F-5F Tiger II BLACKITE Over The Finish Line!

themongoose

So we’ve all seen alot of these KittyHawk kits BUT who’s checked out the Tiger decal all by itself in the F-5F boxing? 

E6D79DFD-0047-45E9-BBE9-ABE74A11330D-338

Exciting isn’t it! So I’m almost done with my AH-1Z Viper build so while some paint was drying I spent a night researching this one. My plan is to do 144 Squadron from the Republic of Singapore Air Force, complete with all tiger striping. Their mascot is a Black Kite, which looks a lot like a falcon. Definitely a bird of prey. 
My only aftermarket here is the seemless intakes from Phase Hangar Resins. Picked up a set for each of my Tigers. This one will be all about the final paint. Will probably post a few updates as i go along knowing we’ve all seen the many kit builds done. Will pick up the pace once it’s time to tame the Tiger ... striping 

here’s a few glamor shots for reference to this cool scheme

2B250020-45BE-4B89-A73B-12F744912AD1-600

297600BF-9C8B-4804-8169-234833B1BA08-L.j

Edited by themongoose

• 4 weeks later...

Well slower progress this weekend then i expected. I feel like i got the repop of these F-5 kits. There are half broken runners all thru them. On the nose gear it almost looks like it has 3...axels lol

IMG_1254-600x450.jpg

So far the side panels are on, the IP is soaking in MicroSol, the seats and cockpit tubs are painted up ready for decals and some pin point painting.

IMG_0002-600x450.jpg

Hoping to find some pilots out there no one has used. For now I primered the REO but will hold off till I see if anyone responds to my LF thread.

IMG_0004-600x450.jpg

Not too bad me thinks for using the kit decals. The one really bad thing was that they were missing a color. These didn’t have the gray printed on them. What a pain. If my cockpit were going to be open I’d have sourced new ones. Given the horrible clear parts these will look the part lol

• 2 weeks later...

This is coming together! Of all things KittyHawk switched the design and only included 1 open gun door AND one gun! The other side has a blank. Of all things i need 2 guns for the RSAF. That’s what has taken so long for an update. I fashioned a mount for the gun and replicated the internal supports. Then had to bore the hole for the gun. That’s rather tough to do at the sharp angle they exit the fuselage.

IMG_0073-600x450.jpg

While I’ve been waiting at different stages i put the fuel tank together. This is one of the highlights  of the kit. Beautiful joint that hasn’t required any putty or superglue so far to clean up the join. I’ve also started using the Flory wash to test the seams. Washes right out when done and so far is saving me from priming and then having to sand off primer to do the repairs. A real time saver.

IMG_0077-600x450.jpg

what’s currently slowing down the build are the seamless intakes. The entry section is good and can be made to match up well. Getting the solid tube to go over the gear bay is another story though. I’ve stopped here and ordered some flexible tube to see if a hybrid can be created. 

IMG_0076-600x450.jpg

the other headache is all the sanding. Dremel, HEPA filter mask and doing everything in my paintbooth with the fan on because of so much sanding. These have to be really thin at the entrance and paper thin along the length to clear the sides of the fuselage.

80CF48E8-A96D-452B-A97E-0CA391C36431-338

all this has to be sanded down

C8CBCFF9-69DD-4AC0-AEBE-C502DF9921E8-338

50763FA5-2B94-414B-951C-7A003B725276-338

No, sorry I’m not at paint yet :wacko: getting very close to primer though. This model is a ‘Tale of two cities’ for sure. There are things i like, things that make me go hmmmmm, and things I spend time on to straighten out.

Check out this wing joint, just a trim on the outer most radius and it fit beautiful

8F38FBDF-AAEB-48D9-A901-C87A136D36B2-600

then you look at the intake ramps and think hmmmm, not even the C team was on this. Dang it’s taken me 4x to CA and sand this to get them all smooth and invisible 

831EE917-6258-413D-83F1-E9CC6C7254C0-600

And last a teaser for what is to come hopefully this weekend...

9A46F6A1-8B10-434F-B3ED-0910D3B6046D-600

Edited by themongoose

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Excellent job! Regarding the guns - doesn't the two seater have only one gun and a gun camera on the other side? Or are the RSAF airfraft different to the other Fs? 

Hmmm, well maybe i did that for nothing. I don’t have any real clear pics of the aircraft on that side so it seems like i made a bad assumption, they have it painted black i guess as it looks like a barrel. Looking closer tho I’m guessing what i thought was more of a blurred image was actually the larger diameter camera housing. Looking at the other F-5’s as you suggest I can clearly see the gun camera so it must be that. Glad you highlighted that now. It’s an easy fix since nothing is primed yet :) 

OK I found a picture in my detail in scale book that I didn’t read the details on. I will say that they actually quote next to the picture that it’s easy to mistake this for a gun. Hey I have to rationalize it somehow right? LOL It’s just a larger diameter pipe essentially that they indicate is an air intake for cooling equipment in the nose section. So it will be an easy correction as I still need a tube in there I’ll just have to use something larger than the brass gun.

wish I could find some detailed pictures of the RSAF aircraft because there are a couple differences. For instance it’s indicated that the F5F’s had wing fences but I can clearly see in the pictures I’ve got that the RSAF aircraft don’t have wing fences. More research gotta love it!

Reached a grand milestone today, the fuselage is together :clap2: After 3 F-5 builds I’ve gotten the best seams ever. Same approach here as my E, the 3 fuselage pieces and both intakes go together all at the same time, CA the shoulder on top of the fuselage to tack it together, then roll it over and tack the bottom. Once everything is aligned the Tamiya extra thin is applied to all the joints. 

IMG_0153-338x450.jpg

IMG_0154-338x450.jpg

IMG_0151-338x450.jpg

IMG_0152-338x450.jpg

heres a peek inside. I created a hybrid of the seamless intakes. The section that went over the engines was awkward to say the least. The other issue is that way way way too much sanding is required. The instructions say alot is required but it turned out ridiculous. The tubing allows for flexibility and a little misalignment so that the intakes can be glued on squarely.

IMG_0150-600x450.jpg

IMG_0149-338x450.jpg