For our UK Colleagues who use Sprue Brothers

Juggernut

I read this on Sprue Brothers website this afternoon:

Suspension of Shipping to the United Kingdom

Please be aware that we are temporarily suspending shipping to the United Kingdom/Northern Ireland due to their new VAT collection requirements.  We are reviewing what our options are and will update you once we make a final decision on how this can be and will be handled. 

Edited by Juggernut
changed text to italics.

I’m guessing that you means this:

Please be aware that we are temporarily suspending shipping to the United Kingdom/Northern Ireland due to their new VAT collection requirements.  We are reviewing what our options are and will update you once we make a final decision on how this can be and will be handled.   

thank you for the heads up

tbh i haven't bought anything from Sprue or Barracuda in years now, but i am sure some still do

shipping from Stateside is just crushing, and our beloved Royal Mail would screw us over for some additional tax collection charge blah blah

I am sure some people will cite this as another indication that the world is ending because of Brexit, but the reality is it wasn't economical for a while

lots of European retailers are doing the same btw because of the UK govt's insistence on VAT collection, and i don't blame them (Govt policy is a bit bonkers!)

luckily the UK market (Hannants, ebay sellers) is big enough to get pretty much anything you want at comparable prices, and if you want cheap kits nothing can beat ebay from Chinese sellers (for the things I buy, anyway)

happy modelling

Nick

I have used Spruebrothers off and on for a while, for stuff I couldn’t get here like AMS or GT Resin things. But as others have pointed out shipping has been a killer for anything larger than an envelope for a while now, and that’s going both ways across the Atlantic. Though I did get lucky on my last couple of orders and they sailed through Customs unmolested so didn’t get the extra ‘handling’ charge. My Barracuda order though, not so lucky on that one Customs decided they liked the look of that one. I normally order that stuff from Hannants but they had little of what I needed in stock so ordered direct. MRP have also stopped shipping to the UK (only shipping to their stockists here now). Luckily I had an idea this would be an issue after Covid and Brexit so went on a splurge of kits and supplies and aftermarket in the second half of last year. 

Well I got my package from the US just found it in the greenhouse [ I was out ] a set of 100 model railway wheelsets no problem at all, the import charges were paid up front so the breakdown was this:-

Item         $83.00

Shipping  $22.82

Import charges $26.26

Total $132.08

It took 12 days to get here which I think is very good.

Graham

So I have been reading up on this today, The UK VAT change was nothing to do with Brexit, the EU had planned to change their VAT rules at the same time but because of Covid this has been delayed until July.

So even Ebay sellers will be impacted by this if they sell their products into Europe after July, basically Ebay will have a system to show the extra amount and take it at payment source which I suppose if you're small at least keeps you out of the VAT scenario.

My guess is that a lot of business will melt away in the next couple of years for small businesses, this leaves small people who are trying to grow their business at a disadvantage and won't probably effect large businesses which is probably the intention.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...