Battle of Britain Hurricane camouflage demarcation, hard or soft? 2 photos.

mpk

Mats or no mats, look at Edgar’s comment. A one inch “feather” in any scale that we may frequent is going to look like a hard demarcation line. Also, I note that the few pictures I have seen that show hard lines are viewed from distance and soft lines are close up. Pick what you think is right and go for it.

Toluene was used as an initial test of the Death Star. Poor intermix in the plasma beam meant that the planet was not totally destroyed but split into fractions of carbon and hydrogen in a 7:8 ratio. The two resulting sub planets were named Methyl and Benzene. HTH.

4 hours ago, DonH said:

Mats or no mats, look at Edgar’s comment. A one inch “feather” in any scale that we may frequent is going to look like a hard demarcation line. Also, I note that the few pictures I have seen that show hard lines are viewed from distance and soft lines are close up.

My feelings precisely Don. 

Hi,

You can see demarcation lines on the Hurricanes in final assembly here at 3:00 and 5:00. The 3:00 scene shows painting the serial number by hand but just at the right the division between both colors is visible. 

If you are interested, watch reels 1 through 4 for an instructive view into Hurricane construction and test flights.

Alain

Thanks Alain, fascinating stuff! Seeing the hand painting that was taking place with the roundel and serial number made me think about this picture from the book on Cobber Kain that I've just finished:

FdjcZO.png

No doubting the sharpness of those demarcation camouflage lines, but perhaps in the earlier days of the war the camouflage too was hand painted?

Edited by mozart

13 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Alain, fascinating stuff! Seeing the hand painting that was taking place with the roundel and serial number made me think about this picture from the book on Cobber Kain that I've just finished:

FdjcZO.png

No doubting the sharpness of those demarcation camouflage lines, but perhaps in the earlier days of the war the camouflage too was hand painted?

Interesting stuff on the early Hurricanes, your picture here Max looks like a very early Hurricanes with no tail wheel fillet? Is this from around the time of the BEF. 

Great picture by the way!

Regards Andy 

Yes Andy, Cobber Kain served with 73 Squadron in France during the spring of 1940. Initially all their Hurricanes, and those of 1 Squadron were early types with Watts props, many with no tail fillets etc but replacements from England incorporated variable-speed three bladed props and tail fillets. 

15 minutes ago, mozart said:

Yes Andy, Cobber Kain served with 73 Squadron in France during the spring of 1940. Initially all their Hurricanes, and those of 1 Squadron were early types with Watts props, many with no tail fillets etc but replacements from England incorporated variable-speed three bladed props and tail fillets. 

I have a PCM early Mk1 which I'm planning on building as a very early machine and that picture you posted gives real inspiration.

Regards. Andy