Best paints for colorful cockpit details?

Citadelgrad

I am working on my first LSP, and have a thread going.  I am having a hard time finding a paint, for example, red, that is actually RED, and will give me a bright red throttle end knob, for example, or a switch cover, etc.

I have long used all of the Vallejo lines for brush painting, but while it looks for for uniforms, and even the white is fine for buttons, the red is pathetic. It's super thin, so it takes many coats, and it's not really red, it's more pink, even after many coats.  I also tried Tamiya red, which I normally avoid trying to brush, Mission Models insignia red, but I can't find anything that is really red and that will cover decently.  

I see such nice, neat balls on the end of levers on many builds and I would like to replicate that.  

34 minutes ago, eHack said:

Are you putting the red over a lighter color base, i.e. white?

I use Vallejo model air red for cockpit knobs and switches after first brush painting it with model air white and they come out nice and red.

Thank you, I will try this.  Makes sense. 

You could always try something like an artists acrylic tube paint like Liquitex or Winsor & Newton or even the common craft acrylic paints found at the dollar store.

These paints are pigment rich, thin easily, brush well and are available in a very wide range of colours. I have been experimenting with them for sometime and they have their place.

cheers, Graham 

2 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

I always use Humbrol enamel paints. For switches I paint them silver to lighten and then apply red or yellow or green.

Jim

Vote number two for Humbrol enamels, I tend to use a toothpick to pick out the fine details like switches.

Cheers

Dennis