Don't Look now.... a new 1/24 scale Fokker Dr.I

Gazzas

On 2/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, Dave Williams said:

Given that the only experience Meng seems to have with the Fokker DR.1 is inheriting the WNW mold, I’d be very much surprised if this isn’t just a direct scale up of the 1/32 kit.

Its not a scale up of the 32nd kit.

On 2/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, oyoy5 said:

A Fokker D.VII in 1/24 would be heaven on earth.  I wonder if Meng has access to other WNW molds that Sir Peter Jackson owns that they can scale up in 1/24???

19 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the manufacturer (any manufacturer) may have had access to the CAD files, and might just well have kept a copy of those files for themselves?

They would only have access to what they have been given. Yes they would keep them on file for updates to tooling etc.

12 hours ago, oyoy5 said:

Did Meng do all the tooling for a lot of the a lot of the WNW kits?  That would be great if they did for sure a Fokker D.VII, Albatross and a W.29 in 1/24 would be greaaaaaaat!!

No Meng was only one of the many tooling companies that WNW used.

Some guys posting here might want to go take a look at the very very long list of kits Meng has in their catalogue.

Anyone thinking Meng “needs” WW information to release a kit is oblivious to the obvious.

DId WW help with the Me163?

Did WW help with the Me410?

The M-1?
The Bradley?
The mentality thats very obvious here from many posts is that somehow a Chinese company cant do work of there own is blatant and clear ie without help they cant do it.

Oh did WW help with the F-35,  Jagdpanther, King Tiger, D-9, M911 etc etc.

Meng are very capable of tooling anything they want and based off the line of excellent armour kits and the aircraft they have released and have made that very clear.

If you think Meng cant tool something go look through their catalogue.

http://www.meng-model.com/en/

I dont think that is what anyone is saying honestly. I've got plenty of Meng kits, including their 163, but none of that really has to do with what I was talking about at least, and I have to assume the same for some of the others.  

The statement about Meng having 0 experience had 0 to do with tooling or their ability to tool anything. It also has 0 to do with Meng being a Chinese company. 

In order to get a decently accurate DR.1, up to the standards of WnW, the research would have to come up to their standard, and that they likely would have needed help with, specifically from WnW preferably, as Sir Peter was passionate about WW1 aircraft and his research team is second to none.

This would have been a very VERY different kit if it was a Meng only kit from design to finished product, not because of any other reason than they have little to no experience with WWI aircraft or research there of. 

Having a discussion about a company and its merits is fine, and having differing opinions on them is fine. However, Im going to suggest right here and now that we all make sure this thread stays about the topic and hand and doesn't take any stray detours into anything personal with another member(s). That's all Im going to say about that. 

Meng has done a nice job as I build more armor than aircraft.  Bottom line is everyone hopes the 1/24 Dr.1 is great and accurate and better than the 1/32 kit which is very good.  The WNW comparison is going to continue based off they were releasing the Dr.1 and they had plans to start a 1/24 line as well.  Hopefully Meng will do an excellent job on the Fokker and it will be a great seller and more 1/24 WWI planes will follow.  

Edited by oyoy5

Some of the extremely fine details visible in Meng’s digital renderings, particularly on the engine, suggest this could be a mixed-media plastic/resin/etch kit like some of their other offering. I don’t see how those cooling fins and bolt threads could be produced without resin casting or resin printing. Very promising looking, to be sure.

3 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

It was a Rifleman not a Machine Gunner, but I get where you're coming from.

Steve.

Hmm it must have been a one in a thousand or very lucky shot! Failing that it was Buie the machine gunner, but from the ground that is certain 

Edited by Pup7309

Hi Pup,

You need to read 'Captain Roy Brown' by Allan Bennett. Book two covers the whole MVR incident and represents the most detailed and up to date research on the subject. Podkin was the only other claimant to file an actual claim, but his own evidence and map of his position mean that it was not him. Fall of shot patterns studied soon after the war also rule out a machine gunner, leaving only aircraft, or rifle, and we pretty much know it was not an aircraft. The book is an excellent study of the day's events. As is 'Gunning for the Red Baron' by Leon Bennett which covers fall of shot in great detail.

Steve