YATC (Yet Another Tamiya Corsair)

Jim Cox

Wow - this is a great and ambitious project!  I'm going to follow this with much interest.  I plan to build this kit one day (it's the 4th of the four Tamiya "super warbirds" on my list - I've got the Zero done, the Mustang in progress, the Spitfire on the shelf, and this one yet to order).  While I probably won't open up anything like the side of the fuselage, I am absolutely bookmarking your excellent cockpit work to come back to when it comes time to detail mine.  Really top shelf stuff.

Dam Jim - alot of framing!!  Very nice.  I meant to ask you - is there any science behind your color selection for the faucet handles on the CO2 tanks?  You have one black (or gray?) and one red.  Mine are both gray, and are total guesses no doubt wrong. 

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Having a blast with this build.

3 hours ago, JayW said:

Dam Jim - alot of framing!!  Very nice.  I meant to ask you - is there any science behind your color selection for the faucet handles on the CO2 tanks?  You have one black (or gray?) and one red.  Mine are both gray, and are total guesses no doubt wrong.

Jay - Just a WAG. I've seen some color photos of restorations with that color scheme, but they're probably inaccurate. I mainly just wanted to add a little visual interest. :lol: From what I've seen of most 'unrestored' cockpits, yours is the more accurate color selection. I've seen them in both silver and black. I'm not aware of any definitive source though. 

It's hard to tell from the pictures - does your cockpit sport a bombing window in the belly?  If so, I think you should paint it over (that's what I did on the 1/18 effort).  The bombing window didn't last; the -1A's didn't get it.  Instead it got a sheet metal cover.

14 hours ago, JayW said:

It's hard to tell from the pictures - does your cockpit sport a bombing window in the belly?  If so, I think you should paint it over (that's what I did on the 1/18 effort).  The bombing window didn't last; the -1A's didn't get it.  Instead it got a sheet metal cover.

The opening for the bomb window is in the resin kit I'm using, but yes, it will be covered once the kit is assembled around the cockpit. I would imagine that window was next to useless in the F4U early models.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, very small update just to bump this thread :P

Work (day job) has been super busy for the past few weeks but I've been SLOWLY working on the tail section. Surprising amount of detail back there. Working out the tail door actuation mechanism now. Small update but progress is being made. Sorry for the lack of pics, more next time.

poEnH13op

Progress pics...

pnzLDiKxj

pmxkE5Rmj

Looking great!  But oh man - what a perfect example of a F4U rube goldberg contraption you are dealing with there.  A chain?  How much of it is going to be visible?  

I will have to deal with this at some point - chains of that size in 1/32 or 1/18 just do not exist.  :(  BTW, if you have not found it yet, the Vought drawing for the mechanism is VS-12850.  Show me the way Jim!

Edited by JayW

53 minutes ago, JayW said:

Looking great!  But oh man - what a perfect example of a F4U rube goldberg contraption you are dealing with there.  A chain?  How much of it is going to be visible?  

I will have to deal with this at some point - chains of that size in 1/32 or 1/18 just do not exist.  :(  BTW, if you have not found it yet, the Vought drawing for the mechanism is VS-12850.  Show me the way Jim!

Thanks Jay! I'll do my best to 'represent' the mechanism but it won't be nearly as detailed as I'm sure yours will be. I have some photo etch that will suggest the chain.

Thanks for the drawing number. I have a few from the manuals but not that one in particular.