Fokker F.I 103/17 - Werner Voss 1917 - FIN!

Out2gtcha

On 3/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks all.............

Well sometimes when you start a build as a MoJo builder, it can turn into a MoJo destroyer. This is what has happened here unfortunately. 

Ive never had the issue with decals I have had here. Everything worked out pretty decent, except for the wings. For some reason, Im thinking it was the sharp nature of the nail detail on the wings.

I was thinking of sanding them back a tad, but having X WnW employees talk about them, indicating they were good OOB. In hind site that probably was a mistake when utilizing overall decals like the Aviatic type.

The fuselage, horizontal stab and rudder all turned out Ok. The wing decals turned out good...................before I applied any decal set to them. Having done it successfully on the fuse and other areas, I figured they would be fine too. Wrong. I may have put the decal softener on too soon, but not sure. 

There were no air bubbles or silvering that I could see prior to an application of Micro-sol. After the application of micro sol, lots of silvering areas started showing up on both the upper and lower sections of all 3 wings. Blech. I thought it might go away with an application of flat clear, which did help,  but did not get rid of the marks, which are still visible. 

*Sigh*

Well, this hasn't killed the build, but it sure has dampened my spirits for it a bit. Thankfully, there is little rigging on this one, so I still should be able to finish it, but it wont be entered in any contests, and likely not seen by anyone other than you guys when done.

Not a huge deal I guess, and it wont turn out anywhere near the way I wanted, but will force myself to continue on with the build and clear it off my bench.

Cheers, 

I’ve been following along on your build, Brian, using it as inspiration for my own build of this kit. It’s really unfortunate that you’ve had the problems with the Aviattic decals. I have a set myself and hopefully I’ll have better luck. Nonetheless I hope you push on and finish it up as it was looking so good already. Have you tried heat from a hair dryer to coax the decals to conform to the rib stitching?

Cheers,

Wolf

17 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

I’ve been following along on your build, Brian, using it as inspiration for my own build of this kit. It’s really unfortunate that you’ve had the problems with the Aviattic decals. I have a set myself and hopefully I’ll have better luck. Nonetheless I hope you push on and finish it up as it was looking so good already. Have you tried heat from a hair dryer to coax the decals to conform to the rib stitching?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf. I had let it set overnight to see if that helped but it really didnt. I even got some silvering around the sides of the fuselage, so it wasn't just the rib stitching that did me it.

It might have been I didnt let the decals set long enough before applying micro sol, as the decals react like this to micro-sol or Solvaset. The only thing that really seemed to lessen/help the issue was a flat clear.

Too late now anyway, as Ive just decided to push on with the build and get it over with.

Pics in a min......

Well here we are gents. This is about as good as its going to get. The effect seems lessened in pics, but as a builder, even when I dont plan on entering contests with a model, I still build them to be contest ready.....................

This one just didnt turn out that way, and thats Ok. My late father was a believer in "cant win em all" and this was a MoJo builder to start, so I might as well just finish it and get the build done as well as I can.

Here we are. All the massive silvering all over the model, along with the flat clear on the fabric areas makes the effect slightly less noticable:

20210313_180640-X2.jpg

20210313_180841-X2.jpg

20210313_180853-X2.jpg

20210313_180905-X2.jpg

20210313_180914-X2.jpg

20210313_180948-X2.jpg

20210313_180954-X2.jpg

20210313_180959-X2.jpg

20210313_181102-X2.jpg

The fuselage and especially cowl turned out better than I had hoped, and the paint match seemed good. I left the semi-gloss sheen of the MRP olive green paint on the metal areas, as I love the contrast of the semi-shiny metal areas VS the flat wood and fabric areas:

20210313_181218-X2.jpg

20210313_181258-X2.jpg

20210313_181305-X2.jpg

20210313_181311-X2.jpg

20210313_181315-X2.jpg

20210313_181323-X2.jpg

20210313_181327-X2.jpg

20210313_181335-X2.jpg

20210313_181339-X2.jpg

20210313_181402-X2.jpg

Its on to forging ahead with the ammo chutes, guns and and the various supports and few bits of rigging.

Cheers! 

Hhhmmmm,

Got to agree with Jeff as it doesn’t appear to be that bad at all in the photos.

By the way, if you want replacement decals for the wheels, let me know. I’m pretty sure the wheels on my build are red so I won’t be using ‘em.

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, JT68 said:

It looks good in the pics Brian, its a shame the silvering shows up so bad in person.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Yea, unless I'm completely looking in the wrong places or not recognizing it for what it is, the only area, where I see "massive" amounts of silvering is in the last photo on the underside, just undernaeth the pilot on the right side in the photo. Other than that it looks good to me. Not good, awesome. But then again I don't know what your standards are, higher than mine probably, or I just need larger detail shots to rip it apart ;)

That's all, it is very kind of you to say. 

Yes, the pics did seem to hide a lot of the issue. IRL, though there are many many spots all over that have either tiny bubbles or obvious silvering under the decals. The flat did hide a lot of it, but also it's all over, so a bit less noticeable that it might have been if they were smaller decals randomly placed.

I guess I should be pleased that it's harder to see in pics, but still easy for any modeler worth his salt to see in person.

I've glued the lower wing, lower wing struts and lower fuse cover on. I will be getting the guns next, then will be tackling the minor rigging and control wires.

Thanks all!