1/32 Spitfire E wing cover panels

SB20

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to 1/32 Spitfire E wing cover panels

I know what I needs to be converted, I just dont know where to find the parts.  I have the correct cannon barrels and 50 cal barrels from master, and I can close up the outer ports easily.   What I don't know where to find is the gun panel covers.  The ones in the Cwing kit have the bulge on the inside and I need them on the outside. 

AML makes a conversion set that includes the required panels.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLA32003?result-token=PN4GV 

I used them on my JE-J Jr build. 

IMG_20200713_152206-600x471.jpg

Another option is to get the requisite sprue from the Tamiya XVI kit as all the E wing panels are on the one sprue. 

Carl

Get the relevant sprue from the Mk XVI kit from a Tamiya or a Tamiya agent/stockist.  Then you won't have to deal with any resin shrinkage and you can use plastic cement.  I have used Time Tunnel Models here in the UK with no issues.  You will need Sprue LL number 19116055 and kit number 60321.  The kit needs to be currently available for them to get the sprues though, but the Mk. XVI should be available.

Sprue LL also includes parts for the gun barrels,the wheel well insides with new blisters as well as an undercarriage leg with less of a camber.  You may not need the new blisters and undercarriage leg, however.  The reduced camber was introduced when operations from hard surfaces rather than grass strips became more common, and the reduced camber necessitated the large blisters over the main wheel wells.

Edited by jenshb

def get the Tamiya parts

there are some resin conversions out there but i do not think they are either complete nor super crisp to do justice to the plastic around them

given it's a top quality kit it deserves a top quality solution  - at least that's what I would do

Chances are the resin covers are just recasts of the Tamiya parts anyway, but the relevant sprue also covers additional components that you may use.  See my edited post.

Edited by jenshb

Also, does anyone know if the lowback Spitfire ever had a c wing configuration? If so I can just order the Mk.Xvie and swap parts around.  Or is there a civilian Mk.Xvi with no guns like a racer or something?

Operationally, when the low back Merlin Spits (there were also Mk. IXs with the low back) came on line, the e-wing was all that mattered.  I seem to recall some equipment needed to be relocated to the wing for the low-backs, but I can't be specific, so all low-backs were e-wing.  For civilian conversions or disarmed low-backs I don't know.

In the US, your best bet may be to contact Tamiya US to see if you can purchase the sprue through them.

Edited by jenshb