Who’s into R/C things?

1 minute ago, ssculptor said:

There is an RC Group who fly ultra light ultra slow RC in an armory in New Jersey. That's my speed! You cant lose it since you can trot along side it while it is flying and actually reach out and grab it in flight. 

Since such activities are suspended due to the current plague, I am working up RC control for my large scale model railroad trains. ssculptor

ll

7 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Here is a question for you:  How far away, or how high can the remote reach the plane? 

We use to take them so high you could barely make out the shape of the airplane.  Line of sight range was pretty good.   But I flew on a military base when I did it, and over to the far left of the field there was something about 500-600 yards out that would cause a glitch in the signal.  If you were too low in that area you could lose an airplane. Some did.  Military base had all kinds of strange RF floating around.  Now this was back in the old 72 Mhz. days.

I will tell you my R/C fantasy...  It may be mad, and may have been superseded by modern technology.  But I wanted to make a 1/3 scale me-163 Komet.  The simple motor would be a pipe or pipes holding  solid rocket launching cylinders...I'm not even sure what they are called properly.  I admit I have a total lack of knowledge of the area.  It was just something I wanted to do... to mimic that awesome rate of climb.

Of course, I would experiment a little bit...  Just like me and my buddies did when we found an entire can of black gunpowder in our teens.  Fortunately nobody lost any digits, appendages, or eyes.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I will tell you my R/C fantasy...  It may be mad, and may have been superseded by modern technology.  But I wanted to make a 1/3 scale me-163 Komet.  The simple motor would be a pipe or pipes holding  solid rocket launching cylinders...I'm not even sure what they are called properly.  I admit I have a total lack of knowledge of the area.  It was just something I wanted to do... to mimic that awesome rate of climb.