1/48 Tamiya F-4B

Dragon

16 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Mostly due to the funky interlocking tread areas, which I imagine will leave plenty of seams to mess with, and I'd rather not.

Having just built that kit, I'd say you are mistaken.   All the tread blocks join together at depressions in the treads.   If done properly, you end up with nicely bulged, highly detailed tires with no visible seams.   Sure beats the vinyl tires that Tamiya offered up with their previous kits.    I'm not sure anyone even bothered to release resin tires for this kit, there really just isn't any need. 

Regarding the Tamiya kit, one cautionary note - Tamiya molded in all the EW antennas and fairings.  As such - the kit represents a very specific sub-set of F-4B's from a very specific time period during the Vietnam War.  So -  if you are going with aftermarket decals, study pics of the real thing closely because you may have some work to do regarding adding or removing some lumps and bumps.    Here is an outstanding reference of all the changes that Navy F-4's went through as part of Project Shoehorn and later efforts.

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/search/label/EW

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Having just built that kit, I'd say you are mistaken.   All the tread blocks join together at depressions in the treads.   If done properly, you end up with nicely bulged, highly detailed tires with no visible seams.   Sure beats the vinyl tires that Tamiya offered up with their previous kits.    I'm not sure anyone even bothered to release resin tires for this kit, there really just isn't any need. 

Barracuda makes a set

21 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Mostly due to the funky interlocking tread areas, which I imagine will leave plenty of seams to mess with, and I'd rather not.

A picture is better than a thousand words

IMG-2664.jpg