1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

awesome job, Thunnus!!
if I have my say on the aluminum strips, cutting them with a new # 11 blade keeping it very low on the sheet can help to limit the accordion effect, but the problem is solved completely by using a good pair of scissors instead! ;)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments and have noted the tips on the aluminum tape.

I stained the tires a bit more with some drops of tan pastel wash.  If you do this on a flat coat, the wash dries and creates light-colored tide marks on the tire.  Gently wipe them off with a moist paper towel but not completely.  If you do this several times, you start building some subtle but discrete staining that removes that airbrushed look on the tires.
IMG-1538.jpg

IMG-1539.jpg

The gear legs were painted in White Aluminum, given a pastel wash and then a flat coat.  The aluminum tape strips were replaced after painting and I liked the way the the aluminum tape contrasted with the color of the legs that I left them unpainted.
IMG-1540.jpg

Here are the tires posed on the landing gear legs.
IMG-1541.jpg

I bit the bullet and painted the wiring in the wheel wells.  It actually was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be.  Fairly good access to all of the wiring at this stage and the walls gave me great resting spots for my fingers to steady the brush.  I stayed with greys and browns here, lacking any concrete references. After painting is completed, I'll seal it with a gloss goat and then give certain accessible areas a pastel wash.
IMG-1534.jpg

IMG-1535.jpg

IMG-1536.jpg

IMG-1537.jpg