1/48 Tamiya F-4B

Dragon

I have been working on a Tamiya Spitfire IX for the last couple months going really slowly because I just could not settle down and focus on one model or modeling.  All of a sudden last weekend I realized I could assemble the fuselage and cockpit, move on to the tail and wings and really move this towards final assembly.  But with two engines, a gun and bomb bay, a foreword machine gun bay and the two person cockpit in the Mosquito, I would still be working on the front pilot section parts.  I loved the Mosquito kit but I felt like it was too much.  

I'm wondering if this new F-4B will come with air-to-mud ordnance as the US Marines didn't normally run air-to-air missions (to the best of my knowledge, information, and belief).  if it only comes with AIM's, then I won't waste my money as I'm not going to spend upwards of $100 on a kit of that size and then have to spend another X amount on air-to-ground ordnance just so I can do a proper USMC aircraft.  US NAVY is right out!

18 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Looks to me like Tamiya is putting a lot of money and effort into RC cars and trucks and some other toy-like jimcrackery for 2021 and very little into model airplanes.  Apparently they think new LSPs are not where the money is.

That's been Tamiya's MO for decades now.  RC cars have a way higher profit margin and retail volume.

Matt 

56 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I'm wondering if this new F-4B will come with air-to-mud ordnance as the US Marines didn't normally run air-to-air missions (to the best of my knowledge, information, and belief).  if it only comes with AIM's, then I won't waste my money as I'm not going to spend upwards of $100 on a kit of that size and then have to spend another X amount on air-to-ground ordnance just so I can do a proper USMC aircraft.  US NAVY is right out!

The 1:32 Tamiya Marines F-4J, is chock full of weaponry, so perhaps this will be the same.

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

I don't do 1/48, but if i were doing a F-4B, it would be a CAS bird from the Vietnam era based at Chu Lai or Da Nang. Pretty much means Snakeyes, rocket pods, napalm...would be nice to see these included in the kit.

Don

Looks amazing but kinda of an odd market choice.

we have Hasegawa thats nice, Academy that is really nice, ZM also very nice all in 1/48 covering all variants. 

in 1/32 we are still paying top dollar for a kit thats been around for quite a while, from what ive seen its nice but needs some love. Winder why they would not go that roue knowing they would be the only game in town ? The only othe competion is the revell kit but i dont think its comaprable

Edited by Neo

20 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

That's been Tamiya's MO for decades now.  RC cars have a way higher profit margin and retail volume.

Matt 

It would be interesting to learn what percentage of their LSPs are sold to customers in Japan.  I’d think with everyone living cheek by jowl in relatively small abodes that shelf space for finished LSP models would be at an absolute premium.

21 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Marines did do air-to-air missions, particularly supporting Linebacker strikes from Nam Phong.

I may be wrong, but I'd guess this boxing would be similar to their first F-4J by probably focusing on air-to-air loads too and the MiG killer decals like "everyone" seems to prefer.

Here's an air-to-air pic from 115's 72-73 cruisebook:

115.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
added pic

3 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

Marines did do air-to-air missions, particularly supporting Linebacker strikes from Nam Phong.

I may be wrong, but I'd guess this boxing would be similar to their first F-4J by probably focusing on air-to-air loads too and the MiG killer decals like "everyone" seems to prefer.

Maybe so, and by 1972, were the F-4B's still in service or had they been replaced by F-4J's?  The primary role of USMC aircraft is ground support so by-and-large the vast majority of F-4B sorties would probably contain air-mud ordnance with a mix of air-to-air as deemed appropriate.

11 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Maybe so, and by 1972, were the F-4B's still in service or had they been replaced by F-4J's?  The primary role of USMC aircraft is ground support so by-and-large the vast majority of F-4B sorties would probably contain air-mud ordnance with a mix of air-to-air as deemed appropriate.

Yes there were still B's. See my edited post earlier showing such load on VMFA-115 F-4B during that period at Nam Phong.

Here's also an earlier war example with air load:

115-2.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
add pic

6 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

I am assuming that they removed all the raised patches that plagued the 1/32 kits?  I don't see them on the CAD renders. 

Greg

You're right!! Didn't even notice. I can't tell, but did they get the angle of the outer wings right?

Don

6 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

It would be interesting to learn what percentage of their LSPs are sold to customers in Japan.  I’d think with everyone living cheek by jowl in relatively small abodes that shelf space for finished LSP models would be at an absolute premium.

THat's what I thought as well, but when we visited the Shizuoka Hobby Show in 2014,  I was surprised to see five HK Models 1:32 B-17s on various stands, and one gentleman showed me his scratchbuilt 1:48 HP Hastings.  The wings of the Hastings were detachable, and it was finished to such a standard that the join at the wing/body fairing was just like a panel line.  Maybe that's how they do it?

51 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

I am assuming that they removed all the raised patches that plagued the 1/32 kits?  I don't see them on the CAD renders. 

Greg

I would be surprised if this model hasn't got completely new 3D surfaces to start with, and therefore have no relationship - CAD-wise - to the 1:32 kit.