1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

2 hours ago, Grunticus said:

That is one very nice looking IP. Good job!

Thank you!  Just wrapping up the panel now...

I've added some weathering to the instrument panel: light dry-brushing of silver on the edges and brown wash on the green cross bar.
IMG-1683.jpg

The compass has been painted and decaled.  Topped off with a drop of clear UV epoxy to simulate the glass element.
IMG-1684.jpg

Here is the completed instrument panel.
IMG-1685.jpg

21 hours ago, levier said:

Very clean detail!

Thank you!  I have to say that the molding by Special Hobby on the small details is impressive clean and sharp.  So it is a surprise to see a noticeable lack of sharpness on the rivets and panel lines of the larger parts.

21 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

John

I see you got one of those "Shrink-Ray" machines just like the one Pete Fleischmann has. Where can I get one and how much does it cost? Price is no object.  ;)

Damian

Ha!  All of the shrinking is courtesy of Special Hobby.  I simply put together the components that SH has provided.

17 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

How did you manage to paint that yellow squarely that cleanly?  Normally I'd have paint across the entire panel trying that.

Matt 

Careful strokes with a fine brush, changing the orientation of the part in hand with each direction to make sure you can get a smooth stroke.  It's more a matter of gently "pushing" the paint to edges of the raised surface, if you know what I mean. Tamiya acrylics thinned with 90% iso alcohol helps it brush a little better but still not great for brush painting.  But the final photos are showing the decal over the yellow paint... I didn't realize that the yellow was on the decal until after I had painted it on the IP.

Nicec work as ever John, I've had this in the stash since it first came out in 2016 but obviously the original issue without the resin engine! Chuck did an amazing job on his and now yours to follow which will be interesting!

The problem is its been on my sell/ do I want to sell for a while now?

Hopefully you can enspire me to keep!

Regards. Andy 

On 2/23/2021 at 10:33 AM, Derek B said:

Hi Mike,

The origin of the word 'Bungee' is uncertain, however, you are correct that they have been in use since the 30's for various aircraft retraction purposes, but they are always composed of strands of rubber encased in a fabric sheathing, so are not really the same thing that we see on the Tempest seat. Interestingly, in a former life, I used to work with Bungee cords a lot as part of my career maintaining and packing parachutes (they were officially called hooked pack opening elastics in this case).

Cheers

Derek

They've been around in aviation longer than that. The Lewis gun mounts on the top wings of some WWI 'planes used them to pull the gun into position

Meanwhile, back at the Tempest...

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

They've been around in aviation longer than that. The Lewis gun mounts on the top wings of some WWI 'planes used them to pull the gun into position

Meanwhile, back at the Tempest...

Richard

Hi Richard,

Never rely on internet searches for the history of anything! :) (thinking about it, rubber cord (whether sheathed in fabric or otherwise) certainly was used during WW I...undercarriage bungee cord comes to mind).

As you say, back to the Tempest.

Cheers

Derek

Just to show that I've not given up on the Barracuda cowling just yet.  I've been hacking away at the thick resin on the inside of the cowling to allow the resin engine to fit.  Gouging out the resin like this is a sloppy and inexact operation and I am not enjoying it. 

IMG-1822.jpg

IMG-1823.jpg

Lovely work Chuck John! The IP looks excellent.

Maybe I missed it but how are you planning to display the engine? Covers off or in place with magnets? It would be a shame to hide it completely otherwise.

Edit: So sorry about the name mix up - I was looking at a few different tabs at the same time!

Edited by Lemonstein
Wrong name

20 hours ago, Lemonstein said:

Lovely work Chuck! The IP looks excellent.

Maybe I missed it but how are you planning to display the engine? Covers off or in place with magnets? It would be a shame to hide it completely otherwise.

Yes, it's John but that's ok!  I think lots of people think "Chuck" when they see a Tempest build!

The engine will be left uncovered with cowlings off.  Due to shape and configuration of the three cowlings, I don't see a way to have them placed onto the aircraft unless they were glued on.  And they are too thin to accommodate magnets.  That's ok with me... I went into this build thinking that the engine would be left uncovered.

An intense round of hacking, gouging and grinding has gotten me really close to getting the resin engine to fit within the Barracuda cowling.
IMG-1835.jpg

Mounting the Barracuda spinner backplate reveals the remaining issue if I want to go this route:  The front of the engine mount will have to be shaved down to meet the backplate, losing some nice detail.  I have Archer's raised rivets so I could probably get most of the detail back.
IMG-1837.jpg

IMG-1838.jpg

There are some funky things going with the fit with the engine bulkhead in place, which seems to be fine with the kit cowling but I could probably work this out.  Happy that I have two viable alternatives now.  I received an email from Barracuda that signals that the new spinner might be on its way.
IMG-1841.jpg

In the meantime, I am futzing around with some some cockpit details.  Some of the molded levers have been replaced.
IMG-1832.jpg

IMG-1833.jpg

IMG-1834.jpg