1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the comments!

22 hours ago, brahman104 said:

This is crazy good John! How do you attach all the fine details, especially the wiring without drowning them in glue?

Craig

Thanks Craig!  Careful application of the glue helps to avoid those blobs.  And when they do appear, I scrub em off with a small stipple brush dampened with CA debonder.  Debonder can weaken CA joins obviously but the small details such as wiring usually don't require that much glue strength to hold them in place so you can get away with using debonder to clean.

I figured out that I should glue the upper wing flaps in now so that I can address any issues that show up on the top side of the wings. A combination of a light grind along the brass and a bead of CA glue along the edge should smooth this out.
IMG-1698.jpg

IMG-1699.jpg

With the game plan established for the attachment of nose/engine assembly, I decided to test fit the bulkhead using two spots of CA glue. No tabs or alignment aids here so I just eyeballed it.
IMG-1705.jpg

Pretty close... the engine slide into place without interference.
IMG-1706.jpg

But the nose would not shift up completely, leaving this gap. I need to trim the bulkhead height down a touch to allow the engine block to shift up.  In pencil I marked the bulkhead stringers on the fuselage so that I could line the bulkhead up in this same position.
IMG-1707.jpg

I shaved the bulkhead bottom a few millimeters and tried again.
IMG-1708.jpg

This allowed me to close the gap on the bottom.  Ok... I think this is do-able.
IMG-1709.jpg

I'm going to paint the bulkhead before I glue it into place so I've primed with Mr Primer Surfacer like the engine.  Here is the engine + bulkhead together mounted on the nose.  Can you tell I am procrastinating on the painting of the engine?
IMG-1710.jpg

IMG-1711.jpg

IMG-1712.jpg

IMG-1713.jpg

10 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the comments!

Thanks Craig!  Careful application of the glue helps to avoid those blobs.  And when they do appear, I scrub em off with a small stipple brush dampened with CA debonder.  Debonder can weaken CA joins obviously but the small details such as wiring usually don't require that much glue strength to hold them in place so you can get away with using debonder to clean.

I figured out that I should glue the upper wing flaps in now so that I can address any issues that show up on the top side of the wings. A combination of a light grind along the brass and a bead of CA glue along the edge should smooth this out.
IMG-1698.jpg

IMG-1699.jpg

With the game plan established for the attachment of nose/engine assembly, I decided to test fit the bulkhead using two spots of CA glue. No tabs or alignment aids here so I just eyeballed it.
IMG-1705.jpg

Pretty close... the engine slide into place without interference.
IMG-1706.jpg

But the nose would not shift up completely, leaving this gap. I need to trim the bulkhead height down a touch to allow the engine block to shift up.  In pencil I marked the bulkhead stringers on the fuselage so that I could line the bulkhead up in this same position.
IMG-1707.jpg

I shaved the bulkhead bottom a few millimeters and tried again.
IMG-1708.jpg

This allowed me to close the gap on the bottom.  Ok... I think this is do-able.
IMG-1709.jpg

I'm going to paint the bulkhead before I glue it into place so I've primed with Mr Primer Surfacer like the engine.  Here is the engine + bulkhead together mounted on the nose.  Can you tell I am procrastinating on the painting of the engine?
IMG-1710.jpg

IMG-1711.jpg

IMG-1712.jpg

IMG-1713.jpg

Looking forward too seeing the engine painted, sterling work on the fitting of the nose and engine.

"Can you tell I am procrastinating on the painting of the engine?"

Yes.

The quality of your primed assembly looks impossibly pristine, just like those 3D-renderings used by manufacturers to market their products.

I wouldn't paint that either. It's already perfect.

> You might buy another one, build it to a lesser standard and hide the shortcomings by way of your masterful paint techniques ...

;-)

On 5/7/2022 at 11:53 PM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Looking forward too seeing the engine painted, sterling work on the fitting of the nose and engine.

Thank you!  The nose fit to the fuselage is not perfect but I've gotten to a point where I think it will be acceptable with some work.  I don't mind gaps as much as steps and there still seems to be a small step issue, which I hope I can correct when it comes to that point.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:38 AM, BlackCanopy said:

Yes.

The quality of your primed assembly looks impossibly pristine, just like those 3D-renderings used by manufacturers to market their products.

I wouldn't paint that either. It's already perfect.

> You might buy another one, build it to a lesser standard and hide the shortcomings by way of your masterful paint techniques ...

;-)

Yeah, there is something about primer-coated resin assemblies that looks really good.  Similar to unpainted brass phototech assemblies like the flaps. 

On 5/8/2022 at 10:46 AM, John Stambaugh said:

Can certainly understand the trepidation of painting the engine. 

Just think about how fantastic it will look when in color.

I tend to temporarily stall out ahead of uncertain steps.  It took me a good while to wire and paint the wheel wells.  Now, the same hesitation with the engine.  But there are other things I need to do before the engine gets attached to the fuselage so I have some valid excuses for now!

On 5/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, airscale said:

this looks incredible, definately worth the effort in adding and I know one thing - when I grow up I want to be able to paint like you :)

Peter

Thank you Peter!  I can't even post comments on your build.  It's hard to say anything when the jaw is resting on the floor. :wub:

On 5/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, scvrobeson said:

Always love the problem solving. The spinner sure looks great painted and weathered. Will definitely be pulling up a chair when the paint starts flying at the engine.

Matt 

Thanks Matt! I was encouraged by how things were improving as parts were getting glued together.  I've had the opposite happen and that's really no fun!

On 5/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, mc65 said:

7F6D1C79-22B1-47ED-9A29-9868067E9448.jpe

procrastinate as long as you want, we will not stop waiting to see what wonder you will bring out from that engine!

:bow:

Thank you for that leeway!  I'll get to it but just not yet!

On 5/8/2022 at 5:14 PM, Rockie Yarwood said:

Just loving this build.

Thanks Rockie!

Slowly finishing the clean up work on the wing roots...
IMG-1719.jpg

IMG-1720.jpg

The tail stabilizers aren't a perfect fit so I'll probably want to glue them in and do the necessary putty work at the joints before I go any further on the engine.
IMG-1727.jpg

The underwing drop tanks have been painted. Yes, one is darker than the other! This was intentional!
IMG-1722.jpg

The funky clear drop tank pylons have been painted and decaled. Extreme care needs to be taken when handling these parts as they are very delicate and prone to cracking/snapping.
IMG-1721.jpg

Drop tank mounted on the pylon... the edge reflection through the clear part is not good.
IMG-1723.jpg

So I brush painted the contact surfaces black. I still need to weather the drop tanks.
IMG-1724.jpg

And finally... I've painted the engine bulkhead but have yet weathered it.
IMG-1725.jpg