Can a USAF F-16D be built from the Academy F-16 Sufa kit?

Juggernut

Recently acquired the Sufa kit (thanks Daniel) and am curious if one can build a USAF F-16D with what's in the box?  I see a mixture of single and two seat parts in the box and if anyone knows, I'd appreciate the input on what, if anything, else is needed that's not in the box?  I'm not firm on building a USAF F-16D but I would prefer something other than an Israeli jet.  I've noticed that there seem to be possibilities for other FMS jets based on what's in the Sufa box but again, I just don't know what i don't know...yet.

I don't think you can build it completely with what is in the box, though with all the version mods, maybe someone else knows better. I know AFV Club offers one, which is the Academy kit with some extra resin parts. If I recall, the biggest problem is the F16D has the lighter weight gear & narrower wheels and non-bulged gear doors for the same.

From what I understand, the D models have the same engine/gear setup as the associated C Blocks, so the D Blocks 40 and up have the heavyweight gear, wide tires, and bulged MLG doors.  The AFV Club F-16D is a RSAF Block 52+, which is almost identical to the F-16I externally.  The extra parts are just some weapons, so you aren’t getting any more/different two seater parts than in the Sufa kit.

IIRC, the Sufa kit does have the short canopy rear fairing and standard tail base for a spineless F-16D, like the USAF aircraft.  The only thing I think might be a problem is that the front and rear IPs included in the kit, for the Sufa and the F-16F, may not be correct for USAF D models.

The short answer is yes, you can. You will need to use parts K17 & K53 (the two seat canopy rear fairing) instead of the Sufa spine, and part C10 (the TACAN antenna). Below is a link to the scalemates KF-16D kit page, which is exactly the same as the Sufa kit (except the decals). The scalemates page has instructions that show a "standard" block 52 F-16D.

Now, as Dave & Ray have correctly pointed out, are there some accuracy issues? Sure! And what may be minor to some modelers might be a big deal to a Viper aficionado, right? As others far more knowledgeable in the Viper than myself have pointed out, the Academy F-16 tooling as a whole has some issues. But, if you want a family model F-16 out of the box in 1/32, this is your only option.  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12108-kf-16d-fighting-falcon--207620

Edited by Michael

One visual improvement is to get the Zactomodels intake which will also make short work of eliminating seams.  Both NSI and MCID intakes are available, depending on the subject you want to build.  ResKit make P&W exhausts as well as GE giving you more choice of markings.

Like this?

gQR8TH.jpg

there are a couple small mods that need to be done.  There is a vent on the left side of the fuselage on the right side that needs to be sanded off and on the vertical stabilizer there is spot where a small inspection cover needs to be made with thin stock.  

Edited by ScottsGT

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Like this?

gQR8TH.jpg

there are a couple small mods that need to be done.  There is a vent on the left side of the fuselage on the right side that needs to be sanded off and on the vertical stabilizer there is spot where a small inspection cover needs to be made with thin stock.  

Nice... I'm thinking something like that, yes but in a HG paint scheme.

2 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Yes its pretty straightforward, I did use the Zacto intake which is beautiful and fits like a glove:

Wolfpack Aggressor

Cheers,

Marcel

Stunning!  I used the Zacto intake as well.  Big improvement over the kit.  And then going through my stash, I found another Zacto intake I forgot I had. Of course this led to another kit acquisition.  :evil_laugh: