Spitfire Questions

cch4530

I'm hoping to make 2 Spitfires; one Mk. VIII and one Mk. XVI; both with the RPAF

http://www.al-nasir.com/www/PVA/Library/AviationArt/awpaintinglist.php?GRP_ID=Pre1947

I've come across 1/32 REXx metal exhausts on ebay but not sure which ones to get since they don't make any for Mk VIII or Mk XVI

Can someone who knows more about Spitfires tell me if I can use any of the exhausts listed below as a replacement? 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F32+rexx+spitfire&_sacat=0

i.e. if there is any commonality between the different versions?

Your best bet is to find a photo of the aircraft you are modelling.  I believe the Mk. VIII typically used the same fishtail exhausts as the Mk. IX (they were both powered by Rolls-Royce Merlins). The Mk. XVI used the Packard-built Merlin, so likely that it might have had the round exhaust stubs.  Be aware that there were low-back Mk. IXs too - that would look like the Tamiya Mk. XVI kit.  And similarly, there were high-back XVIs.  The engine was what denominated the Mk, not the fuselage.

Hello,

Just be aware that, in your first link, the Spitifire designated as Mk XVI is in fact a Mk XIV. These Spitfire were still operated by RIAF (before the creation of the PAF), and the RIAF never operated the Spitifre Mk XVI, as far as I know.

Philippe

11 hours ago, PhilHoff said:

Hello,

Just be aware that, in your first link, the Spitifire designated as Mk XVI is in fact a Mk XIV. These Spitfire were still operated by RIAF (before the creation of the PAF), and the RIAF never operated the Spitifre Mk XVI, as far as I know.

Philippe

Wow...never realized that

Getting data on RIAF and then RPAF has been difficult especially for Spitfires since they were removed very quickly