They'll never release ------- in 1/32 scale!

mpk

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

An interesting aeroplane, don't like this bit though!

:o

Richard

Experimental , keep swapping engines around , test flights in the middle of the war , unless it was stable as a rock it's probably a fair if sad loss rate. 

Someone will no doubt be along shortly to correct me , but I think around 1/3 of the 330 odd EE Lightnings were lost to accdents , & during peactime and with a lot more hours dedicated to pilot training than in 1940 . 

41 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Experimental , keep swapping engines around , test flights in the middle of the war , unless it was stable as a rock it's probably a fair if sad loss rate. 

Someone will no doubt be along shortly to correct me , but I think around 1/3 of the 330 odd EE Lightnings were lost to accdents , & during peactime and with a lot more hours dedicated to pilot training than in 1940 . 

I counted 89 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_English_Electric_Lightning

Which is a lot - I'm not sure how that compares in terms of losses per flying hour

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I counted 89 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_English_Electric_Lightning

Which is a lot - I'm not sure how that compares in terms of losses per flying hour

Richard

I make it 90 not wishing to be pedantic:sorry: :frantic:*

Lightning F1 6
Lightning F1/3 1
Lightning F1A 13
Lightning F2 2
Lightning F2A 5
Lightning F3 23
Lightning F6 27
Lightning T4 8
Lightning T5 4
Lightning T55 1

Regardless it's still nearly 25% and once you got past the initial "wow it's not a Hunter" and "we haven't quite worked this bit out" accidents, the guys who were flying it were at the top of the RAF tree . A lot were also lost later on due to internal fuel leaks hitting the lower engine and catching fire , causing the use of ejection as the only safe option .

The RAF / FAA lost 2264 aircraft between the dates 1960-2001 . The 1960's were the worst , loosing an average of 118 aircraft a year due to accidents , one every three days ...of course we had a lot more aircraft in circulation then as well .

* I have spreadsheet of all cold war UK mil aircraft losses , by date , type and cause . Happy to share if anyone is ghoulish enough  / interested (PM me and I'll work out a way of getting it to you .) 

Edited by Panzerwomble

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

* I have spreadsheet of all cold war UK mil aircraft losses , by date , type and cause . Happy to share if anyone is ghoulish enough  / interested (PM me and I'll work out a way of getting it to you .) 

It was only a quick count

Have you got the Hawker Hunter that shot itself down?

Richard

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It was only a quick count

Have you got the Hawker Hunter that shot itself down?

Richard

273 Hunter losses ......Um ...not sure I CBA to go through all that detail ! If you know the year however ...

14 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

273 Hunter losses ......Um ...not sure I CBA to go through all that detail ! If you know the year however ...

WT 574, I believe.

WARNING: I know not what the truth may be - I tell the tale as told to me

There was an issue with Hunter engines surging during cannon firing. Basically, the cannon threw out a load of unburnt propellant behind the shell and this was ingested into the engine. When it reached the combustion chamber, it upset the engines digestion

The solution was to reduce the fuel supply during firing via the 'Gun Dipping Valve'. MY understanding is, this Hunter was testing this

The test was to fly straight and level, fire the cannon, then drop down 1000 feet and do it again. The problem was flying straight and level - the aircraft flew through the falling shot from the previous test fire, which also got ingested into the engine...

Richard (Ex Lucas Aerospace apprentice, Shaftmoor Lane)

11 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

No one will EVER produce a 1/32 model of any 1/32 model currently in production.

Zoukie Mura are apparently releasing Me-109's.

9 minutes ago, mpk said:

Zoukie Mura are apparently releasing Me-109's.

I read OBG's post  as "1/32 of 1/32 = 1/1024" ................in which case if we can stretch to 1/1200 there are a couple in that scale that also feature in 1/32 .

...........& sadly it's probably time for another  of Blackburn's finest , named after a beautiful and fast little bird ...the Swift (1923) .

Aparently it had "condescending" flight characteristics. 

swift.jpg

swift2.jpg

On 3/12/2021 at 10:57 PM, RLWP said:

WT 574, I believe.

WARNING: I know not what the truth may be - I tell the tale as told to me

There was an issue with Hunter engines surging during cannon firing. Basically, the cannon threw out a load of unburnt propellant behind the shell and this was ingested into the engine. When it reached the combustion chamber, it upset the engines digestion

The solution was to reduce the fuel supply during firing via the 'Gun Dipping Valve'. MY understanding is, this Hunter was testing this

The test was to fly straight and level, fire the cannon, then drop down 1000 feet and do it again. The problem was flying straight and level - the aircraft flew through the falling shot from the previous test fire, which also got ingested into the engine...

Richard (Ex Lucas Aerospace apprentice, Shaftmoor Lane)

You are correct Richard. Pretty well every offensive aircraft today uses fuel dip for the same reasons for any ordinance which emits gaseous exhaust.

Derek

(Current BAE Systems Hawk Senior Airworthiness Engineer).

Edited by Derek B

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

I read OBG's post  as "1/32 of 1/32 = 1/1024" ................in which case if we can stretch to 1/1200 there are a couple in that scale that also feature in 1/32 .

...........& sadly it's probably time for another  of Blackburn's finest , named after a beautiful and fast little bird ...the Swift (1923) .

Aparently it had "condescending" flight characteristics. 

swift.jpg

swift2.jpg

Why is it so many Brit airplanes look like they were designed by Tolkien?

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

You are correct Richard. Pretty well every offensive aircraft today uses fuel dip for the same reasons for any ordinance which emits gaseous exhaust.

Derek

(Current Hawk Senior Airworthiness Engineer).

The gun dipping valve I'm sure about, having worked on jet fuel systems as an apprentice. The Hunter story I believe to be true.

I think I did something on Adour, can't remember to be sure

Richard