Life under Lockdown.....What are we all missing the the most?

monthebiff

Actually i haven't dealt with any other day outside this pandemic differently,  mostly because i was actually a member of my son's family (though living somewhere else) by being there 24/7 helping rebuilding his home, and seeing the problems arrising by the developments in the aviation world, and seeing his job going down the drain because of all these "malfunctions" in aviation, he being a FO on a A330 with a sure possible loss of his job, which gives me the creeps thinking about it......

My own situation is more or less secure, which the more gives me concern thinking about what will happen to ....our children.....

15 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I miss everything we had just twelve months ago.  And I mean everything.

I definitely cannot say I miss everything we had here in the US 12 months ago, but being able to walk around freely in any public place or sporting event with others, even if I don't always want to do it, would be a nice thing to get back to. 

Eating out, going to movies, traveling (to things like NATS!!), and NOT having to wear a @#$%^&^%@! mask everywhere. The protocols we have to follow on the volunteer FD are also a massive pain. I also agree with the anniversary idea - next year is our 25th, and I would really like to be able to go somewhere fun, so here's hoping it's declined enough by then! Also still hopeful for NATS this August!

On the bright side, I'm a little like Brian, in that I don't enjoy being around people every day, so working from home was kind of nice. It really helped my stress level a lot. I am also getting out and picking up more active hobbies again, like metal detecting, albeit alone, and my wife said she may join me sometimes now that I have two detectors (just bought a new one). Now if I could just find someone in the eastern half of the US who would let me come and detect with them for older stuff than I can find here in the NW....hint, hint....like SC, or GA, or any civil war hotspots....

Tim

For me, life is pretty much the same as I worked remotely before, and still do now. What I miss the most if model shows and contests. My local club was one of the very few to actually put on a show last year in November, and nobody died! but since then, everything within 500 miles of here has cancelled.

I am in the minority in that I really don't miss much of anything due to the pandemic.  I retired from the U. S. Army at the end of 2018 after 22.5 years; and after experiencing and dealing with a few things during my career really enjoy my solitude now.  In addition to modeling I also like woodworking and those two passtimes keep me busy enough. 

Ernest 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, BiggTim said:

Eating out, going to movies, traveling (to things like NATS!!), and NOT having to wear a @#$%^&^%@! mask everywhere. The protocols we have to follow on the volunteer FD are also a massive pain. I also agree with the anniversary idea - next year is our 25th, and I would really like to be able to go somewhere fun, so here's hoping it's declined enough by then! Also still hopeful for NATS this August!

On the bright side, I'm a little like Brian, in that I don't enjoy being around people every day, so working from home was kind of nice. It really helped my stress level a lot. I am also getting out and picking up more active hobbies again, like metal detecting, albeit alone, and my wife said she may join me sometimes now that I have two detectors (just bought a new one). Now if I could just find someone in the eastern half of the US who would let me come and detect with them for older stuff than I can find here in the NW....hint, hint....like SC, or GA, or any civil war hotspots....

Tim

Gotta be very careful with that here in the South Tim.  I know someone that has family with land, and they know it was a battlefield.  Problem is, they won’t let anyone look because they know what will happen if there is documented proof.  They basically lose their land rights.  Archeologists will get gov. permits to dig, next thing it is made a historical site where it can never be developed or anything built on it.  Guy at work has told me stories of people knocking on his aunts door constantly wanting to MD the property.  She runs them off. 

Along the rivers here in Columbia you can find cannon balls and grape shot balls on occasion, but the ones I have seen were found without a MD.  But you don’t want to touch the cannon balls.  They have a tendency to still be alive.   Any public lands around here are off limits for MD’rs.  I bought one, had fun on the beach with it and started looking into hitting some areas around town and it is a real PITA to get permission.  

As far as what I miss with the pandemic?  A cruise.  Our last was fall of 2018 to Alaska.  We hit the last week the ships come to port.  We wanted to do an eastern Caribbean but now it’s on hold.  

I’ve been back to work, but I miss when everyone was relaxed and got along with each other.  It seems now everyone is out to stab everyone in the back because they are afraid of cuts or something.  We’re pretty safe since we are installing online tech into classrooms.  

I would echo the sentiment that I miss my grandkids the most. I can zoom with them, but it isn't the same as one on one time together. They live too far away to see without a plane ride or a several day drive. Not happening.

My brother in law just passed away. It was unexpected following heart surgery. My sister is doing OK, but I can't see her either. Some of the good parts about funerals (and weddings, which are also few and far between now) were getting back in touch with more extended family. I am noticing that this has pushed us a bit more into contact, but limited by the virus. Like New Year's resolutions, we say we will keep it up, and I hope we do, but know that it takes real effort.

One good thing to come from this was what my brother in law said shortly before he passed. He said that he had "forgiven anyone who may have offended him in the past and hoped that everyone else could forgive him". I admire that sentiment and hope that we could incorporate it into our lives.

Be safe and thanks for being there and having fun,

Tnarg

Okay, I tried to avoid this thread as long as possible, but I'm pretty taken aback by the general complacency I've read. In the country where I "live" - I put live in quotes because life as I knew it has been reduced to a cruel shadow of the world that was - we are under curfew and no one can currently leave their home after 6pm, and our third round of martial law - again to last at least 6 weeks - will be implemented next week. 

Martial law is exactly what it is; you cannot leave home, even to go to the corner grocer, without your ID and a sworn and time-stamped document of your intentions. You can do so for one hour per day. You can be arrested for not wearing a mask on the street. 

Restaurants, cafés, bars and cultural activities are closed and have been for most of the year; travel outside the EU is banned and inside you must have a certificate that you are covid negative to travel anywhere else. This is a country that professes "liberty," but it has become a cruel joke. 

A good friend's father is in his 90s and  was drafted into the Hitler Jungend at age 16; he survived the end of the war and later became an international nuclear engineer. He said that even at the worst of the war one could go anywhere one wanted with no fear of interrogation. He is amazed by what is happening now. 

I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by Basta
Typos

Work-wise, nothing has changed for me. I have been working from an office in my home for decades. From time to time I also worked from different locations around the world, all I needed was my laptop and an internet connection. 

I miss model shows.

In "normal" years, because of my work, I used to attend a few big shows (Nuremberg, Shizuoka, IPMS USA, Telford) as well as some great local shows (too many to mention), where I used to meet friends and acquaintances, from around the world. I miss having meals/drinks/chats with the people who produce scale models. At this stage all of these shows are on hiatus. I have booked my trip to the IPMS show in Las Vegas and I hope that it will take place. I also hope Telford will take place too, but that may depend more on the current self-harming and hostile business environment in the UK than on COVID. "Foreign traders" were a significant part of Telford but the current customs and VAT system makes it difficult if not impossible for such traders to attend. Hopefully other shows on European mainland may step in to fill that gap in the market. 

I really fear that it will take some time until such shows will happen again.

Radu

On 01/02/2021 at 5:46 AM, ivanmoe said:

My wife has a terrible form of uterine cancer. However, she looks and feels great. In other words, she's in between the recurrence and treatment cycles. I'd love to really treat her, to travel, or just go to a nice restaurant. It killing me that I can't do more to make this part of her life richer and more enjoyable.

I have no words. Words are overrated. She needs you close. You're there.

Respect. 

On 01/02/2021 at 5:54 AM, LSP_K2 said:

Can't help you there. I certainly don't have it.

Yeah mate, we know. :P