Fokker F.I 103/17 - Werner Voss 1917 - FIN!

Out2gtcha

Ok, a bit late on the progress but hey ho.............

Starting off with just some pit work. I have the side interiors of the fuselage painted with MRP white which is fairly glossy right out of the bottle. I then applied the Aviatic interior decals, both wooden and fabric, for the seat, behind seat bulkhead and sides of fuselage.

Everything just freshly painted here and dry fit. Nothing glued, weathered ect. The wooden floor is painted with MRP non-bleached linen and covered with Uschi wood decal:

20210213_201154-XL.jpg

20210213_201206-X2.jpg

The Aviatic fabric decals do look great up close and personal. They will look even better once not so glossy and shot with a flat coat. Fit is DEFINITELY WnW like:

20210213_201243-X2.jpg

One of the smaller things that is a bit annoying lookin (to me anyway) is there is a space (an accurate space I believe though) between the back edge of the wooden cockpit floor and the behind seat bulkhead. Not super sure what is should look like, but in the model it allows the lower fuselage seam to possibly be seen. So, not 100% what it should look like I cut some thin plastic card and will paint it wood to hide the lower seam. The seat bulkhead also needs to have its decals applied, and painted and weathered as well. 
Not 100% it will be fully visible when done, but dont want to take a chance:

20210213_202825-X2.jpg

20210213_203000-X2.jpg

20210213_202938-X2.jpg

A fairly cool feature that none have brought up yet, that isn't a huge deal, but kinda cool to me, is the free floating PE. No little nubs to sand off here, just remove the backing and then front covering, anneal it and then paint!

20210214_162721-X2.jpg

20210214_162729-X2.jpg

I've got all the interior finished up mostly, and a flat coat applied to the bare wood and fabric areas. I still have to detail paint, weather and assemble things, but Im well on my way to completing the interior. 

I also managed to come up with a corrected Voss cowl face too, as the OOB decal is a blatant rip off of the horribly incorrect Roden decals it appears to me. 

If you would like a copy of the correcte Voss face, please stop by the Scale Model Paint Mask forums:

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php?/topic/414-werner-voss-corrected-cowl-face/

Werner%20Voss%20-%20Corrected%20Face%20F

All for now gents 

Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Very interesting little project, Brian!  Can you go over the annealing process in a little more detail?  Why do you do it and how?

Really nothing to it John. I rarely ever use PE seatbelts, but with WWI stuff I tend to do OOB with them.

The Meng PE belts are not quite as thick as the steel plate like PE in older Trumpeter kits, but their PE is still fairly thick, thicker than your average Eduard stuff. This has led me to annealing them.

Really it only takes an average cigarette type lighter. 

I just held the lighter under the PE belt sections while I held onto them with some locking tweezers until they start turning colors (red, gold, green, bluish).

After that, just let the PE cool down naturally, and you have nice flexible no longer "springy" PE belts.

They now will confirm really well to the seat, and act much more like lead than brass, and lose much of their memory. You can even display PE belts with small wrinkles twists in them for added interest, without having them spring out of position.

12 hours ago, Sepp said:

Excellent work - and a big thumbs-up for that PE... I absolutely hate trimming the inevitable tags off itty-bitty parts. Please let it be a glimpse of the future!

Agreed! I really love not having to trim minuscule nubs off already delicate PE parts.

These Meng PE belts are super simplified, and not really very accurate for the DR.1, but I bent and painted them up as best I could, as in the end they turned out looking very decent.

Cheers!

Another nice reason to anneal is to make the mg cooling jackets more pliable when you roll them into a cylinder. Note the duration of heat exposure needed can vary considerably, depending on the type and thickness of metal. I have “fond” memories of annealing Tamiya photoetch, which can be thick as a dinner plate!

Cheers,  Tom

4 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Another nice reason to anneal is to make the mg cooling jackets more pliable when you roll them into a cylinder. Note the duration of heat exposure needed can vary considerably, depending on the type and thickness of metal. I have “fond” memories of annealing Tamiya photoetch, which can be thick as a dinner plate!

Cheers,  Tom

Yep!  The Meng PE is not quite as thick as that nor the old Trumpy stuff, but thicker than modern Eduard PE. And yes was going to do the exact same thing with the MG cooling jackets, as it will give me a chance to use my very rarely used Small Stuff PE roller.  While much thinner than the old Tamiya stuff, this Meng stuff is thick enough to hold a lighter flame under for 30 - 60 seconds no issue at all.