"Rocket science" - Fly's Bachem Ba-349 Natter

dutik

Time for me to come into the track for this group build, gentlemen.

So here are the tracks:

nat-1eak4l.jpg

Wrong company, wrong scale, wrong topic? :ninja:

Err...  No :lol:

nat-28xkom.jpg

nat-342jk7.jpg

Looks, it's a Natter! Some styrene, some resin, some PE, some paper with instructions. Not to forget that very small sheet of paper at the upper wall of the box: This is the very important parts list for the different versions of this aircraft. Easy to miss! Beware!

Well, I've shocked my wife when she asked what I am looking for in the cellar. My short answer was: I am looking for an adder somewhere in the storage :oops: :whistle:

I've showed here the real thing when I found the box... She is still loving me :lol:

OK, what do we still need?

An undercarriage that the Germans forgot during construction. Some rocket scientists. Of course. And a haystack? Maybe. Ordered some stuff from my favorite vendor :wicked:

Regards

- dutik

The postman was here. Now we have an undercarriage for the Natter :thumbsup: Or is it a lauch trolley? :hmmm: Who knows... :lol:

nat-5nvkek.jpg

Nice resin kit. OOP now, AFAIK. Parts count:

nat-708kym.jpg

And now, ladies and gentleman, welcome our rocket scientists!

nat-4qpjkm.jpg

All you need is a proficient team of scientists. Right? Right! :punk:

The only disappointment was the woodgrain stencil by RT-Diorama:

nat-6y7ku1.jpg

They call the stencil 1/35 scale, but it looks like made for 1/24 or larger models. This is a 1/35 scale figure for size comparision. Disappointing.

OK, now we have everything for a nice little Natter diorama, indeed. This will be fun. And funny. Hope so :piliot:

Regards

- dutik

Never seen a Natter built.  I'm keen. 

I know a lot of guys try for hard woodgrain details.  But I just don't believe in them.  Especially in unstained pine.  I've seen a little footage on the Natter under construction, and the woodgrain just doesn't jump out at you.  Hopefully you'll find some use for your stencil, or be able to return it.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:42 AM, Gazzas said:

Never seen a Natter built.  I'm keen. 

I know a lot of guys try for hard woodgrain details.  But I just don't believe in them.  Especially in unstained pine.  I've seen a little footage on the Natter under construction, and the woodgrain just doesn't jump out at you.  Hopefully you'll find some use for your stencil, or be able to return it.

We have some nice Natter builds here. Mostly natural plywood finish. I don't dare to compete with these builds :bow: I'll use the template only for the cockpit interior. Should be good enough for the task.

OK. Lets cut some styrene. Err - resin ;)

nat-8gljlx.jpg

The hay wagon in the making. Nice little kit, indeed. Good fit and low parts count. Not much to clean up. Even the front carriage will be movable if you take some care with the glue. Only problem were some wafer thin areas of the truckbed. Added some styrene from below. Nothing to write home about :lol:

Finally the Natter got some legs:

nat-9krkzz.jpg

Much better than only 2-4 minutes of original engine burn time. These legs will move our Natter far, far away. Right into Austria. Word! :punk:

Regards

- dutik

Launch towers are available only in quarter scale (Dragon) and below. The Natter was revolutionary at its time with many problems to be solved. Even much more conventional aircraft prototypes had their share of killed pilots, not counting flight accidents of serial production aircrafts. So yes, it was dangerous, but problems could have been overcome. Remember - this was the first manned vertical rocket launch in the world, years before space programms in US and USSR came into life.

It is a tiny model. Palm size. Same length as a Me-163, but only 1/3rd of the wingspan.

Regards

- dutik

More important stuff for rocket research:

nat-1194k9h.jpg

We are into the milk cans. Dunno what for these are important: Do the rocket scientists need milk? Nutrition for the Natter pilots? As containers for lubricants or rocket fuel? Who knows...? We shall see. At least that nice milk cans made by Miniart (and me ;) )

nat-12n1jn6.jpg

Also accquired some important headgear:

nat-13f5kp2.jpg

Rocket scientists are stylish people. It has to be Italian couture head gear! Nothing less! How dare you! :wicked:

Enjoy!

- dutik

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 5:23 AM, Panzerwomble said:

Is this diorama going to be "Nutters with a Natter "? 

No.  It's having a Natter with Nutters!!!  :lol:

I've never actually seen one of these built as a model.  I have seen the real thing, however.  This is the opposite of my model builds, of which I've seen many models, but not many of the real thing.  That said, here's the pictures I took which I hope may be of some help to you, despite not being that brilliant.  I didn't have a polaroid filter on that camera, so the cockpit shots are more reflections that photo.

6hBbOd.jpg

Lfxlp5.jpg

Yq38ww.jpg

Cheers,

Michael