Revell Spitfire MkIIa becoming a Mk Ia 602 Sdn Complete ..3 and out.

Panzerwomble

Final entry from me for this GB , as this is the last LSP left in my stash * and I feel I'm on a roll with this aircraft malarky at the moment . 

I built this same kit a couple of years ago and got quite wrapped up in the history of the pilot . This time I'm going to have a think about backdating this to an MK1 as I'm told the differences were mostly to do with where they were built as much as anything too striking visually , but any advice appreciated . NS3200 or maybe P9374 as there is a lot of references out there. It will also be interesting for me to compare where I was in 2019 and where I am now, modelling wise . 

* I know.... such an LSP amatuer...honestly.......... I have a lot of stuff in the stash but it's all the wrong one thirty-something :o 

So obligatory box shot to commence . 

CB2-BE6-FE-DBCE-41-E6-B3-AA-BB103-CBB101

Edited by Panzerwomble
Title

2 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Final entry from me for this GB , as this is the last LSP left in my stash * and I feel I'm on a roll with this aircraft malarky at the moment . 

I built this same kit a couple of years ago and got quite wrapped up in the history of the pilot . This time I'm going to have a think about backdating this to an MK1 as I'm told the differences were mostly to do with where they were built as much as anything too striking visually , but any advice appreciated . NS3200 or maybe P9374 as there is a lot of references out there. It will also be interesting for me to compare where I was in 2019 and where I am now, modelling wise . 

* I know.... such an LSP amatuer...honestly.......... I have a lot of stuff in the stash but it's all the wrong one thirty-something :o 

So obligatory box shot to commence . 

CB2-BE6-FE-DBCE-41-E6-B3-AA-BB103-CBB101

Beware the armour behind the pilot's seat being missing. 

This should go well with my hurricane. I missed the BoB group build. This makes up for it. :)

Edited by mpk

The Revell kit seems to be based on a Mk.II warbird so has some "modern" features.

On the Mk.I there is no Coffman starter bulge on the starboard side of the nose, the prop could be different and the small scoops on the top of the nose may need some attention if I remember right from my build of the kit.

There are also some strange patches (lozenges) on the Revell upper wings that need erasing.

There are some lumps on the spinner that need sanding off.

No crowbar on the entry door before 1942

No Very pistol cartridge rack on the seat.

There are more differences but they are not so obvious and require a lot more work (oil cooler, radiator).

Here is a link to a thread on the subject.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980678-visual-differences-of-spitfire-mk-1-vs-mk-ii/

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

The Revell kit seems to be based on a Mk.II warbird so has some "modern" features.

On the Mk.I there is no Coffman starter bulge on the starboard side of the nose, the prop could be different and the small scoops on the top of the nose may need some attention if I remember right from my build of the kit.

There are also some strange patches (lozenges) on the Revell upper wings that need erasing.

There are some lumps on the spinner that need sanding off.

No crowbar on the entry door before 1942

No Very pistol cartridge rack on the seat.

There are more differences but they are not so obvious and require a lot more work (oil cooler, radiator).

Here is a link to a thread on the subject.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980678-visual-differences-of-spitfire-mk-1-vs-mk-ii/

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis , much obliged . That thread with all the info from Edgar is a veritable mine of information. 

Cheers that is most useful.:D I'll have to figure some work arounds as I don't often go for aftermarket stuff .

Just my preference, but hold with Patton's view of "don't pay for the same real estate twice !" Maybe I'm just tightfisted I guess !

Spent last night doing some reseach , and quite liking some of 602 squadrons machines . This is looking like a candidate as off today , from Feb 1940 . ....got sucked into the history of this machine as well bit more of that another day ....

LO-A K9962 , famously ended upside down in a field next to the He 111 Sq Ldr Farquhar had just shot down , before being lost whilst with 222 Sdn a day after it had been returned from repair in Sept 40 . I won't be the first to have a crack at this one 

602-co.jpg

Some other 602 machines around the same time , I love the wear on this wing ...to busy taking down Ju88's over the Firth of Forth to worry about paint ! All very hard edged cammo and rough roundals

16378445811-dcdf6bc97e-b.jpg

Maybe the same aircraft from the other side ? 

602-again.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble
Spelling

Greetings ....

So, with the help of several websites and other resources and the links kindly provided above, I've made an attempt to change the cockpit around a bit to be more Ia than IIa 

It's all a bit Fantasy Island I suspect, and no show winner , but it a headnod towards the differences. 

In no particular order then:-

Changed the voltage regulator behind the headrest to the round type , and modified the pedals to have straps .

Add fuel tank levers to the IP, also mounted the ( pitch controller ? -part 40 in the kit} onto the IP bulkead . Extended the rudder control rods / cables under the seat . 

Added a contactor to the RH side , added some wires here and there, rebuild the pedastal for the compass . ...made an effort to simulate the seat padding  and not forgetting the armour plate behind the seat as well  . Centre part of the IP was smoothed out as Revel make the dials way to deep IMHO .

Splashed some placards around and now just needs final assembly and some lead foil seat belts and it's all done . Tamiya XF 71 base lightned down , coupla washes in Buff, and black oil pin washing to pop the details , dry brushed aluminium . These Spits were issued to 602 in May 39 - I think they would have been quite used/abused  by Feb 40 . 

