1/32 Revell Me262B-1/U-1 Nachtjager Red 10

Thunnus

10 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Turbine!  I like that term!  Thank you very much for checking in to this build!

Thanks Larry!  I appreciate you following and will see you at the next one!

Thanks Miloslav!

Thanks Mike!  As modelers I think we gravitate towards a light-color-first approach but it seemed to make more sense with these field-applied nightfighter schemes that the underlying dark colors would be utilized to save time/paint.  I wanted to try that approach with this build.

Thank you Ernest!  Yes, a careful but random application of the light blue RLM 76 over the dark green to achieve the mottle.  The wear on the drop tanks was done with the reference photos in mind... Red 10 had tanks that exhibited considerable paint wear.  The first attempt was a standard hairspray chipping application that just didn't capture the right look.

IMG_1147.jpg

So I scrubbed that and starting with a base of RLM 76, I used hairspray but also modulated the application of the black so that it was much lighter at the front of the tanks.  This allowed the black there to be more easily and completely eradicated.  Not exactly like the reference photos but much closer I think.

Thank you for the answers John.  I did much the same thing on the Bf109 I built for the BoB GB using RLM65 to tone down and blend the mottling.  Respect for your perservence and solution for the drop tank chipping, the final result is outstanding. 

Ernest 

On 2/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Simply LOVELY!   Really a knock out for sure

Thanks Brian!  Appreciate it!

On 2/3/2021 at 12:22 AM, Greif8 said:

Thank you for the answers John.  I did much the same thing on the Bf109 I built for the BoB GB using RLM65 to tone down and blend the mottling.  Respect for your perservence and solution for the drop tank chipping, the final result is outstanding. 

Ernest 

You're welcome Ernest!  I'm glad that I was able to get the drop tanks a little closer to what I was seeing in the photos.  Not going for an exact representation but I hoped to capture a number of the little details that can be discerned on the real Red 10.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:16 AM, Dpgsbody55 said:

Really, really well done.  Your build story was a great read and I think I'll bookmark this for my own attempt at this.  :wow:

Brilliant.

Michael

Thank you Michael!  I hope my build process helps you out when you decide to tackle this kit!

On 2/3/2021 at 11:17 PM, Wolf Buddee said:

Exquisite! That’s the word that immediately came to mind when I saw your finished model John. Once I get vaccinated and mutation begins I’ll give you three thumbs up. For now it’s only two! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you so much Wolf!  Hopefully we'll see more of your lovely Corsair soon???

On 2/6/2021 at 1:44 PM, Jan_G said:

wow, outstanding build John! :speak_cool:

jan

Thanks Jan!

23 hours ago, Starfighter Jock said:

The pinnacle of craftsmanship.  Well done John.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk!  I appreciate the kind words!

On 2/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Back for a second, perhaps third viewing.  Wonderful results John.  B)

Come back anytime Troy!  I'm always fishing for compliments! ;) 

Have I ever shown you this custom painted crawfish lure I did?

JTK-1144-copy.jpg

On 2/8/2021 at 6:04 PM, hworth18 said:

Absolutely beautiful build!! Makes me want to break out and start building mine. Although mine wouldn't look near as good.

Go for it!  I said the same thing about my Tamiya Corsair kit sitting on the shelf when I was following Wolf Buddee's build. 

• 1 month later...