Trumpeter 1/32 Harrier GR.7

FreightDog

Bit late in starting this thread but thought I’d record where I’m at so far. 100% o.o.b, with exception of some Airscale instrument decals purchased for the Italeri big Tornado I bought at the same time. The kit has gone together quite well, and I’m now at the painting stage.

Observations:

1) The MFDs are powered up, as I will be adding a ground power cart.

2) I hate the kit ejection seat and PE straps, but couldn’t find a practical alternative so I’m stuck with them. Rubber tyres with no alternative plastic ones supplied. Yuk :-(

3) I haven’t photographed them yet but most of the weapons don’t fit. The fix points don’t match with the pylons at all. Not even the AIM9s which are pretty standard with the AV-8.  I wanted a load out of AIM9s, AGM65 and 4xMk82 Snakeyes... now I know this probably doesn’t represent a real world RAF loadout but it’s my goto in DCS World (those who know, know!).

4) So far it looks like the fit of the whole wing piece is tight enough that I won’t have to glue it, hence I can go back and have a go at detailing the engine later. If anyone has any reference pics of the engine bay I’d be really grateful. Lots on the web of the Pegasus itself but not inside the aircraft.

5) From playing around it looks like the flaps might be posable down by about 15-20 degs but I’m not sure what 1st stage Harrier flap is. If it’s more than about 30 then I probably won’t be able to bodge it so I’ll have to do them retracted.

pics of what I’ve done so far:

2x expensive plastic purchases. Harrier first on bench though

6g7MmAT.jpg

First use of the Mr Surfacer Black as a primer. I like it. Tamiya used on top

47QovUY.jpg

basic coat of a few different Alclads on the engine. Too subtle for these pics

ykm4DDA.jpg

cockpit done. Eject handle done later with black acrylic pen 

pAeZxIR.jpg

seems to dry fit ok

2TEhXPQ.jpg

tamiya white over the black primer then Alcoa’s acqua gloss then Tamiya panel line accent.

SYEy2gc.jpg

the HUD was extremely fiddly and tested all my fine motor skills! Sorry it’s not in focus
ZSUuRQQ.jpg

Fuse sections assembled. Very very tight with the wheel bays jammed in as well. 

U9FNeHG.jpg

wing & flying surfaces on, playing with partially deployed flaps

GDOeRQ7.jpg

I had to sand the seam off on the main canopy. Tried and tried to polish it with the sanders & tamiya polishing compound, then remembered I still had some old Klear so dipped it. Night & day. Now I’m going to have to remove the front screen and dip that so they match!

2xREKYX.jpg

yep it looks like a Harrier. Nozzles painted & dry fitted. That’s 99% of the aircraft done. Relief I’m at the stage of a kit where I think it’s all going to come together!

zLM5DJU.jpg

Coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 black because I thought I’d try it. All looked well so I applied Tamiya sky grey, but only then could I see a nasty ledge where the intakes join. I don’t think the black works in terms of spotting defects.  That sorted, I re-did it then realised the flying leatherneck canopy masks didn’t do the inner yellowish frame on harrier canopies so did that manually.

Any ideas for how to do the canopy detonation cord very gratefully received. 

27uTXTO.jpg

b1Mts8H.jpg

9 hours ago, Whitey said:

Looking good.

Flying Leathernecks do a detcord for the Harrier.

Thanks for that, I’ll have a scout. My earlier searches came up blank.

Left the Tamiya to dry overnight then gave it a scrub with some micro mesh. Tamiya paints I find very easy to airbrush but don’t half dry dusty. Coated with Alclad klear kote gloss. By the time I arrive back from my work trip next week should be ready for washed decals & final touch up.

uf9qB82.jpg

This arrived a couple of days ago. Going to source a base probably from Coastal Kits. Didn’t realise how much of this GPU was etch. I hate etch so this might not end well Ho hum.

we8lRYD.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

Lovely work.

I wish my copy had fallen together like that. It’s fought me at every turn thanks to the wings being super warped. 
never have I wanted to not finish a kit before, but I’m close to it with my harrier. 

No way sorry to hear that. Hard to spot defects like that till you’ve started, which can be years after purchase.  Hope you beat it!  

5 hours ago, FreightDog said:

No way sorry to hear that. Hard to spot defects like that till you’ve started, which can be years after purchase.  Hope you beat it!  

I won’t be sure if I have until I’ve painted it. I’ve decided to make that choice after it’s finished. If I can’t live with the wings, it’ll be junked.