Life under Lockdown.....What are we all missing the the most?

monthebiff

Coming up to a month back in lockdown in the UK again and apart from the obvious of being able to spend time with family and friends what are we all missing the doing the most?

For me I'm really missing gigs, was lucky enough to see Editors,  Rattlesnakes and Twin just before the March lockdown. I'm not just missing the live music and getting hot and sweaty in the pit but queuing from early afternoon to get barrier and catching up with friends and having just the best times.

A trip to Duxford or Cosford would be equally as enjoyable but yes for me gigs!

So what is everyone else missing from their pre lockdown days?

Regards. Andy 

Seeing my students face to face every day.  Yes, having a job after all of this is great, but teaching my kids through a computer screen just isn't the same as sharing class and music with them every day.  Especially now that I only see them twice a week instead of 5 days a week like I did pre-COVID.

Matt 

6 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Seeing my students face to face every day.  Yes, having a job after all of this is great, but teaching my kids through a computer screen just isn't the same as sharing class and music with them every day.  Especially now that I only see them twice a week instead of 5 days a week like I did pre-COVID.

Matt 

It must be tough for you Matt and feel for all teachers as you all thrive on spending time face to face with your students and seeing them grow and become stronger and more confident as each term passes!

Regards. Andy 

Travelling. Just celebrated 25 years of wedded bliss and this was supposed to be our big travel year. It also happens to coincide with my retirement. So instead of being in Europe and South America right now with my bride, I am in front of this computer in my man-cave, huddled and typing this, instead of exploring Costa Rica, and thinking how I really need to replace these floors......

39 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

It must be tough for you Matt and feel for all teachers as you all thrive on spending time face to face with your students and seeing them grow and become stronger and more confident as each term passes!

Regards. Andy 

That's definitely been the hardest part, for myself and my students.  I know that they want to be back with their friends every day at school, and I want to see them in class.  But we're just not at that point here.

Matt 

Nice topic gent's!  

J.C awesome.  Just celebrated 35 years this past week with my awesome wife.  Had a nice three day trip to Chattanooga looking for the right spot to retire.  Wishing this will turn for the better sooner rather than later.  My 84 year old parents are the concern.  I turned the TV off around October and choose to read more books and only to news I feel I want to read.  Best thing ever!  Such nonsense out there anymore.  

I certainly feel for Matt and the kids.  My sister is a teacher and feels the same way with her kids.  They are suffering for sure.  

Listening to more music than ever and taking hard walks and partial runs for 5.5 / 6 miles a day.  I left California in October ( Twenty years) for the mid South (Tennessee) and love the decision we made.  I traveled the globe for 30 plus years for commercial aircraft leasing and I don't want to get inside a aviation tin can anymore.  Can anyone tell me what colors are on a Cider waxwing seeing it right in front of them?  The Pileated Woodpecker sighting will take your breathe away too!  Love the Mid south!

This site is sure is bliss too.  The moderators do an amazingly fantastic job keeping us all in bliss!  Hats off to them!  

I think I'm missing the feeling that I can do lots of stuff in my spare time (within the realms of possibility, obviously). Having said that, if it's a case of feel like that for a period of time or lie in hospital with some horrible virus, I think the first option is infinitely preferable to the second. 

Chris.

PS: The original question was "How do you stay sane during Lockdown?" That's a simple one.... I shout at all the moronic things I see on TV. It's a VERY wide field to explore... 

PPS: This is much less of a joke than it probably reads. 

Excellent question!! I miss work, interacting with co-workers. The repair aspect kept my mind busy and active, something important to me. Being able to go to the store/restaurants/MODEL SHOPS/hardware store...otherwise, i'm good. Not being at work and out of the shops keeps me away from the plague, lets me catch up on reading, stuff around the house. Will be 62 this year, so this is also giving me a glimpse into retirement, so i'll know what to expect, what i should change...

Don

And a HUGE kudos to all the teachers and education workers out there who are doing their utmost to ensure quality education to our children during these impossible circumstances imposed by the pandemic. I decided to call it a day after thirty-four years of teaching, just as the pandemic was beginning to shut things down. I spent my last three months of my teaching career teaching kids online. It was next to impossible. And the kids were mostly amazing at doing their end. So I personally know what you educators are currently experiencing during this crisis. My heart goes with you. And please remember to look after yourselves!!

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Nice topic gent's!  

J.C awesome.  Just celebrated 35 years this past week with my awesome wife.  Had a nice three day trip to Chattanooga looking for the right spot to retire.  Wishing this will turn for the better sooner rather than later.  My 84 year old parents are the concern.  I turned the TV off around October and choose to read more books and only to news I feel I want to read.  Best thing ever!  Such nonsense out there anymore.  

Troy, Congrats on your 35th! That is a fabulous milestone. Best of luck on your retirement spot. It sounds lovely. I have passed through that part of Tennessee on occasion and always thought it beautiful! Like you, I am concerned about my 91 year old mother who is living in a Long Term Care facility and no one is allowed to visit. We just need to hang in there, and give our parents as much support as we can. 

While I definitely miss hanging out with my family, the wife and I have discovered that we really dont like people that much, and dont really miss hanging out with strangers. 

:lol:

We do however miss going to the local "Alamo Theater" where you can go see a flick at a theater while they serve you dinner and or drinks while you watch the movie (they have small low light tables set up between groups of two seats). Other than that our favorite hobby together is getting as far from others as we can.

A very good question Andy! I’m the complete opposite of Brian, I miss PEOPLE!  The contexts vary - I sorely miss my mates playing golf.  We’ve all come to realise the golf per se doesn’t matter that much, it’s just the chat, the banter as we stroll round the course, which is stunningly beautiful, and especially in the clubhouse afterwards over a pint of beer (or two).

And then again people in the context of having dinner, whether it’s entertaining at home or out at a restaurant; it’s all fun and laughter. We’re planning a dinner and scrabble game tonight with friends via Facetime, both couples having supper and playing scrabble against each other.

My wife and I like walking and cycling, but it’s much more enjoyable in a group of friends. As you go along the “sub-groups” change so you chat away and then a pub for lunch at the halfway point, just brilliant. I never realised I was quite such a social animal so lockdown has reinforced for me just how valuable friends are. The excellent news is that I get my jab on Tuesday so that’s the start of the road to recovery, can’t wait. 

Edited by mozart

I’ve found there is not a lot of change for me. I still go to work each day, on my commute I can’t say traffic is less with the exception of lockdown 1 back in March when it was like driving on New Year’s Day. Strange how all these commuters have appeared though, but hey Ho there are no hold ups at Stonehenge anymore. I do the food shopping as my wife is “at risk” and we haven’t been invited for the jab yet. It would be nice to freely go out without a mask or gelling the hands at any point. Still can potter around the allotment and take the dogs out.

I miss free/spare time to do models!!! My classic car repair shop (classic British and German cars ) has been very busy because everyone is stuck at home looking at their toys and have time to do stuff, and we are updating the house room by room. The bathroom right now. I need more than 7 days in a week.  Troy, well done on the move to more natural surroundings, we had bluebirds at the garden feeders this week and a redcap woodpecker as well as the usual cardinals, chickadees, bluejays, etc. Regards, Pete in RI