Fokker F.I 103/17 - Werner Voss 1917 - FIN!

Out2gtcha

Nicely done Brian!

Out of curiosity, what reference did you use for the colour of the seat? I was under the impression that the seat back was made of aluminium covered with leather on the front and the seat bottom was wood with a leather cushion. I have very limited resources on the Dr. 1 so I’m intrigued.

Cheers,

Wolf

Got some more dry assembly fitting done, This thing fits really, REALLY well together.  People are going to have to try really hard to convince me the fit and engineering of this kit is not WnW-esk. 

Everything from here on in is simply held together with the pressure of the fit of the parts or simply gravity itself.

The fuselage to wing + cabane struts hold the upper wing in perfect position. No alignment needed really:

i-SbHrcfP-X2.jpg

i-dTJmX5v-X2.jpg

i-jMnrmWw-X2.jpg

With the center wing glued in position, and some liquid mask holding the cowl on, Im just about ready for paint. Its so tiny, Im definitely going to have to buy and build another of these!

i-MRtjtqF-X2.jpg

I decided to see if I could dry fit most everything, including all 3 wings with no tape, and only the fuselage glued together. All 3 wings, the front under fuselage panel, cowl, horizontal stabilizer, elevator, rudder, ailerons, center fuselage struts and cabane struts are all just setting there, no glue, no tape. No filler at ALL so far, and no seams on the fuselage, nor on the mid-wing to fuselage joint. This thing is really well engineered: 

i-3RNMJtH-X2.jpg

i-MspsZ7V-X2.jpg

i-fzZbhH4-X2.jpg

i-DBZwdsM-X2.jpg

i-KdT6MDN-X2.jpg

i-ktscCJC-X2.jpg

Again, a pretty good idea of size/scale here:

i-DwcrVMS-X2.jpg

All that breaks down to this:

i-5vKWkdk-XL.jpg

As with most WWI stuff, you have to do a lot of the painting and what not separately, which is a bit odd for me, but not that odd when doing WWI stuff, as its pretty much the way it has to be with fabric covered stuff, and rigging and the like.

All separate parts ready for some paint!

i-9Z8fRc8-XL.jpg

i-FMDqjvb-XL.jpg

i-KJ7kStx-XL.jpg

A nice glossy coat of MRP-256 Bleached clear doped linen. It may look like straight white in this light, but its defintily got a slight yellowish/aged dope kind of look to it when compared to straight white. I thought it more appropriate than straight up white:

i-vSNWJrq-XL.jpg

i-fSDHj6K-XL.jpg

i-cq6kWBL-XL.jpg

i-SMdDgZ7-XL.jpg

Its now on to matching the light blue on the bottom (likely MRP-58/RLM 65 or something similar) and the dark green on the top. This may be a bit  more of a daunting task, as I have 7 possible green candidates. 

Spray tests with the above likely to start tomorrow.

Cheers till your older!

You wont regret it Mike, its a lovely little kit, and other than the wing warp fix and starboard cockpit side broken off the sprue, its a no-brainer to get. 

The fit is really remarkable I have to say. If this kit didnt come from a WnW engineers mine, I must be insane, cause it sure does feel like it in every way. 

I don't know how I missed this WIP up until now, but I had to sub it right away. BRILLIANT. You are doing and using almost exactly what I am planning to do. However, I'm all over the Richthofen birds as I want to try and do up all his actual service mules. This build is going into my reference folder for later use. 

Also thanks for posting closeups of the Aviattic stuff. I'm anxiously awaiting their release of the missing Richthofen decals that they have already done for the Rodent, sadly though there is no ETA for them as yet. And, as if that was necessary, this WIP finally sealed the deal for me on their stuff as well. Really looking forward to seeing this finished. And I can still remember the day I received my 2 Mengs and marvelling at the quality and posting pics of it - both mine are of the all wings warped type - but luckily without broken off pieces. And considering my plans, I may just grab another few of these.

1 hour ago, sky said:

I don't know how I missed this WIP up until now, but I had to sub it right away. BRILLIANT. You are doing and using almost exactly what I am planning to do. However, I'm all over the Richthofen birds as I want to try and do up all his actual service mules. This build is going into my reference folder for later use. 

