Trumpeter Wildcats

Thomas Lund

10 hours ago, D Bellis said:

The original tool was never released in the US. Yes, a few folks in the US/Canada got them from Asia before the retool, but those examples are very few and far between. 

Given that whole fiasco happened going on 18 years ago now, getting one of the first batch by accident seems unlikely. 

Have a look here for more info:

http://kits.kitreview.com/f4f432reviewbg_2.htm

HTH,

D

Yes good point, thanks D.

The easy way to tell the difference between the two kits is to look inside the fuselage halves. If there is molded in grid of structure, it is the first, error-filled kit. If there is no grid, it is the corrected molds. There is other,more subtle changes, and they introduced new errors, but that is the easy way to tell.

5 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Compare what you have to this image (from the page I posted a link to in my previous post):

gNfQGJe.jpg

HTH,

D

That is a good comparison, but is easier when you have both kits. If you look at the interiors...:

116921902_WildcatOlvNw.jpg.490cf6aece4b735b3363f9cffb6c9583.jpg

As I was saying up above, they got rid of the faux structure cast in behind the cockpit in the newer version. Easy way to tell them apart.

PS: Don't pay attention to the short vert stabilizer in the old fuselage; I cut it off to make the tail extension for the FM-2.

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

As I was saying up above, they got rid of the faux structure cast in behind the cockpit in the newer version. Easy way to tell them apart.

PS: Don't pay attention to the short vert stabilizer in the old fuselage; I cut it off to make the tail extension for the FM-2.

That works, too. 

Not having the original abortion (fortunately), I always refer to that HS page which has had that clear, concise information and images on the Trumpeter F4F-4 differences posted since 2003.

D

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

That is a good comparison, but is easier when you have both kits. If you look at the interiors...:

116921902_WildcatOlvNw.jpg.490cf6aece4b735b3363f9cffb6c9583.jpg

It looks like I got the good wildcat.

j3oben.jpg

24 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

That works, too. 

Not having the original abortion (fortunately), I always refer to that HS page which has had that clear, concise information and images on the Trumpeter F4F-4 differences posted since 2003.

D

I bought the original release mostly because I was curious. I am glad I did as it gives me more insight on the re-work and new problems the re-work caused. I am now using the original as a guide in helping correct the -4 and convert to the FM-2.