TA-7C / EA-7L "Twosair" - Trumpeter conversion

Starfighter

Steve, it's actually more fiddling around with stuff I like rather than real modelling - it's just super difficult to get some bench time with a little daughter and a baby girl in the house... 

Marcel, I will certainly bring it to EME, butI doubt it'll be finished by then. The ERA-3B is priority #1, but I am planning to play around with the TA-7C at the same time. Once the basic cockpit structure is finished, I can starttweaking the outer shape. The thing is - I need bench time to do that. Hopefully soon... 

• 1 month later...

Hey there! It's been a while again... beside playing around with useless stuff I'm not going to finish anyway, I managed to make some progress on the Twosair. I have decided to close the forward fuselage before attacking the cockpit as it'll remain easily accessible with the fuselage closed. So out came the automotive body filler and the scribing tools for a first sanding and scribing session. I will have to further modify the foward fuselage as the radome and the are a just behind it are not circular enough in section. 

img_2736zikzh.jpg

img_2737jhj4y.jpg

Note the "excellent" fit of the Aires avoinics and wheel bays. All of them are between 2 and 2,5mm short; funny enough, the height is OK. 

img_2746vxk3m.jpg

img_2745vlkxc.jpg

Another view at the Aires parts.

img_2741npkdq.jpg

img_2743qsjh4.jpg

img_2744wqjxv.jpg

The corrected intake looks rather good but in this view, the slightly misshapen radome and front fuselage section are obvious. This will be adressed next. 

img_2752obj1o.jpg

Cheers everyone! :) I need to finalise leaning and re-arranging my room before I can really restart, but I hope to get that done soon. Matt, the Skywarrior will definintely make it back onto the bench. I'd love to finish it for a show next March, so I have to get going again very soon... 

Jeez, Ben, another project, that I need to follow.

What is it that I find so attractive in twoseaters (well, most, not all ... )? If I should ever build a Starfighter, it would be a TF-104G.

Apropos Starfighter: Isn't that a strange screen name for someone who does only Navy stuff? Just saying ... :innocent:

Cheers

Rainer

I often prefer twoseaters as well... the TA-7 definitely looks better than the single seater in as it is longer and its shape looks more refined in my opinion. 

Well, when it comes to nicknames, this one was chosen a very, very long time ago - back in 2002 when I registered for the German forums FlugzeugForum and my preferred name was already taken. As I liked the 104 as well (it still is my preferred non US Navy aircraft), it seemed like an obvious second choice back then. To keep it coherent, I used the same nickname in all modelling related forums I have ever registered for. Nowadays, I'd certainly choose a different one... but sometimes it's nice to feel like it's 2002 again! :D 

I have slapped a bit of automotive body filler onto the nose in order to add some much needed volume. Looks super rough, but a lot of sanding will be required anyway. 

img_01077nk2l.jpg

After some initial sanding, the nose section looks much better already. A bit more refining before I'll add a coat of primer to check the result. 

img_0108d0kxh.jpg

img_0109vijaj.jpg