Also thanks for posting closeups of the Aviattic stuff. I'm anxiously awaiting their release of the missing Richthofen decals that they have already done for the Rodent, sadly though there is no ETA for them as yet. And, as if that was necessary, this WIP finally sealed the deal for me on their stuff as well. Really looking forward to seeing this finished. And I can still remember the day I received my 2 Mengs and marvelling at the quality and posting pics of it - both mine are of the all wings warped type - but luckily without broken off pieces. And considering my plans, I may just grab another few of these.

Thanks!   Me too, as I really like Manfred's ride with the green streaking and all red tail and upper wing.  I was even considering grabbing one of the Roden sheets, but if they are planning a Richthofen Meng edition of their decals Ill definitely wait then.  

I did find a single sink mark in the upper metal section of the middle wing saddle that had to be filled, and also have to mask off the green sections for paint as well. 

While the filler on the sink mark dries, as well as the now glued on elevator, I have been doing some paint experiments.

7 greens and one blue (that just happened to be as close as I needed!

20210301_191031-X2.jpg

20210301_191023-X2.jpg

And the winners are, MRP-67/RLM 78, and MRP-35/Olive Green!    Ive got some more sanding and then masking to do, as I have to shoot the white under color for the green, as I need to apply Voss's face on the cowl front before painting the green.

OR, I may just mask things off, shoot the green, then shoot the white face over that. We shall see!

Cheers for now. 

Some slight progress.....

The sink mark I spoke of earlier that had to he filled after the fact and repainted:

20210304_181601-X2.jpg

20210304_181606-X2.jpg

Also had the turtle deck seam reappear just a tiny bit, so had to smooth that out before paint too:

20210304_181616-X2.jpg

Got the rims prepped for the decals and tires painted:

20210305_151905-X2.jpg

Then promptly ruined the decals and scratched the hell out of both exterior side wheel decals and had to remove all 4 wheel decals with Tamiya tape:

20210305_151852-X2.jpg

Arrrrrggg! Was this a sign of dreadful things to come with the much, MUCH larger full fuselage and wing decals?!??

Yikes, the Aviatic decals are nice in that they look great, and do conform fairly well with setting solution, but the the printing on the decals is really delicate.

Next up after re-spraying some more bleached linen, I marked off the bleached linen on the wings/fuse/tail and shot some white on the cowl and printed out some home made masks on my Silhouette. Not perfect bu any means, but close enough for me:

20210305_221818-X2.jpg

20210305_221812-X2.jpg

Next up I shot the olive green. The face is really rough atm & needs lots of cleanup and finish sanding, but the shape is pretty decent:

20210305_231023-X2.jpg

Well, as scary as it feels atm, there is about to be decal frenzy starting soon!

Cheers for now

Great work Brian.

Regarding rough masks for the face and all that. Honestly, I think (no evidence I can show!) these birds were painted by hand using brushes and whatnot, so I would not expect the edges of anything to be really really crisp. A little frayed fringe would probably be adequate. 

Bummer on the wheel decals though.

Thanks all.............

Well sometimes when you start a build as a MoJo builder, it can turn into a MoJo destroyer. This is what has happened here unfortunately. 

Ive never had the issue with decals I have had here. Everything worked out pretty decent, except for the wings. For some reason, Im thinking it was the sharp nature of the nail detail on the wings.

I was thinking of sanding them back a tad, but having X WnW employees talk about them, indicating they were good OOB. In hind site that probably was a mistake when utilizing overall decals like the Aviatic type.

The fuselage, horizontal stab and rudder all turned out Ok. The wing decals turned out good...................before I applied any decal set to them. Having done it successfully on the fuse and other areas, I figured they would be fine too. Wrong. I may have put the decal softener on too soon, but not sure. 

There were no air bubbles or silvering that I could see prior to an application of Micro-sol. After the application of micro sol, lots of silvering areas started showing up on both the upper and lower sections of all 3 wings. Blech. I thought it might go away with an application of flat clear, which did help,  but did not get rid of the marks, which are still visible. 

*Sigh*

Well, this hasn't killed the build, but it sure has dampened my spirits for it a bit. Thankfully, there is little rigging on this one, so I still should be able to finish it, but it wont be entered in any contests, and likely not seen by anyone other than you guys when done.

Not a huge deal I guess, and it wont turn out anywhere near the way I wanted, but will force myself to continue on with the build and clear it off my bench.

Cheers,