Pacific Coast Models Hawker Tempest

dennismcc

13 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Looks absolutely superb Dennis, that paintwork looks so smooooth!

Regards.Andy 

Thank you Andy, I cannot take the credit for the smooth paintwork, that's down to the Xtracolor paints, they really do deliver.

Cheers

Dennis

Time for the HGW wet transfers, and a big thank you to the clear tutorials that have appeared here on LSP for encouraging me to try them.

Way back in 2009 I still did not like decals so I tried some Hobbydecal dry transfers which worked well, though the English was not the best, but they were hard to find so I was left with using decals.

So I bought two of these, one for this build and one for a future SH Tempest build

spacer.png

This is what is in the packet.

spacer.png

Instructions

spacer.png

As well as the  instructions, there is also a very helpful video on the internet from HGW, the instructions on the packet do say it all.

spacer.png

So on with the show all ready to go warm water, Mr Softener, tweezers, new #11 blade, cotton buds and a toothpick..

spacer.png

I have read that others have used a different decal solution but I was taking no chances and used the recommended one.

And it was really easy, applying them was easier than normal decals as they are a bit more tolerant to handling than ordinary decals.

A tip that I did pick up from here on LSP was to turn a corner up on the film to aid removal.

I did all the stencils on one wing (bottom of) and left them well alone for a day.

Removing the film was easy and I was just left with the stencil, a quick wipe with a wet (water) cotton bud and any residue was gone, and they looked great.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the stencils for the Tempest there is an emergency canopy jam rescue stencil in red which I could not find on any photos of Tempests, a search revealed a post on Britmodeller started by the Typhoon and Tempest guru Chris Thomas which identifies that this is a post war stencil, so thank you Chris.

That's all for now

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

I thought it was about time that I updated this build so here we go.

I struggled a bit with masking the wing walkways then I remembered my stretchy bendy Tamiya tape and then it was easy peasy.

spacer.png

I did wonder about using a dark grey for the walkways but in the end went for RAF Night (Xtracolor)

spacer.png

Then followed lots of paint touch ups as I had built up ridges in the paint when airbrushing the green using the masks, so these were smoothed back and the places were I was a bit too enthusiastic were touched up.

Then it was time to damp down the glossy Xtracolor finish, for this I used Xtracolor Satin XDSS, as the Tempest in 1/32 is a bit big I decided to do this in two shots, so first of all the undersides were airbrushed. Usually I think up a cunning way to hold the model and airbrush both sides at once but was stumped this time.

spacer.png

This was left to dry and then holding onto the model by a wing the upper sides were airbrushed, notice the still shiny bit where I was holding it, this was airbrushed when the rest was dry.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then it was time to wrap things up and add all the finishing touches

spacer.png

spacer.png

The prop assembly looked a bit of a puzzle, it reminded me of the old resin conversions that I built years ago, and there was not template to get the angles right, however after a couple of dry fits I was happy that I could get the angles on the blades correct using the cut outs on the spinner and back plate using diagrams and photos of the real thing.

The central hub was not a great fit to the back plate but a bit of sanding and scraping improved the fit, the blades were then dry fitted to the hub and the hub glued to the back plate.

spacer.png

And the spinner was then fitted, not a great fit but it will do.

spacer.png

That's all for now

Cheers

Dennis

On 5/30/2021 at 8:33 AM, MikeMaben said:

:speak_cool::popcorn:

Thank you Mike, it is nearly over and I am pleased that I have got this far and I do like the look of it.

12 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Most impressive Dennis.  Homeward bound.  

Thank you Troy, from a very unpromising start I'm now liking it

Cheers

Dennis

2 hours ago, Alex said:

That’s looking fantastic.  The paint job is flawless!  And the HGW stencils really do put a perfect final touch on it.

Thank you Alex, the HGW stencils worked great, I only had a problem with two of them but the really noticeable ones went on fine, maybe I need to "tune" my technique a bit. Just doing some touch up on the wing tanks and add the IFF and radio aerials and it's done.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally on the last lap, I've just finished putting the decals on the wing tank fairings and as others have mentioned the decals are one line short so I have had to resort to silver paint.

The under carriage going on.

spacer.png

All the final bits and pieces

spacer.png

and the wing tanks

spacer.png

Prop loosely attached

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just the aerials, wing tanks gun barrels and some dirtying up to do now and she's finished, the attachment points for the wing tanks are a bit vague so I will probably use canopy glue to attach them and wipe off any excess with cotton buds.

Cheers

Dennis

8 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Thats a very good looking plane.  I might have to get one of these.  Is the Revell version the same kit?   I really like the lines and finish of this. Great job.  Push her over the line. 

Thank you for that and no the PCM kit is a very different animal to the Revell/Special Hobby kit which is a lot newer and a better kit, I've got the Special Hobby version in the stash. Unless you like ancient 60's and 70's kits I would leave the PCM kit alone.

However I am very pleased with the result, it looks very much like a Tempest, graceful and brutal looking at the same time, purposeful may be a better description.

Cheers

Dennis