Fokker F.I 103/17 - Werner Voss 1917 - FIN!

Out2gtcha

22 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

...but still is a bit of a kick in the jumblies.

hvxtTTI.jpg?1

Bummer... :-/

I had pretty much the same thing with the lozenge on my D.VII -for the Aviattic decals the undercoat needs to be super, super glossy, or the transparancy of the decals will show silvering mercilessly... I thought mine was pretty glossy when I started the lower wings, but it wasn't, especially near the wing ribs and centers of panels, which resulted in lots of silvering -almost inpossible to photograph, but quite visible with the naked eye. 

I shot another coat of X-22 to make it really, really shine and then it went better. I also found out that putting micro sol or mr mark sol underneath the decals will work better than on top, especially as the mr mark stuff is quite strong and wil easily remove the (laser) print from the carrier.

When done, though, they can look superb, I'm still amazed I pulled it off, especially as doing decals is one of the things I dislike the most about modelling :S This is how it went on the top, after I had learned that lesson (though the stitching is less pronounced on a D.VII, the decals are very flexible and can even be stretched over details, I didn't cut the decal to go over the aileron hinge yet!)

2018-04-0320.34.18.jpg

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S

26 minutes ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Bummer... :-/

I had pretty much the same thing with the lozenge on my D.VII -for the Aviattic decals the undercoat needs to be super, super glossy, or the transparancy of the decals will show silvering mercilessly... I thought mine was pretty glossy when I started the lower wings, but it wasn't, especially near the wing ribs and centers of panels, which resulted in lots of silvering -almost inpossible to photograph, but quite visible with the naked eye. 

I shot another coat of X-22 to make it really, really shine and then it went better. I also found out that putting micro sol or mr mark sol underneath the decals will work better than on top, especially as the mr mark stuff is quite strong and wil easily remove the (laser) print from the carrier.

When done, though, they can look superb, I'm still amazed I pulled it off, especially as doing decals is one of the things I dislike the most about modelling :S This is how it went on the top, after I had learned that lesson (though the stitching is less pronounced on a D.VII, the decals are very flexible and can even be stretched over details, I didn't cut the decal to go over the aileron hinge yet!)

2018-04-0320.34.18.jpg

Jeroen

Yep, I actually did all that with the exception of using my normal MRP clear. AAMOF, I did the exact same procedure as I used on my D VII Aviatic decals, which turned out beautifully. Still not sure what the difference was, but its moot at this point, since I wont be changing anything 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

C'mon Brian,.......

You're so close to being done. You can't let this slip back to page 6 my friend! Werner Voss is patiently waiting for his ride to be finished.

Of course you are right my friend. I've just been delayed more lately by an upcoming 2 week trip the wife and I are taking to the Great Smokey Moutanins Ntl park. 

The dreidecker is very close.  I've actually gotten the two machine gun assemblies completed but not fully assembled, weathered or attached yet. 

The other thing I need to do is get the control surface cables attached and rigging complete. After that its really some very basic assembly. 

I'm hoping to get back to Herr Voss's ride tonight! 

On 3/17/2021 at 1:08 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, I actually did all that with the exception of using my normal MRP clear. AAMOF, I did the exact same procedure as I used on my D VII Aviatic decals, which turned out beautifully. Still not sure what the difference was, but its moot at this point, since I wont be changing anything 

Real bummer when that happens, as I wrote, I know the feeling all to well, especially as the sides on my D.VII went very well. What I found the most helpful was putting the sol underneath the decals, just before sliding them in place. But, as you say, other than rip it all off and re-doing it (which would be a shame to do!) I chalked it up as experience for myself.  I really dislike doing decals anyway, so I have no idea why I was building a model almost completely covered in them :D )  

Jeroen

Thanks gents!  Yes, it can be hard to see, but to the Mk 1 eyeball its pretty easy. Especially if you were a contest judge. Oh well, I think the issue was that while the MRP paint I shot (bleached linen) was good, I think there were some issues with my Iwata airbrush and the paint did not come out as smooth as it had in the past.

