ITALERI TORNADO CONVERTED TO GR1 FITTING ARIES PIT DESIGNED FOR REVELL

Simmo.b

I purchased the new Italeri GR4 Kit however have always wanted to build a Gulf War GR1. Like many of us I have the old Revell Kit plus all of the aftermarket goodies and thought to myself, will the Aries resin pit fit into the Italeri kit?

The Italeri kit contains all of the parts to build a GR1 (extra gun etc) so the conversion should be easy, however the Italeri pit is not only a soft part of an otherwise excellent kit, it is also a GR4 pit (though not exactly accurate for that type either).

My first job was to see if it was even viable to fit the Aries item.

20201227_120926-X2.jpg

I was encouraged by the first test fit, the kit hud would have to be carefully removed but everything looked like it may fit.

I used my trusty Trumpeter scriber to scribe out the plastic part but kept the removed parts so that they could be put back on if things went pear shaped. This is an expensive kit after all!!

20210102_151254-X2.jpg

With the hud removed I was encouraged. A test fit revealed a gap forward of the resin hud and the need to thin the Italeri fuselage parts.

20210110_161439-X2.jpg

I was confidant enough to begin the painting process, SMS Gull Grey and MRP Tyre Black.

20210126_112622-X2.jpg

20210126_112541-X2.jpg

20210126_112506-X2.jpg

As you can see from the photos above the gap up front is significant, I glued in sections of evergreen strip and sanded them to shape, blending everything together with Mr Surfacer.

20210131_150315-X2.jpg

Success!!

After lots of sanding, filling and sanding it fits! I will add that I thinned the kit parts quite a bit but that's normal when fitting Aries pits right??

And I can confirm that the front gear bay fits with no modification needed.

I think the Aries wheels and engines should fit as well but we will see.

Thanks for looking

48 minutes ago, Mark M said:

cool, question as ive not quite got there yet, is it possible to build the nose bay without the landing gear or do you HAVE to install it

Hi Mark,

If you are doing the kit wheels up you can indeed leave out the bay.

Cheers

Brent

15 minutes ago, Mark M said:

no sorry i ment for wheels down can you leave out the leg until the end, or does it have to go in during the build, i always end up breaking things

Spencer Pollard left his off until completion, cut one of the lugs off I think. I'm leaving mine off too

10 hours ago, Simmo.b said:

Yes mate, the nose gear bay fits with no issues

I am just putting the finishing touches on my 1/32 Italeri GR.1 conversion - and I also included the Aires Cockpit for the Revell kit. It fits really nicely (with the usual sanding for a resin cockpit) but you do really have to take care about the clearance of the nose gear well. There is no room to spare at all -  but you can turn that into an advantage when gluing the whole thing together as the cockpit tub can rest securely on top.