1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

Looking terrific John!  It's so interesting to see how you attacked this kit compared to when I did a few years ago, and your results are stunning.  One key difference is your weathering, which is much more pronounced than mine and I think looks more realistic, if not more interesting.  When that beautiful engine is exposed, it will be a show-stopper and I'm glad my model won't be competing against yours at a future model contest!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chuck

20 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

She's on the home stretch, and looking fantastic.  Someday I'll be able to paint and weather like you John. Until then, I'll keep spitting paint in the general direction of my builds

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  I've learned a lot here at LSP and hope to keep growing as a modeler.  No matter how good we think we are, there is always someone doing it better.

18 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It's looking fantastic, John! Many lessons to take away from this build for us mere plebs who follow in your wake.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  I do hope that this build thread is useful for people building this kit.

14 hours ago, JayW said:

Incredibly realistic model.  What a bad boy!

Thanks Jay!  I appreciate the input sincerely!

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Looking terrific John!  It's so interesting to see how you attacked this kit compared to when I did a few years ago, and your results are stunning.  One key difference is your weathering, which is much more pronounced than mine and I think looks more realistic, if not more interesting.  When that beautiful engine is exposed, it will be a show-stopper and I'm glad my model won't be competing against yours at a future model contest!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chuck

We all have different strengths and weaknesses and I don't think my choices resonate with everyone. But we do what we are compelled to do, right?  I admire your build abilities immensely so I am gratified to hear such positive comments from a model of your caliber.  A sincere thank you, Chuck!

5 hours ago, JayW said:

Now that would be a battle of the Titans!  To my eye, any differences are due to style only.

Exactly!  That's what makes this hobby so fun and interesting.  I referred to many different builds of this kit and even of this specific aircraft and they all look a little different.  I make no claims of authenticity or quality but simply present this as my personal take on this cool WW2 fighter aircraft.

Ok guys... this one is a wrap!  I removed the mask around the engine and added all of the rest of bits and pieces.

Here's a preview while I post all of the finished pics over at the Completed Builds board...

JTK-3799-1.jpg

JTK-3806-1.jpg

JTK-3805-1.jpg

JTK-3778-1.jpg

JTK-3801-1.jpg

The photos of the finished model can be found at:

Edited by Thunnus
Link Added

• Thunnus changed the title to 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F
On 6/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, JayW said:

And to think you had to make some fixes - serious fixes.  It looks like modeling perfection to me John.  You have done something worthy of the bad-ass Tempest.   Congrats.

Thanks Jay!  Getting the nose and engine to fit and making it look seamless was one of the things that I am most proud of on this one.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Stellar.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  Appreciate it!

On 6/10/2022 at 7:21 PM, denders said:

Beautiful!

Thank you!

On 6/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, Uncarina said:

Stellar work John! I salute your perseverance. Your photography is also exemplary. 

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  This one took a while but I'm glad I was able to finish it!

On 6/10/2022 at 10:02 PM, zaxos345 said:

Masterpiece!! One of the best builds in the forum!!! 

Well done John!!! 

John

Thank you John!  I appreciate the kind words!

On 6/11/2022 at 10:07 AM, Hoss FL said:

What a beast of a build! Very impressive and inspirational. Congrats. 

Thanks Hoss!  On to the next project!

On 6/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Da da da damn Nice!  Love it!  :bow:

Thanks Troy!

On 6/12/2022 at 7:34 AM, Beaconroot said:

Stunning work John!

Thank you very much!

On 6/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, John1 said:

Fantastic work!  The paint and weathering are spot-on.

Thank you!  I always feel like I run out of steam at the end of a project.  May be it was the time already invested and I  just wanted to get it done but I need to work on keeping that fresh mindset all the way to the end of the build.

21 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Utterly beautiful John.  The whole thing is top notch, and the presentation just makes it that much better.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!

20 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

EXQUISITE  Work John. 

:wub:

Ooh I adore and love the Engine. 

:wub:

Your Hawker Tempest V is STUNNING. 

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Thank you!  The Tempest, as a fighter aircraft, certainly looks the part... big and intimidating!  The resin engine was the main reason I bought this particular kit and I'm glad it turned out ok.  Definitely room for improvement but that's what the next build is for!