1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest V - Fairbanks JJ+F

Thunnus

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Can I ask you where you got your wooden stand from can’t seem to track it down in the UK.

The manufacturer of the stand is JH Models and it was purchased from UMM-USA, which is a US hobby retailer.  Not sure if they provide shipping to the UK.

I did some salt weathering on top.  An interesting technique that's hard (for me) to get right.  The idea is to use salt crystals as a mask to create either paint chipping or spotty weather stains.  I find it easiest to work with a flat finish so the salt weathering is usually the last painted effect that I will perform.  Water is spread over the surface of the model and rock salt crystals are sprinkled on.
IMG-2246.jpg

Once it is dry, a very watered down contrasting color is misted over the model.  In this case I used Tamiya Buff.  After the buff is dry, I use a spray bottle of water and a clean cloth to remove the salt crystals and hopefully leave random spot stains.  I want a very subtle effect but in this case, it is hardly noticeable.  Which is better than overdoing it.
IMG-2258.jpg

I let the model sit for a couple of days.  I had some other things to take care of but also wanted to give some time for any pesky residual pockets of salt to dry up and flare as white frost.

I spattered some dark brown pastel wash on the bottom and wiped it off, leaving another layer of dirt on the bottom.  Considering the weathering on the bottom complete, I removed some of the masking and started to install the landing gear legs.
IMG-2253.jpg

IMG-2252.jpg

Checking the forward rake of the landing gear legs.  As a rough visual reference, I want the bottom edge of the landing gear legs to be parallel to the alignment of the exhaust pipes on the fuselage.
IMG-2251.jpg

After I'm satisfied with the position of the landing gear legs, I glued into place all of the auxiliary struts and landing gear doors.  The radiator exit flap was also attached at this time.
IMG-2254.jpg

IMG-2255.jpg

The landing gear legs have been attached with Tamiya Extra Thin cement so I am want to let the glue cure completely before attaching the wheels but here's a sneak peak at the Tempest on her own legs.
IMG-2256.jpg

Here's a view of the port wing that shows the salt weathering effects a little better.
IMG-2261.jpg

I've worked a little bit more on the exhaust stains.  Looking at the archive photo of this aircraft, I am guessing that the JJ+F codes were scrubbed clean of the exhaust stains and although I couldn't replicate the exact effect, I tried to show something similar on the port side.
IMG-2260.jpg

A similar but less severe effect was attempted on the starboard side.
IMG-2259.jpg

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!

The manufacturer of the stand is JH Models and it was purchased from UMM-USA, which is a US hobby retailer.  Not sure if they provide shipping to the UK.

They do ship to the UK, when I was building my PCM Tempest I wanted the HGW wet Transfers but they were not available in the UK or from HGW direct, but luckily Chuck mentioned that he got his from UMM - USA in his build and I managed to get two sets from them.

Cheers

Dennis

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

They do ship to the UK, when I was building my PCM Tempest I wanted the HGW wet Transfers but they were not available in the UK or from HGW direct, but luckily Chuck mentioned that he got his from UMM - USA in his build and I managed to get two sets from them.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Thunnus

Shipping may make it to expensive as well as import tax May have to look at other options

stuart

In my opinion, the pinnacle of model painting.  If I can do half as good......

BTW, those landing gear struts are something to behold.  4-bar linkages.  Wow.  Do you have any idea what provides the spring force and damping?

Edited by JayW

Thanks guys... appreciate the feedback!

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Exemplary work John!  Did you crush up the rock salt before sprinkling it, or just apply it straight from the package?

Matt 

Thank you Matt! Depending on the salt that you use, you may need to crush it to get the appropriately sized grains of salt.  I've ground up a small amount that I keep in a small vial and use a small ceramic dish at the workbench if any additional grinding is necessary.  I try to avoid the fine stuff as much as possible.  It simply dissolves in the water and forms a difficult-to-remove crust.

1 hour ago, JayW said:

In my opinion, the pinnacle of model painting.  If I can do half as good......

BTW, those landing gear struts are something to behold.  4-bar linkages.  Wow.  Do you have any idea what provides the spring force and damping?

Thanks Jay!  Sorry but I don't have any specific knowledge on the how the complex landing gear works.  My guess is that the damping is provided somewhere between the two longitudinal components of the main gear legs. But that's just a wild guess.

I can see the finish line coming up soon on this one!  With the salt weathering stage done, I felt safe about removing most of the masks, including the clear windscreen. No major surprises but there was a fair amount of dust collecting on the interior side of the windscreen that I'll have to clean off.
IMG-2265.jpg

IMG-2266.jpg

The masks from the sliding canopy were removed with no issues.  It stays in place without glue and can be posed either open or closed but it tends to pop out from the rails if you play with it too much.
IMG-2267.jpg

IMG-2268.jpg

The resin wheels are now glued into place.  2-part JB Kwik Weld epoxy was used to give me time to position the flat spots correctly.
IMG-2271.jpg

IMG-2272.jpg

After ten minutes, the epoxy has cured enough to place the Tempest upright on her own feet.
IMG-2273.jpg

Stance check...
IMG-2274.jpg

The tail gear and doors have been glued into place. The tail wheel still rotates freely so the flat spot can rotate to the correct orientation after the main wheels are glued into place and the stance of the aircraft finalized.
IMG-2276.jpg

Only the inner flaps will be glued into place.  The outer flaps can be held in place by friction and it will be easier to secure the wings without the outer flaps when it is time to transport the model.
IMG-2277.jpg

She's just about done with only a few more things to add.