1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

Thanks guys!

The horizontal stabilizers have been glued into place.  I'll be addressing the gaps with Milliput and Mr Surfacer.
IMG-1728.jpg

IMG-1729.jpg

Making sure the stabs are on straight.
IMG-1731.jpg

Weathering applied to the drop tanks.  Kind of a lazy approach I've been tinkering with lately.  Splattering watered down pastel wash onto a flat finish.  Creates little stains that can be wiped off to modulate the effect.  You can build layers of this stuff in different colors to achieve some tonal depth to the stains.  The clear pylons have not been glued on yet so I can still work on the weathering if I feel like it.
IMG-1733.jpg

The engine bulkhead has been similarly weathered.
IMG-1734.jpg

I'm ready to glue the bulkhead into place.  I need a strong attachment but I also some time to finesse the positioning so this JB Kwik Weld is a good choice.  It starts hardening about five minutes after mixing.
IMG-1735.jpg

The bulkhead has been glued into place. There are some gaps around the circumference that I'm going to have to tidy up but before I do that, I'll verify that the engine/nose assembly fits without interference. Hopefully, the dry-ftting has avoided the need for any awkward trimming.
IMG-1736.jpg

Great progress John.

Yes, those cellophane pylons were a strange idea, but looks like you've pulled them off well.  Smart to epoxy the bulkhead into place, that thing will need to be rock-solid connection for the nose to go on easily.

Matt 

20 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This looks absoluetly tremendous, I love it all but the drop tanks look so good and are distinctly Tempest items.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!  The drop tanks are definitely unique looking with the clear pylons.

19 hours ago, Vincent said:

Cool "lazy" technique you shared. God, I'm getting the itch back to make models...

Thanks Vincent!  Do it! I'd love to see a Vincent K build here!

18 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Tremendous work John.

Thank you very much!

11 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great progress John.

Yes, those cellophane pylons were a strange idea, but looks like you've pulled them off well.  Smart to epoxy the bulkhead into place, that thing will need to be rock-solid connection for the nose to go on easily.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  Actually, I was more afraid of the bulkhead being knocked off during the fitting process.  When it comes time, the bulkhead will not provide much of a glue joint unless I try to pre-apply some epoxy.  The majority of the glue connection will be provided by the bottom and sides of the nose to the fuselage.

10 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Lovely work John, this is one special build but pleased I sold my copy long ago. Looks like a lot of work indeed.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy!  Yeah, it's work but I'm enjoying it!  I don't think it is a bad kit but it doesn't take much variance to throw off the fit if you are not careful. 

4 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Loving this build.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael!

After the bulkhead was glued into place, I verified that the nose/engine was able to slide into place without interference.
IMG-1742.jpg

There are some slight overhangs that I'm hoping can be corrected with finger pressure during the gluing process.  Bigger gaps will be filled with sheet styrene or sprue so that I can increase the joint strength as much as possible.
IMG-1740.jpg

IMG-1741.jpg

The width of the nose section is a bit tight at the forward edge of the wing roots.  It may be causing a bit of anhedral so some slight trimming might be necessary.
IMG-1749.jpg

After the test fit, the seam around the edges of the bulkhead were filled and cleaned up. I'm not going to bother doing any paint touch-ups now as it will be easier to do that after the fuselage camo painting is done.
IMG-1745.jpg

The stabilizer joints have been cleaned up as well.
IMG-1747.jpg

IMG-1748.jpg

Nice work and I love the idea of spattering diluted pastels. Quicker and easier than using a spray template! You probably know all about this, but just in case, the Tempest had an anhedral with the inner wing sections and a dihedral with the outer. If memory serves, -1 degrees and +5 degrees respectively. Model on!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks guys!

I've decided to take the plunge and start painting the engine.  Here is the last look at the engine with its primer coat.
IMG-1762.jpg

The initial base color is black.  I used a mixture of Tamiya Black and Flat Black to give a satin sheen.  I like the smoothness of a gloss but find the glare distracting when trying to paint details.
IMG-1763.jpg

A monochrome black finish doesn't have enough tonal depth so I wanted to lighten the black with something... I chose brown.  A mix of black and brown was sprayed over the engine, leaving just enough black to establish some contrast.
IMG-1765.jpg

IMG-1766.jpg

With the base color established, I started dry brushing using a lighter brown, trying work as deep as I can reach, all the way to the outside of the engine. Obvious brush marks are touched-up using the base colors.
IMG-1768.jpg

IMG-1769.jpg

First step is done... next I will introduce a few other colors into the mix.

Thank you Bevan!

I was planning to do the painting in a systematic way but before I even started, I noticed that one of the components needed to be re-positioned so I ended up popping it off and it killed the orderly approach I had in mind.
IMG-1771.jpg

So I just started painting here and there, keeping that removed subassembly off and painting it separately.  Long story short... the engine has been painted.
IMG-1774.jpg

IMG-1775.jpg

IMG-1776.jpg

IMG-1777.jpg