Also the quick pics on my iphone indoors struggled with the colours a little hence the variations

PW

8-E850624-02-A6-4-E5-E-A84-E-8947-C9-CD9

3-D536487-2101-465-C-B953-128-CF8-F99660

879-E11-BB-B432-4-E71-B3-B7-17-ACF0126-F

Edited by Panzerwomble

• Panzerwomble changed the title to Revell Spitfire MkIIa becoming a Mk Ia 602 Sdn
On 1/31/2021 at 5:55 PM, Panzerwomble said:

Tanks for letting us know that :D

Looking good so far, will be following along.

Not a hugely exciting post, but just to show the general fit of the model , pre sanding and filling . 

Having built two of these, I can advise that getting the cockpit really firmly in place and correctly aligned is critical later . Even on this one , it still tried to lever apart the fuse sides , it just seems a little too big . I countered this by using CA bit by bit and closing it up in sections . You could file the cockpit sides back , but then run the risk of it not fitting squarley as it is a complex curve in shape.

Anyhoo I ended up with acceptable (for me) seams . If the fuse is ok , the wings also fit well , although they don't naturally sit in the correct position ( can be a bit low) , and if the fuse is slightly splayed (on my first one) it makes creating a neat wing root really hard.

On the underside the rear wing/ fuse meeting point is not great, the wing side part of the fuse is a bit long, although I believe there is a replacement resin part available for it if you don't like the kit part ....or take it back with sandpaper to get a better fit .

My observations of all three Revel kits I've built in the last year is that they all fit ok but need a bit of effort ...and they didn't fall togther like the Trumpy 109 I did recently . Just my observations . 

So , on with a bit of sanding some light filling and then painting this weekend . 

Laterzzzz :D

PW

F49-E1052-2699-435-D-8-AC3-B129-CD528-E2

C5-EDE252-FDED-4-DF1-9775-632-DB477-B782

B8-F8991-A-677-C-46-AF-B4-B6-E932-D3-C7-

Back again

So moving on, I added the radiator, jazzed it up a little with some brass mesh screens to cover the plastic detail inside . I love using this sheet of brass, it lasts forever, provides meshing, tank cooling grill covers on German armour, 101 easy detailing uses for very cheap , and it easily cuts with scissors.

FEC7-C04-D-1-AC2-4346-9-C48-43972893-B41

57735-CEB-85-E5-4-B18-A80-A-4-D184465-E7

Then looked at the oil cooler. it’s the wrong shape as has been pointed out so decided to scratch one from styrene tube . Also found Tolgar’s great build of a 602 Mk Ia from a few years ago so “borrowed” ideas from that – cheers!

Two tubes glued together to give me depth to sand back to the profile

0028-EB76-5-FAF-4-F1-E-A3-F7-30-A77-E2-C

Cut in half

355305-AB-1103-4-C4-D-9999-9-F032-C2-C3-

Original hole filled in with styrene sheet to level it up

688624-EE-B3-CD-4828-B665-D1-FF4785-D9-D

New cooler in place

D13-AF5-D0-81-B6-4264-9-F53-539-C6-B63-E

I read that early Spits were “up-armoured” around the fuel tank with an extra sheet of aluminium, it wasn’t armour as such just extra thickness I‘m guessing to help with splinters . From the pics I have it is quite visible if you look at the pics further up this thread. 

BTW if any real expert on Spits want to join in please do, my knowledge of all of this “lore” is minimal, and any help appreciated  

So out with some thin brass sheet, cut bend glue  

DAEBE198-2-B7-B-49-F6-B2-F2-F75336-A9-CF

And finally a coat of Halfords Primer – sorry thats a Brit thing . Something I swore by 10 years ago, discarded around 5 years ago , but occasionally has it’s uses, in this case a witness coat , small gap filler , to see what remedial work needs doing .

So that’s me on Friday night . More this weekend .

Cheers

PW

63-A7310-C-D5-D1-4953-9-C3-B-93-BBECB488

More progress

Decided to represent LO-J N3109 of 602 Spring/summer 1940 .

I can only find one (bad) pic showing this aircraft, although it’s cammo scheme is identical to the ones of the Spit being re-armed that I so liked , and also very similar to N3200 in scheme ( both Supermarine paint jobs around the same time ,maybe? )

First flight was October 39, then the aircraft served with 602 from Xmas eve 1939 to October 40 when it transferred to 603. Sadly shot down by a Bf109 killing the 24 year old F/O Mathews two days later.

Base paint done. Masked the walkways and the gas paint square. Hand cut masks.....:( Toned down with diluted flat earth and also a bit of buff. I am aware that gloss with darken it back up later, but will be going for a base of a faded worn look..  I doubt paints in 1939 stood up well to the Scottish weather. Next up some computer work for markings. NB Photo resolution on these pics is a little dubious TBH -artifical light etc. 

Cheers

AFAF662-C-B631-45-CB-BFC3-95149-C6-E76-B

661-A556-A-84-BD-408-A-B05-D-E83-D9-A24-

82057293-830-B-4-DFD-87-CF-7-C8-C72-F9-A

lod-5.jpg