Ju88 / CMK Cockpits

AlanG

I've had a look at the CMK Ju88A Interior resin pack (5026) and read the reviews of it and they all say its designed for the A1 version.

My question is. Can it be used on the A4 kit (and A17/C6/G6 conversions) or was the interior different. I know the B-Stand went from singe gun to two guns. But other then that i know nada.

Bottom line for me was to use the set for the A-1 . And...

My approach about the differences between the A-1 and A-4 was to compare and contrast the instructions for the two kits.  IIRC the changes to the weapon stations drive the noticeable changes.  The B-stand and the gondola were different.  These caused ammo cans for the belt fed configurations.  The resin A-1 set provides enhanced detail for the type.  Both types remained bombers.

The A-17 was the factory fresh version of the A-4 Torp (torpedo plane) without the gondola and dive brakes, some with ship detecting radar.

The C-6 and G-6 were essentially gun ships.  I am doing my G-6 conversion using the A-4 kit.  The kit includes the clear parts useful for the  one gun A-1 B-stand and the VS-111 wide props.  Much of the interior is different.  

HTH getting you started. 

The A4 kit has a wonderful canopy and if I am not mistaken could be used for the G6 conversion except for the inclusion of the gun mount through the front windscreen.   I have the Aims conversion set but would rather use the clear plastic from the Revell kit for the canopy but can’t figure a way fill that opening. All the rest of the parts seem to match. The single rear gun and rear sides without the bulges. 

Paul C 

11 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

The A4 kit has a wonderful canopy and if I am not mistaken could be used for the G6 conversion except for the inclusion of the gun mount through the front windscreen.   I have the Aims conversion set but would rather use the clear plastic from the Revell kit for the canopy but can’t figure a way fill that opening. All the rest of the parts seem to match. The single rear gun and rear sides without the bulges. 

Paul C 

I just encountered the same dilemma.  I practiced drilling and cutting out a panel on a spare clear part (another kit). The plastic is very brittle.  I could get nice open panel but the new clear part looked out of place. Maybe more practice?

So I plan to use a combination of the A-1 clear parts (both sets included in the A-4 kit) to get the rear canopy and sides.  With this I will use the vac’s front canopy section.  The taped up prototype looks good. I will have to ensure that the framing on the vac front piece matches the other sections of the canopy.  There is a bit of transparency difference between the two sections.  We shall see. 

I've gone down this road 3 times with Ju-88's (still have an A-4 to build) using Aimes sets. I chickened out on the first 2 vac formed sets and removed the clear piece with the gun opening in the kit windshield, made a frame from evergreen and added a square off-cut of clear (possibly acetate?) from a blister pack. On the last one I used the Aimes part which (eventually) fit perfectly but I don't think it was as clear as the Revell part (which are beautifully clear!) I'm wondering if the Aimes parts are now made of clear resin?? 

Anyway my point being, I think the kit windshield can be modified to look like a windshield without the gun opening...If I can do it I'm sure others can.  

I have both the 188 and G6 conversions and the 188 canopy is beautiful, clear and framing is excellent.  It’s a complex part and he gives you 2 of them in the update, which is very generous.  I have not attempted this yet, but feel it’s a very straight forward conversion.  The G6 canopies I  have are very close, but have more issues, I assume as they are recent and vacuforms may get more issues as more come off the mould.  I have considered the cutting out of the one frame and attempting a replacement, but have not moved there yet.  Actually had hoped Revell would release the G6 version as part of their Ju88 1/32 series, but odds are that ‘s not going to happen. 

The issue for me is the Revell canopy is just perfect, clear and flawless and just has that one frame that need to have the gun mount removed.  

Paul C 

Edited by Paul2660

In an ideal world i would like to do a few conversions of the A1/A4 kits. As i mentioned above, i would love to do an A17 torpedo nbomber, C6 dayfighter, C6 nightfighter, and G6 nightfighter. But as of yet i neither have the kits, conversions or money lol

1 hour ago, Paul2660 said:

Actually had hoped Revell would release the G6 version as part of their Ju88 1/32 series, but odds are that ‘s not going to happen.

I'm sure i seen somewhere on the site (i think Jennings?) that revell are not going to produce anymore twins or re-release their previous twins :(

With the latest updates Aims made to his G6 conversion (resin gun bay, prop hubs, model master radar and 20mm barrels) the overall conversion with a Revell A4 kit should build into a excellent example of the G6.  I have held off, hoping that a 3rd party resin canopy might appear.  But for now just going to go ahead soon with the build. 

For now still buried deep in a 1/200 Bismark and it's taken a lot more than I realized it would.  With both Pontos update sets. 

Paul C