1/48 Tamiya F-4B

Dragon

What strikes me is a comment that retail on this will be over $100.00.  That says to me that cost for tamiya to produce airplane kits to their standard are really going up.  This may be a big factor on why we are not seeing more 1/32.  Unfortunately this may be revealing why we may not see more for some time.

2 hours ago, cbk57 said:

What strikes me is a comment that retail on this will be over $100.00.  That says to me that cost for tamiya to produce airplane kits to their standard are really going up.  This may be a big factor on why we are not seeing more 1/32.  Unfortunately this may be revealing why we may not see more for some time.

Western governments have been printing money without any economic growth to support its value. The kit's cost may well be reflective of currency concerns as the world attempts to move past the pandemic. Please don't take those comments as political, one way or the other. Just simple facts.

Edited by ivanmoe

The one immediate advantage I can see compared to the ZM kit, is that Tamiya have correctly portrayed the inter-canopy arch as the widest part of the structure.

ZM have parallel canopy rails which look odd if you know the subject.

Also the windscreen looks like it's part of the forward nose structure which again is a nice bonus for delineating the transparent portion properly.

I suspect the Mossie was a failure.  I don't think it sold well. My LHS brought in several. I bought one of them but the others just sat and sat.

I started my build with great excitement and have it about 80% done but it's now sat on the shelf of doom for at least 18 months or longer.  I burnt out on it.

I think Wolf Buddee did two.  I don't think his is finished yet either and about the same time period. 

1 hour ago, Chek said:

I can't help but think the Mosquito with no engines and a 50% price reduction would have done much better sales wise.

Revell were knocking out basic Beaufighters and Mosquitoes for decades. A quality, unsophisticated basic Tamiya update could have done the same I feel.

Have to say, you've just described how Hasegawa does/did kits. I have the Corsair/Mustang/Mosquito in the stash, i open the box and am intimidated by the kit, mostly by the sheer part count and stuff that i know i will leave in the spares box when/if i build them. I do like the idea of a "hollow" Mossie, engines/bombay details/gun details will all be left out on my build, but that's just me...

Don

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Have to say, you've just described how Hasegawa does/did kits. I have the Corsair/Mustang/Mosquito in the stash, i open the box and am intimidated by the kit, mostly by the sheer part count and stuff that i know i will leave in the spares box when/if i build them. I do like the idea of a "hollow" Mossie, engines/bombay details/gun details will all be left out on my build, but that's just me...

Don

But isn't why we do this?

Get satisfaction from assembling and painting these fantastic kits?

Just sayin

1 hour ago, markiii said:

Just sayin

It's pointless if the its go unbuilt. I won't get through the Mossie so why buy it? We here are not casual buyers. Casual buyers out number us. Tamiya may have paid too much attention to folks like us. 

It's business. 

10 hours ago, markiii said:

Just sayin

Yes, absolutely. How one modeller wants to fill the build compared to another is the difference. Like i said, "but that's just me".

Don

14 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I suspect the Mossie was a failure.  I don't think it sold well. My LHS brought in several. I bought one of them but the others just sat and sat.

I started my build with great excitement and have it about 80% done but it's now sat on the shelf of doom for at least 18 months or longer.  I burnt out on it.

I think Wolf Buddee did two.  I don't think his is finished yet either and about the same time period. 

I had a Mosquito and sold it, I think there is a point with LSPs that they become too LSP.  When you get multiple detailed engines and so on it becomes a real beast.  I cannot imagine ever building a 1/32 B-17 or Lancaster.  I think of the Tamiya kits in terms of sub assemblies and that Mosquito had a bunch of major ones that were intricate and increadibly detailed.  A builder like Wolf could easily spend two years on a subject like that.  I heard a great podcast with Mike Rinladi and he won:t touch 1/32 for his books because it becomes at least a 1 year commitment for him to do a single kit.

I agree on the Mosquito. I have purchased the Tamiya kit twice now. The Fighter Bomber variants are probably my all time favourite aircraft so it was a must have kit for me as soon as it was announced. Well it arrived and I was daunted by the box contents. So much so I sold it on after it kept getting put further and further down the build pile due to its complexity. About 6 months later I bought another having thought about it and regretting selling the first one. I did attempt a start at the second kit but soon got bogged down and put it away. It’s just too much kit for me to take on. I’m currently waiting for some replacement sprues to replace bits I’d started on and once they arrive I’ll be looking to move this one on too.