Pacific Coast Models Hawker Tempest

dennismcc

That is just a clever idea to use the wire rods taped to the bottom masking cardboard to help handling the model while painting. Definitely have to try this!

And the model itself looks nice; keep going. I've always liked the rough look of the Tempest.

nice Dennis!

where did you get those Tempest wet transfer?!

they are like hens' teeth!

i ordered some from HGW but either they didn't arrive or (more likely) I have mislaid them :doh:

Big H has them on pre-order but that's it for UK sellers as far as i can see

anyway, looking forward to seeing more of this one!

Nick

4 hours ago, Jaro said:

That is just a clever idea to use the wire rods taped to the bottom masking cardboard to help handling the model while painting. Definitely have to try this!

And the model itself looks nice; keep going. I've always liked the rough look of the Tempest.

Thank you for the nice words, I have tried some strange looking devices to hold my model while airbrushing but this way seems to work the best.

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

nice Dennis!

where did you get those Tempest wet transfer?!

they are like hens' teeth!

i ordered some from HGW but either they didn't arrive or (more likely) I have mislaid them :doh:

Big H has them on pre-order but that's it for UK sellers as far as i can see

anyway, looking forward to seeing more of this one!

Nick

Hi Nick, in Chucks superb SH Tempest build he mentioned that UMM (USA) had them in stock so I took a punt and contacted them and sure enough they had them in stock and I bought two sets, one for this build and one for the SH version.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=48_87_118&products_id=8726

I think that I had to e mail them to sort out postage

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Just catching up, and it has been a lot of fun following your work! For what it’s worth, I purchased my wet transfers from BNA Model World.

Cheers,  Tom

Luckily it has turned into a fun build, my fault really for getting into the Hasegawa mode of building, now I'm back to PCM/SH type mindset and it's good.

Cheers

Dennis

10 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Luckily it has turned into a fun build, my fault really for getting into the Hasegawa mode of building, now I'm back to PCM/SH type mindset and it's good.

Cheers

Dennis

That's going to be my life here soon - wrapping up the Tamiya Mustang, but the next GB subject comes from Special Hobby.  Back to "real modeling"!  Glad you are enjoying the Tempest build.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, dennismcc said:

There was some small gaps at the wing root and the join between the lower wing sections, these were filled with Mr Surfacer 1200 the excess was removed with a cotton bud soaked in Mr Color Thinner.

Now why have I not thought to try that?  Brilliant solution that I'm now itching to try out.  Why have I been sanding the stuff all along?!?

12 hours ago, Thunnus said:

First layers of paint are nicely smooth and shiny!  I wish all Tamiya paints in the flat range were glossy or at least satin like Mr Hobby Aqueous or AK RC.

Hi John, I love the glossy finish of Xtracolor, it always seems strange to me to apply matt paint then gloss it for decals and then apply matt varnish, it is necessary some time when I need a colour that only comes in matt but most times I use Xtracolor and Colourcoats which dries satin.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

That's going to be my life here soon - wrapping up the Tamiya Mustang, but the next GB subject comes from Special Hobby.  Back to "real modeling"!  Glad you are enjoying the Tempest build.

Enjoy the Tamiya experience while you can, the SH experience takes a while to get used to but that sense of accomplishment makes it worthwhile in the end

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Now why have I not thought to try that?  Brilliant solution that I'm now itching to try out.  Why have I been sanding the stuff all along?!?

It's the lazy modeller in me that started it, sanding is not my favourite pastime  so the Mr Surfacer/Mr Color thinner/cotton bud works for me, It does work a lot faster and easier than sanding but sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it right. And it leaves a nice panel line afterwards, saves rescribing.

Cheers

Dennis

Now the serious stuff, I'm being lazy and will be using paint masks for the camouflage, and no I am not getting into the real thing paint mats debate.

I used to spend a couple of modelling sessions cutting out paper paint masks, then applying them to the model with Blu Tac sausages to give that very fine feathered edge look, I really like the effect but not the effort required, hence I will be using these.

HgUmpL.jpg

gzAxuR.jpg

BzA8EZ.jpg

mVmmfH.jpg

And off we go, these are designed for the SH kit so I had to use Tamiya tape in a couple of places though that may have been me being fumble fingered.

Looks the part now, just with the masks on.

DcDRAV.jpg

UDVtrs.jpg

Next paint

Cheers

Dennis

13 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Go Dennis, go!

Kev

Thanks Kev, it's now painted and sitting on the shelf drying, I will inspect it later to see how well it turned out, again I was amazed at the amount of paint that I used just on the green bits.

Cheers

Dennis