1/32 Revell Me262B-1/U-1 Nachtjager Red 10

Thunnus

On 2/14/2021 at 2:26 AM, Rocat said:

Wow! One of the best works I've ever seen. Bravo.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:44 AM, dennismcc said:

Absolutely stunning, I could not achieve such results but your build will probably prompt me to make a better job of my builds.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you!  You're no slouch yourself, Dennis!  But I do understand getting inspiration from other builders here at LSP!

On 4/6/2021 at 6:23 AM, Martinnfb said:

Flawless, inspirational and realistic. Enough said :). Thank You for sharing John.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin!  Man, I wish it were flawless but we are all probably our worst critics so it's better to just say thank you and give a polite bow!  

On 4/6/2021 at 9:35 AM, R Palimaka said:

Very impressive build, and the finish is superb! Such a subtle and masterful mottling technique. 

Brilliant work! 

Richard

Thanks Richard!  I actually adjusted my mottling technique as I worked.  It started off much more controlled and predetermined and I found that relaxed and random strokes produced better results.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, Kagemusha said:

Spellbindingly good. 

Thank you Kagemusha!

On 4/10/2021 at 7:03 AM, John1 said:

Amazing work.  Just curious - how did you determine that the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabs remained in the day fighter colors?

Thanks John!  Just a guess as there are no clear photos of the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabilizers.  The panel on the vertical tail fin surrounding the stabilizers were in a dark color and I just extended that idea to the upper stabilizer surfaces, seeing no clear indication of a mottle pattern.

48712382721-6c0f4bd576-o.jpg

RAF-USA-4-Messerschmitt-Me-262-B-1a-U1-W

• 2 years later...

Love it, love it!  Your detailing down to the brake hoses on the landing gear is exquisite, the camo pattern also I thought is particularly well executed.  I didn't know they ever painted the undersides of the night fighters in black, and used to wonder why not go all the way and paint the entire aircraft that same shade of black?  IDK the answer but if I had to guess, I think they wanted to be able to fly the same fighter during the day too when the mission required it, which considering how desperate things got in Germany after 1943, probably happened very often.  A flat black fighter plane would be pretty visible during daylight after all whereas the pattern shown on your 262 was probably plenty good at night anyway. 

I tend to devour the stories of the German night fighters, these brave men had an overwhelmingly tough job and incredible responsibility on their shoulders, always.  Their nearly impossible job was to knock down as many British night bombers as possible, night after night, flying in pitch darkness in every kind of weather...all while watching your homeland get bombed to rubble one city at a time and watching your comrades vanish forever one by one, and wondering when your turn would come - a more impossible job is hard to imagine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 5:37 PM, Martinnfb said:

This build needs to be pinned to the top. Always a joy to look at. :bow:

Cheers

Martin

Thank you Martin!

On 3/16/2024 at 12:48 AM, marc780 said:

Love it, love it!  Your detailing down to the brake hoses on the landing gear is exquisite, the camo pattern also I thought is particularly well executed.  I didn't know they ever painted the undersides of the night fighters in black, and used to wonder why not go all the way and paint the entire aircraft that same shade of black?  IDK the answer but if I had to guess, I think they wanted to be able to fly the same fighter during the day too when the mission required it, which considering how desperate things got in Germany after 1943, probably happened very often.  A flat black fighter plane would be pretty visible during daylight after all whereas the pattern shown on your 262 was probably plenty good at night anyway. 

I tend to devour the stories of the German night fighters, these brave men had an overwhelmingly tough job and incredible responsibility on their shoulders, always.  Their nearly impossible job was to knock down as many British night bombers as possible, night after night, flying in pitch darkness in every kind of weather...all while watching your homeland get bombed to rubble one city at a time and watching your comrades vanish forever one by one, and wondering when your turn would come - a more impossible job is hard to imagine.

Thank you Marc! One of the small details that I appreciated on the Revell 262 kit versus the Trumpeter version is ability to snake the brake lines from the landing gear into the wheel wells.  This type of continuity helps the illusion of realism greatly.  And yeah, it's difficult to imagine the stress/adrenaline strapping into the world's fastest fighter and hurtling towards heavily armed bomber aircraft in the pitch black of night.

16 hours ago, WIIM said:

Excellent work!

Thank you very much!

8 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

B R I L L I A N T!

Thank you Nikola! Appreciate you checking in on this archived build!