1/32 Revell F/A-18E - Aftermarket

Aviacom

A friend of mine has just finished the kit and has had a lot of 'fun' trimming and fitting the kit.

He also had problems with the instructions clarity of placement for some of the parts.

Lots of filling and adjusting was also a necessary part of the build.

His opinion was once over the complicated bottom half, wheel bays and undercart, the rest was less complicated.

He didn't use any AM for the cockpit.

Be prepared for a longer than expected buildup.

HTH.

I know others built this kit to completion, but i shelved this kit. Had lots of issues with fit of pretty much everything. Shape issues, strange engineering, flash, weapons look OK, decal sheet looks good, instructions look ok. Have to say, i would really like to finish this one or get the two seater and try again. Think i'll open the box, take another look.

Don

I know that a lot of folks have some major issues with the Revell F/A-18, but I have seen one at a model-show (remember those?) and it looked amazing, to my eyes. I can appreciate that Hornet experts will have a shed-load of criticism (with good justification), but it seems like a case of what each modeller is prepared to work around. The experience of others may vary, of course. 

Chris. 

I am in the process of digging out my stash of models; built, unbuilt, partially built to see what all I actually have. I believe the total will be in the range of 100, more or less. the mods are in three categories: 1 using mods as part of my sculpture ( I am primarily a sculptor); 2) Using mods  as Vulgarian Air Force weapons and 3) completing started kits from long ago. Minimum scale 1/32. Most of my careers have ended and I am in my current state of existence.

Thus I no longer give a rat's rear end as to the accuracy of the model. Thus I am gaily enjoying my life, 

In my wayward youth I was fettered by accuracy questions but my parent's next door neighbor was a surgeon and he made models for pleasure. Thus, he explained one day  he often redesigned the aircraft for his own satisfaction. From then some of my models became my sculpture. 

I currently have three Tomcat kits. One is complete and two kits are missing the canopies. Is it possible to convert the F-14 Tomcat into the F/A-18C Hornet or the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet? Or perhaps the F/A -18V for the Vulgarian Air Force? Any Ideas?

To me there are 2 main thing with this kit.

1 its not accurate. 

2 from the wip's ive seen so far it looks like a PITA to build 

I can live with #1 to some extend but if its #1+#2 solid pass. The trumpeter kit is priced about the same and turn into a mich better build from what ive seen

9 hours ago, otis252 said:

Hey guys, I'd like to try it, but what are you'll doing with that spine "issue"? It's terrible.

Chuck

Not only the spine, but maybe canopy 'tail' too. It seems that the bump should continue a bit on the hump instead it ends too soon (inside the transparent), I don't know how to explain it. How can we fix that issue?

Edited by Luca

I discussed at great length the issues with this kit with my friend who is a superb modeller btw!

It's his speculation that this kit could've been designed by a 'team' of designers who probably had no chance to talk to each other throughout several stages of it's development and for probably a whole bunch of reasons?

Having studied this kits design I think I might agree with him.

Anyways, it is what it is as they say, so to wrap it up from our side I'd say go into this kit with your eyes fully open!

Not impossible to do, and lots of work, but with dedication it will turn into a nice looking model when it's complete.

Good luck to all.