1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Referring at Chuck's build, it looked like his spinner matched the backplate pretty well.

I've also started to try and re-shape the kit nose.

I sanded both the backplate and the nose to match the spinner.  It isn't perfect, but it's pretty close to matching now.

I think I also recall having to carve out some things on the back of the spinner to get it to sit flush with the backplate.

lYyDwb.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Hmmm... so your spinner was a bit undersized too then, Chuck?

Yup- and out of round fit at the front, just like yours.  IMO the best solution is to make the front fit the spinner, rather than the other way around.  If you check my completed model (don't want to hog your thread here), it came out looking about 90% correct at the front, which is "good enough for the girls I used to go with".  ;)  As mentioned by others, the kit nose is just too blunt, although a guy with your skills could probably correct it as well.

If you do choose to sand the nose to fit the spinner, deepen all detail, sand, deepen it again, sand, etc.

I'm sure enjoying watching how another modeler attacks the problems of this kit and has a different perspective on how to solve them.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks for the clarification Chuck!  I may not have to go that route.  I just received an email from Barracuda Studios saying that they looked into the issue and that a new mold of the spinner is going to be made.  I'll report back when I receive the replacement spinner.  In the meantime, I'm going to try and re-shape the kit spinner.  The kit nose is still on the table as I do like the fit of of the engine top with the kit backplate.

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for the clarification Chuck!  I may not have to go that route.  I just received an email from Barracuda Studios saying that they looked into the issue and that a new mold of the spinner is going to be made.  I'll report back when I receive the replacement spinner.  In the meantime, I'm going to try and re-shape the kit spinner.  The kit nose is still on the table as I do like the fit of of the engine top with the kit backplate.

I fixed mine by cutting two circles from thin plastic card that matched the diameter of the rear of the spinner and the front of the nose and glued them to each surface and shaped each resin part to the plastic card circle if that made sense. That way, I was able to ensure that I was working with true circles rather than poorly moulded resin. As I pointed out earlier, this stuff shouldn’t need to be done! 

Re-shaping the kit spinner is harder than I thought.  Here are the two spinners before I started sanding the kit spinner.
IMG-1526.jpg

I chucked the spinner, which has been temporarily glued onto the backplate using CA glue, onto my David Union D300 rotary tool.  It has a continuously variable speed adjustment which is handy to achieve a high enough speed without melting the plastic.  That wasn't possible on my older rotary tool, which melted plastic even at the lowest speed.
IMG-1527.jpg

After a couple of shaping sessions, the kit spinner looks a LITTLE better but not by much.  I have to periodically re-scribe the line around the spinner so I don't lose it completely due to the grinding process.
IMG-1530.jpg

IMG-1534.jpg

I'll keep at this until the new spinner arrives.

In stand-by mode on the Tempest build.  Hours of grinding on the kit spinner and yet it is still far from the shape of the Barracuda part.
IMG-1544.jpg

Can you even see any change?  Well, here's what the spinner looked like before I started re-shaping it.  It's a different angle but I think my effort HAS made the spinner less bulbous, no?  I'll keep at it.
IMG-1522.jpg

Took some time to admire the resin seat.  Without knowing anything about the real seat, this one looks really nice to me with the fine stitching on top of the backrest.
IMG-1551.jpg

Great detail even on the back of the seat.
IMG-1552.jpg

Like most of the parts on this kit, the seat adjustment spring has a strong mold line running along its length on both sides.
IMG-1548.jpg

I have the time so I am trying to eradicate all of the mold lines I can find.  And something compelled me to rescribe the spring grooves with a fine saw.
IMG-1549.jpg

I think that your spinner is definitely improved in shape John, so your efforts have been far from wasted. This is one reason why I enquired of the kit spinner wall thickness and the possibility of lining it with an additional layer of epoxy putty internally in the more critical areas in order to allow you to really take it down without too much fear of getting it to the shape you require before any 'break through' occurs due to the plastic becoming too thin.

Really great build so far John, I am enjoying it (I the PCM kit, which may be the same mouldings - I don't know? However, your build (and experiences) will help me).

Cheers

Derek