Tamiya F-4B Phantom Conversion (Finished! 25 Sep)

easixpedro

2 hours ago, shan said:

there is a superset conversion from a F-4J to F-4B by GT Resin. I built one myself. its a good set, the only issue i had was that i think the moulds are not as crisp as other brands, so lots of touching up to do.

Yes there is...but its been out of stock for some time.:huh: So I'm really going to show folks how easy it is to make a couple of cuts and get B variant.

Of course it'd be much easier to have that conversion kit...

• easixpedro changed the title to Tamiya F-4B Phantom conversion (Stbd Wing Converted 30 Jan)

OK, quick update. Was on a role this afternoon.  Went pretty quick--think all in all it took me less than an hour total to cut everything out and replace w/ styrene.

As I mentioned, I held onto the old parts. I laid a piece of tape over the part and traced the outline w/ a pencil. Transfer it to the styrene stock and cut around your marks. Easy as pie.

20210130_105538 20210130_105849

Here's the underwing w/ replacements. 

20210130_150227

The upper went the same way, however I just traced the piece I cut out onto a piece of styrene.

20210130_151137

20210130_153745

Here's the underneath. You can see I shimmed it--don't want a ghost seam or an outright crack in that long expanse. You can also see what detail you'll lose and what needs to be built back.

20210130_153807

Here's an upside down view of the starboard wing, sans wheel humps.

20210130_154221

Here's the port wing--you can make out the humps, both upper and lower.

20210130_154303 20210130_154301

And finally, I was on a roll and cut out the leading and trailing edge flaps.  You can see how little area is left and why I replaced the bulges first. Surefire way to warp your wing otherwise.

20210130_163514

Will likely get the landing gear bays assembled and in this wing for stability prior to hacking away on everything else. As for time spent, I think I'm about 3 hours in, total and that's largely spent cutting out the flaps.  Of course, I still need to scribe the upper wing where I replaced stuff, (keep the part for reference) but it's gone relatively quick. Gotta say I'm a huge fan of the PE saws--made it much easier this time around. Last time I obliterated a LOT of detail with a jewelers saw that I then had to go back and replace. These saws fit right in the panel line and don't take out any detail.

That's it for now--thanks for following along and for the comments!

-Peter

6 hours ago, jimbo59 said:

You’ve made this look easy. Who needs a conversion set?

6 hours ago, jenshb said:

Looks like a manageable conversion, made a lot easier by the availability of narrow resin wheels and plenty of decals for the B and N.  Thank you for providing this step by step instruction on how to do it.

10 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

You make it look so easy!

Thanks for the step by step process.  And thanks for your support of my build buddy!

I shall follow this with great interest

I’ll be honest, I’ve converted about 10 of the old Monogram F-4Cs into Bs, so it gave me plenty of practice! Appreciate the kind words as that was my point of showing the steps. It’s fairly straight forward and within the skill level of most folks. I think the hardest part is deciding which Tamiya kit to go with!  

I’ll put in an order with Sprue Brothers here shortly to get some resin intakes and exhausts with the Thin B wheels thrown in to boot. I did get ahead of myself last night and I glued that wing together...forgetting that you have to screw the fuselage to the lower wing, and then attach the upper wing. Minor setback, and Why I’m ordering the other stuff, so I can close up the fuselage and move on.  I’ll get some pics of how to convert the speedbrakes and gear doors to the thin wing. Also pretty easy.

Thanks again for the comments, and more soon!

Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to Tamiya F-4B Phantom conversion (Converting speed brakes and gear doors 31Jan))

Here's a quick show and tell on how I'll modify the speed brakes and gear doors.  They're bulged too and need modifying for the thin B wing.

Here's a view of the bulge. 

20210131_145106

You can see I've traced the outline on a sheet of .3 styrene stock. 

20210131_145053

Sometimes I'll take the part in a pare of needle nose pliers and flatten them a bit. Will definitely do that with the inboard gear doors as they're too small to worry about. Next up is sanding. I know all of us do this to fit resin tubs into cockpits and gear wells. Just keep sanding till it's paper thin...

20210131_150353 20210131_151942

Then trim off the excess and glue to your outline, and boom, a speedbrake suitable for the thin B wing! (still needs scribing to match the panel lines, but that's easy)

20210131_152003

Laying in place (that little triangular area behind the speedbrake could be thinned as well--there's a bit of the bulge left, but its less the .2 mm, so I'm leaving it so I don't mess up the detail there--no one would notice, even w/ the brakes closed)

20210131_152057

And how it'll look open. The majority of this will be blocked by the flaps being in the down position.

20210131_152228

The gear doors will be handled the same way--I don't know how big of a difference there is on the inner structures of the gear doors between the J and B variants, but I suspect not much. If anyone notices that in the midst of everything else, frankly I'll buy 'em a drink! Total time to modify the single speedbrake was about 1/2 an hour.  

-Peter

Just now, jenshb said:

If you have a Silhouette cutter, then you might even be able to trace the outline of the outer as well as inner skin and cut new parts from 0.25 mm plasticard.  It may not cut all the way through, but deep enough that you can snap the parts out.  Then add rivet detail.

Very true!  But for me, it would take me longer to drag it out of the closet, set it up and do that than it took to sand down the kit part. There's some nice detail on the Tamiya parts that I've tried to salvage. On my previous Tamiya conversion, I tried making them out of sheet styrene and made a gigantic mess.  This will at least look the part w/o spending too much effort. That effort will be parlayed into other details such as the tailhook or converting to a B cockpit. I'm sure others will have better ideas too--I'm sure you could even 3D print it, but I haven't even begun to figure that out, so for now it remains out of reach.

Great job, I'll be following your project with huge interest - as usual! I have seen several B conversions without using any aftermarket set and I am sure it is totally doable - I'll try it one day as well. I absolutely love the scene showing the aircraft just leaving the deck - I may "steal" this idea for a future project, it just looks too dynamic not to do it. 

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more! 

3 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Great job, I'll be following your project with huge interest - as usual! I have seen several B conversions without using any aftermarket set and I am sure it is totally doable - I'll try it one day as well. I absolutely love the scene showing the aircraft just leaving the deck - I may "steal" this idea for a future project, it just looks too dynamic not to do it. 

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more! 

Ben, tried to send you a PM, but no joy. You’d blow us all away if you did this scene! 
Here’s the old WIP threads to the different ones I’ve done (haven’t converted the pics from PB though, so not the best). I also think the F-4 is the worst candidate for it as the wings are so thin. Doable, but takes some forethought for certain. Well within your ability though!

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=15441
http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=29067

-Peter

Peter, it seems my inbox was full - I have just cleaned it up. Thank you very much for posting the links to your WIP threads. I think you are overestimating my abilities - my experience with this kind of presentation is very limited. I'd love to give it a go and I will check out your WIPs to get an idea what I'll have to do! Thanks a gain and keep those updates coming - loving your progress so far!