Life under Lockdown.....What are we all missing the the most?

monthebiff

11 hours ago, Basta said:

I assume that you have served in the German armed forces, as was obligatory for all German adolescents until sometime in the late 1980s, and thus have been - for lack of a better word - indoctrinated on certain levels, since you say that you have no problem with "truncated" liberties, having already experienced them while being enlisted and thus totally taken care of as well as paid for your time of service.

I live in a major metropole in an apartment, and have always worked independently, and under the current restrictions millions of people like me are forced into a state of martial law that strips us of the most basic rights. Freedom of movement, of congress, of association. Heck, of walking the street after 6 pm, as if covid becomes more lethal in the late afternoon. 

I have a much more jaundiced view of government than you do, and with reason; up until this crisis, our government has  for years been attempting to starve out its own health services with the endgame to privatize them, leading to numerous strikes and protests. This same government now laments that its hospitals are overburdened and uses this to justify its draconian policies. 

Actually, I am an American, with a German mother, and therefore all my maternal relatives are German, and served in the U.S. Army; though because I speak read and write German I worked often with the Bundeswehr - especially during operations in Afghanistan.  So actually it is probably worse in your eyes - I volunteered to serve in the military, rather then serving "Wehrdienst" time, and gave up some freedoms by my own choice.  As far as being totally taken care of and well paid for my service, well like all professions monetary compensation is an expected part of employment, and good soldiers tend to take care of both themselves, and more importantly their comrades.  I doubt you are either interested in hearing or discussing that in detail so I will leave it at that.

You are of course free to express your opinion on the current Corona mitigation measures in place, and your wider view of the government.  I opt to refrain from further comment on that particular topic here, as the rules are pretty clear that discussions should not be political in nature and I respect that.  In closing I wish you all the best and hope you remain healthy.

MfG,

Ernest 

This is veering to the political which isn't really a surprise given the nature of the thread.

I'm retired and have been bringing up a daughter on my own for the last 12 years (widowed) and she has just turned 16.

I sit at the table on my lappy and she sits opposite me on hers "at school".

They are doing full lessons online which is good.

I was thinking back to the first "lockdown" in March last year and how different this current one is.

With the vaccines rolling out cases are plunging fast although deaths are taking longer to reduce.

In the first one "outside" was like a ghost town.

A lot more cars on the roads with this one as people are taking advantage to do essential shopping which is allowed.

People don't seem so "scared" as there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My concern is that we should try and get back to normal when it happens.

Not this "new" normal as that's a con.

Back like we used to be.

I don't think I'm unique in that I sometimes go on You tube to listen to favourite songs and end up spending a long time "remembering" others that appear as suggestions.

I was going through ELO tracks the other day and found one which really took me aback.

It seemed so strange to see what was going on in the vid.

Not something I personally want to do but I hope we can get back to times when we can do this if we wish to and just be with people again.

As a really big bloke, and on a mission to slim a LOT, I’m missing being able to use my gym. I’m still managing to lose body fat through nutritional strategy and walking locally. There’s only so many routes to walk where I am though, before the scenery gets repetitive and demotivating to continue the walks. 
I’m also missing being able to travel to my favourite walking areas in the Peak District, and Snowdonia. 
38kg of body fat shed so far, so I mustn’t grumble too much. I’m still getting results.