24th Scale Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat (Airfix - of course...)

Mistral

Here's my first 24th scale build in 40 years - how time flies. This is the fantastic Airfix Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat - the obligatory box art shot (Airfix currently has the best box art IMHO)

20210104_142452 - 800

This is the colour scheme I went for - not boring old dark sea blue :rolleyes:

20210104_142531 - 800

Edited by Mistral
Edit

18 minutes ago, Mistral said:

Here's my first 24th scale build in 40 years - how time flies. This is the fantastic Airfix Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat - the obligatory box art shot (Airfix currently has the best box art IMHO)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50799700417_a3b9ccf010_c.jpg

Hey Mistral, Ive taken the liberty of editing your pic post a bit to remove the Image tags. The new forum software really only needs the .jpg image to be seen correctly.

*EDIT*

Looks like you got it! No need for my help

So, what can I say about this kit ? Well, it's rather large and quite complex. The stressed skin effect is great !! But some issues to be aware of :

a) The surface texture is quite rough so a good sanding with Tamiya sanding sponges (or similar) will go a long way - I didn't quite sand enough ....

b) The parts fit in places is beyond tight. For example the engine cylinders which slide onto the core section. Lots of scraping and fettling. Any paint on any mating surface is going to create problems.

c) For some reason the oil canning was not carried over to some of the inboard wing sections. Some have it, some don't.

d) Detail OOB is great, the only thing really necessary to add are ignition cables in the engine (for which Airfix provides a really good guide in the instructions) and a radio wire antenna.

e) The decals performed really well although I still chose to paint the roundels and fin flash.

f) Follow the instructions !!! Also, go through them and cross out those portions of the build sequence you don't want (like folded / open wings) before you start. It will save you lots of head scratching and paging back and forward - the instructions themselves are well presented and can make for good bedtime reading.

IMG_6474 - 800

As you can see from the image, I built this with one wing folded. I'm not sure that was standard ops procedure but I have seen one or two photos in that configuration. The reason for this was twofold : 1) to save space and 2) to show of the wonderful wing fold detail.

IMG_6472 - 800

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Hey Mistral, Ive taken the liberty of editing your pic post a bit to remove the Image tags. The new forum software really only needs the .jpg image to be seen correctly.

*EDIT*

Looks like you got it! No need for my help

Thanks Brian. After some head scratching, got it B)

The engine panels fit really well except the two at the wing root. There's a particular step in the instructions which shows how to align the engine and bulkheads up - a really tight fit. I suspect I didn't get mine to "click" in place. I added one or two wires behind the engine to add interest.

The IP and cockpit detail OOB are great but one can go to town if so inclined. I'm not one of these as I'm the only person who'll know what's in there. The plastic kit seatbelts are great and with the cushion decal, the seat looks really great :

IMG_6471 - 800

According to the paint instructions the sliding part of the canopy is a single colour slate grey and doesn't follow the airframe camouflage :

IMG_6470 - 800

I used EZline for the antenna wire but it's too thin for 24th..

IMG_6466 - 800

Thanks for the kind words Gents :)

Colours were difficult to find out the bottle. I don't like Humbrol and our go to paints in South Africa are Tamiya for which one usually has to concoct one's own mix. So this is the recipe I used based on some really fine colour photos of various FAA aircraft from WWII :

Underside = Tamiya XF-21 - I should have added around 30% white.

Upper dark sea grey = 50% XF-66 and 50% XF-63 + spot XF-8 + spot X-16 to add a bluish hue

Upper dark slate grey = 9 parts XF-49 + 7 parts XF-63 + spot XF-62 olive drab

Interior green cockpit = 50% XF-71 + 50% X-2 white

Interior green in engine bay = 2 x XF-4 + 1 x XF-5 + 20% XF-20 medium grey.

I think they look OK.

FAA Hellcats didn't use the rockets (apparently) so I went for two 500lb GP bombs :

IMG_6465 - 800

IMG_6463 - 800

Painting the inside of the undercarriage bays was easy = same colour as underside of aircraft.

IMG_6462 - 800

Edited by Mistral
Text edit

The white of the front cowling is blown out in the photos - it is weathered...promise :rolleyes:

Weathering as follows :

- Gloss coat using Tamiya X-22 acrylic.

- Decals applied using MiG decal solvent

- Gloss coat again to protect decals

- Then used MiG washes - starship grime and dark wash - I like these products as they are actually quite oily. Let them dry and then work them in using a soft brush with a small amount of turpentine or white spirits

- Then let dry for 24 hours

- Final matt coat using Tamiya TS-80 flat clear decanted from the can and thinned with Tamiy lacquer thinners. Several thin coats are misted on to give a nice finish. For years I have battled to find a matt varnish that works. This one definitely does !!!

- Exhaust stains are dark black/brown mix over a medium grey

- Gun stains done using pastels

IMG_6460 - 800

IMG_6459 - 800

IMG_6458 - 800

IMG_6457 - 800

Airfix provides articulated ailerons, elevators and rudders and the landing flaps can be posed up or down. This is not in a gimmicky way per early Trumpeter kits. The hinges are really robust and the control sufaces fit closely to the wing without any unsightly gaps. Most of the photos of Hellcats show them with everything neat and tidy when static...so it was with mine then.

I so thoroughly enjoyed this build that I took my 24th Mozzie down from the shelf of doom (after reading there for close on 8 years) and have cleaned it using the garden hose to remove various spider nests....let's see how that one goes.

IMG_6439 - 800

IMG_6438 - 800

IMG_6450 - 800