Priller Double Thriller Part 2 - Trumpeter Bf 109 E3 1940 Complete

Panzerwomble

Greetings - Part Deux. 

For this I will be building the "inferior" Trumpeter kit .....although with a decent fit and parts count , PE, etc seems ok to me and it comes with a Priller scheme -BTW  this comment is not an invitiation to explain how 3 rivets are in the wrong place please ....  I'm having fun , don't suck the joy out of it for me  ! 

Two LSP's in one year as opposed to one a year .... hmmmm am I turning to the dark side ... .? Why is that Pz Mark IV looking at me strangely from the shelf ..?

So ...enough of my yacking ....rocking on....references ....sprues , & starting to put it all together . I'll be back later with pics when it's painted :D

Pic of the real thing - 25 year old Lt Priller of 6/JG51  Summer 1940....there are pics out there showing different schemes as the campaign went on perhaps more mottling more yellow and the wings don't look to be splinter on some ....see what you think . BTW  I'm digging the Raven with a Cold ...

Probably what I'll go with , is that nose yellow ?

britflyer-190826-5d644ae0b547b.jpg

This one a bit earlier maybe no mottling at all ? ...although contrast and tonality is such a sod with old B/W shots. 

Messerschmitt-Bf-109-E3-6-JG51-Yellow-1-

Doesn't look splinter cammo , and has someone P/shopped the swasitka of the tail ??

britflyer-190826-5d644ae0ead50.jpg

The bordeaux was a good one . ...

9-FC946-D6-2869-4025-82-E8-56-A338942-EC

3-D5-CAD9-B-759-B-4-FE9-BAD1-372-C456147

6-B6-AA18-E-9-A57-4-CEB-B242-AF0228009-F

9927410-D-E0-E7-45-A3-A575-67-B2-BCAEC24

Edited by Panzerwomble
Title Change

Those are three very interesting photos.  In the first, I would definitely say the nose was yellow. 

On the second, I don't know that I would rush to conclusions about not being splinter.  The splinter, had a soft edge, despite how it is portrayed on many models.  Also note that on the wing, there is enough light playing on the surface to make the line between wing and elevator invisible.

The third photo is most intriguing of all.  It certainly allows you to go beyond the normal factory and additional directives given as the BoB progressed.  Too bad Priller never wrote a book.

@MikeMaben @Gazzas

Thanks for the thoughts and pics. Just goes to show "what RLM says on page 435..." and what happended in the field can be quite different :D 

Not my area of expertise at all, and TBH I don't even know if it is pictures of the same aircraft ...ie I've no idea if he was shot down at all that summer . It looks to me that the amount of camouflage was added to as the campaign went on but his is purely my guess . It is a pity he didn't live longer , he died just after advising on "The Longest Day " but agree he probably had some great stories to tell  .

BTW your comment on another thread about "no one left alive who ever saw it for real" resonates with me Mr M :clap2:

Anyway back to the show ....

Cockpit and engine mostly done , ready for zipping up tommorrow hopefully . Trumpeter colour instructions are vague , so making it up to a degree ( with the odd image search for 109 cockits) as we go, throwing airscale decals at it for good measure . Seat will go in towards the end , so I can mask it up easier . 

F7-CC7288-32-C8-4364-B431-39-F13393-BEDB

DB0-C36-B3-C5-C3-4-A89-B800-2-CA91-A78-B

79-DF4-A85-9-B72-4-F06-9078-EC70753-D8-B

Edited by Panzerwomble
Spelllllllinggggg

9 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

@MikeMaben @Gazzas

I don't even know if it is pictures of the same aircraft ...ie I've no idea if he was shot down at all that summer . It looks to me that the amount of camouflage was added to as the campaign went on but his is purely my guess .

Apparently he was never shot down.

Curiouser and curiouser . Having found this info regarding his career -  Linky (and again I'm always a bit dubious of stuff I don't know found on line) , the pic showing 21 victories would look to be in 1941 ...which may explain if the aircraft had a bit of a repaint over winter 40 -41. All this can be such a rabbit hole though !

And it looks like he wrote a book in 1956 , altough it would appear German only . History of JG26

Edited by Panzerwomble

Further unrelated musings .....

"JG26 pilot Steinhilper records in his diary that yellow paint arrived at aerodromes on August 24th with orders to paint all cowlings immediately. This order was direct from Goering but unpopular with commanders. It was for identification purposes because Goering claimed that the skies would be full of Luftwaffe."

Other sources claim sometime around mid August .

Makes dating the photos even a little harder, and forces my hand on how to paint it .  The fuse and wings are now all one , and there is some filling and priming going on . Pics later . 

Pics 

Now one piece, filled , primered with light blue , done the yellow . Top tip from my bike spraying days , when spraying bright colours, reds, oranges, yellow etc, undercoat with white for a bright colour , spray over grey and it'll dull it right down .  

80816887-DA73-4235-B402-0-F1-C60-D00592.

ED52-F731-467-A-4998-943-D-F4-FD906-DFD4

19 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

... the pic showing 21 victories would look to be in 1941 ...which may explain if the aircraft had a bit of a repaint over winter 40 -41.

At the end of '40 and early '41 he was flying an E-7 after which he flew an F-4.

The pix posted here are an E-3 (he flew an E-1 earlier). With that many victories

in an E-3 it's very likely BoB vintage if that's what you're mainly concerned with.

Nice work so far.  :thumbsup:

On 1/25/2021 at 6:26 AM, MikeMaben said:

At the end of '40 and early '41 he was flying an E-7 after which he flew an F-4.

The pix posted here are an E-3 (he flew an E-1 earlier). With that many victories

in an E-3 it's very likely BoB vintage if that's what you're mainly concerned with.

Nice work so far.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike for the background info , I think thats cleared up the way I'm going to go with this one ....classic yellow nosed BOB Emil , which is why I wanted to build this in the first place rather than a G :D . All round the houses to end up where I started :rofl:

So here's where we are at 48 hours later .... colours mostly done and covered in gloss awaiting my favourite activity ... decalling . ..

Back soon ....

B9165-E8-F-D999-4770-B959-9-C46-C5-D8839

7-F47404-B-5739-45-C1-AF0-A-7-F78-DC3685

D3-ECA6-F7-1839-4931-94-D0-4-D1919-EFD84

2 hours ago, Chris Wimmer said:

Holy crap, I wish I was only half as fast as you! Looks very good!  :clap2:

cheers

Chris

Cheers - I think I just have a lot of spare time on my hands now with the Covid lockdowns. Plus it's all 99% OOB . 

Edited by Panzerwomble