1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the positive feedback.  Not sure I love how the engine turned out but it is what it is. I added a few stains to some of pipe joints and a little bit of silver dry brushing but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to further weather the engine.  I'll think about it.
IMG-1808.jpg

It's almost time to attach the nose to the fuselage so I'm adding the two bottom lights now.  The light receptacles have been painted Alclad Chrome with the light bulb highlighted in white.  As you can see, the flaps took some abuse during the attachment process.  Since it is easier to mask the wings rather than the flaps, I'm going to repaint the flap area afterwards.
IMG-1783.jpg

IMG-1784.jpg

The cover for the fuselage light was painted in Tamiya Clear Red.  It was attached with Future.  Once this dries, I'll put on the mask.
IMG-1799.jpg

On 5/7/2022 at 3:02 AM, Thunnus said:

Cleanup work on the bottom joint is being wrapped up with a final application of Mr Surfacer 1000 and re-scribing of the panel lines.  I used a micro razor saw upon Kevin's recommendation and it worked much better than a scribing tool.  Thanks Kevin... great tip!
IMG-1680.jpg
IMG-1692.jpg

\

John - I am just blown away by how well you cleaned up those ugly joints.  You cannot even tell they were there.  I am going to have to do some surface enhancement work myself on my Corsair project (wings) where I cannot skin them.  Putty work and rivet detail are among my worst skills (not skills at all).  I must learn from the masters (like you). 

On 5/14/2022 at 10:50 PM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Hi John,

WOW, that engine is just superb you say "long story short" can we have the long story for us (me) who's painting skills are lacking some.

Thank you Nighthawk!  I think the most important step in the painting of this engine was the drybrushing of the lighter brown (Tamiya Flat Earth XF-55).  I really took my time, making sure that my brush was almost completely dry before rubbing it on the parts.  There were more than a few times that the brush was too dry and no paint was transferred but subtle layering of the drybrushing effect works the best.  There were some areas where too much paint was transferred and I went back and darkened those spots.  After the drybrushing, that rear Coffman starter assembly was popped off and so I mixed detail painting with parts repair in a somewhat haphazard way.  Wiring and a few engine components were painted light grey (Tamiya Medium Sea Grey XF-83).  Some of the longer pipe runs were painted in Testors Silver.  The ignition harness (?) was painted with a mix of Testors Silver and Gold but the paint didn't mix well it looked like mostly silver.  I lightly sprayed that pipe with Tamiya Clear Yellow to get it more brassy.  Tamiya acrylics are not the best for brush painting.  I use the opened lid as my palette and mix in a drop or two of 90% iso alcohol as a mild retarder to help brush flow.  A good brush helps with the detail painting.  I have a set Winsor-Newton Series 7 sable brushes in 0,00 and 000 that I use for fine detail work.

22 hours ago, dennismcc said:

That engine is a work of art.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

16 hours ago, JayW said:

John - I am just blown away by how well you cleaned up those ugly joints.  You cannot even tell they were there.  I am going to have to do some surface enhancement work myself on my Corsair project (wings) where I cannot skin them.  Putty work and rivet detail are among my worst skills (not skills at all).  I must learn from the masters (like you). 

Thanks Jay... I'm getting better at the surface repair work.  Sometimes it takes 3-4 micro applications of Mr Surfacer to get a panel line looking acceptable but I've learned that if you are patient, you can usually get a good result.

16 hours ago, JayW said:

As for the engine - it was suggested to me once to not install my engine into my Corsair (it would hide it).  I am tempted to suggest same to you.  OMG - what a wonderful looking Sabre! 

Thanks again, Jay!  This engine will be visible.  No choice really because the engine cowling parts will not fit over the engine.  But your handcrafted engine assembly is a different beast than this CMK resin, which I simply put together, added some wires and painted. You simply MUST show that engine!!!

14 hours ago, Kaeone57 said:

Gorgeous work John, just Gorgeous all around!

Alfonso

Thanks for stopping by Alfonso!

9 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Awesome progress John. Really like how you've painted up the engine, but can't say that I'm surprised at all.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!

I couldn't resist and added a few stains by spraying droplets of diluted black pastel wash over the engine.  Most of the visible spots were wiped away but I kept some on the few lighter-colored components.  A small touch but I think it is effective.
IMG-1857.jpg

IMG-1854.jpg

I am considering the engine complete and the next step will be to attach the engine to the nose.