I think now looking back, as the wings got most of the silvering, I should have smoothed out the nail head detail on all the ribs and gave the whole thing and overall clear instead of a paint polish.

As you say I have chalked it up to experience!

I have the machine guns completd, and some of the ammo chutes nearly done, as well as the upper wing aileron control lines.  Pics soon

Aaaaaarg!

Time has caught up with me once again.

I've used ALL of my past weekends 3 days off in prepping our off road trailer for an upcoming May 1st trip.

However, I'm SO close on this little guy, I'd love to be able to finish this one out before we leave.

I will also got on some progress pics too, as they will likely be the last WIP pics before final completion.

Hoping to be back on this one tonight and/or tomorrow.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt, and yes, just looking to finish this one up with dignity at this point. The trip we are taking in about a week and a half has me pressing to fix mechanical issues with our tow vehicle, on top of seasonal prep work to get our trailer ready for the off-road season ahead. 

All of this has kept me busy on all of my days off, but I did manage to sneak at least a few nights work in on the little tripe. Nearly the entire thing is completed save adding the lower aileron braces, landing gear rigging, prop and aileron control lines as well as final assembly. I figure about 1 more good nights session and it should be finished.

I was trying to get the little tripe finished up while enjoying some British telly with the wife but my 19 lber and my 26lber decided to pull a Ying & Yang right where I was trying to build on the coffee table, so had to pack up and head back to the main bench (nothing but terrestrial radio down there atm)

20210417_110523-X2.jpg

After heading back to the bench, I got the rudder added as well as the OOB machine guns that I had built previously. After annealing, and painting, these really didnt turn out too bad.
The lower wing spare and lower panel were attached and all the weathering that Im going to do to the model is now done. I would have to have supposed that Voss's machine lived a fairly short life and wouldnt have had anything too severe, so I didnt want to go overboard. Besides, heavy weathering or damage didnt match any photos I have of Voss's kite.

Anywho on with the pics:

Engine complete and ready to be attached to that tiny fuselage:

20210417_235059-XL.jpg

(crappily aligned pic sorry bout that)

20210417_234840-XL.jpg

Engine is setting in place atm:

20210417_234855-XL.jpg

Painting, let alone weathering prior to assembly is super foreign to me, and WWI stuff is always an exercise to some degree, out of my comfort zone.

20210417_234902-XL.jpg

20210417_234907-XL.jpg

20210417_234922-XL.jpg

20210417_234947-XL.jpg

20210417_235405-XL.jpg

I really do like the look of the shiny oil and leak weathering over the flat fabric. The contrast always to me gives more realism

20210417_235418-XL.jpg

My cell camera is old now, and starting to do funny things. I guess the angels approve of the fit of the top wing as much as I do.....just looks like some odd "heavenly"

type light treatment.

20210417_235726-XL.jpg

That could also be used to describe the actual fit of the entire kit honestly. People are going to have to give me some definitive proof that this isn't WnW engineering with fit like this.

All 3 wings fit basically perfectly in place, and perfectly in relation to each other. The top wing is just set on yet still fits and aligns perfectly with the fuselage and the other two wings:

20210417_235732-XL.jpg

20210417_235816-XL.jpg

Even with all the silvering (which is much less evident with the whole model together, as it really takes attention to the overall look) I must admit that it still turned out to be a very attractive, if all be it not super well done model.

20210417_235838-XL.jpg

20210417_235848-XL.jpg

This is the last installment prior to finishing this little guy up. It was fun! Id HIGHLY recommend this kit to anyone who wants a tripe, and is willing to put in about 20 min worth of hot water correcting. 

Thanks lads, and will hopefully have this one finished off long before we leave on our trip on the 29th of this month. 

Cheers! 

That's looking very good, Brian!

The silvering issues jou had do not show the pictures.

I like the oily muck thrown out by the rotary you added and keep the rest of the airframe relatively clean.

After all, most of the planes in WW1 didn't last long.

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by mgbooyv8