Best aftermarket for 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ???

Aviacom

As the title asks, what’s the best aftermarket for the Tamiya F-16CJ??

Cockpit - Aires or Avionix?

Wheelbays - Aires or CMK?

Burner Can - Aires or Reskit?

Wheels - Aires or ???

Anything else??

I will be building a USAFE Block 50 aircraft and already have the kit, not I’m just starting to gather the aftermarket on recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

with careful painting the cockpit is really good

the wheel bays are nice much more detail but from what I have gathered they are a real pita to fit ditto the cockpit the wheels are fine as is the burner see above.  I did a back date to a  block 40 so I added the scab plates and had to find a different hud.  I love aftermarket but sometimes it just complicates a fine model and takes away from the enjoyment of building and painting it  often time it is not worth the effort just my  2 cents

p4112571209-6.jpg

p4112571210-6.jpg

p4112571206-6.jpg

p4112571266-6.jpg

p4112571205-6.jpg

If I were building one with aftermarkets, I’d go Aires for all except the burner can. For that, I’d choose the Reskit, based on what I’ve experienced with their other exhausts I’ve purchased. 
That been said, I’d probably say to save the money you’d spend on aftermarket, and buy another kit. The F-16 is a fantastic kit straight from the box. One of Tamiya’s finest in my humble opinion. 

I plan to build mine pretty much stock out of the box with Cruz's LH HARM targeting pod, decoy dispenser and a Sniper pod.  Not sure what scheme to do but I'm heavily leaning on the Have Glass paint scheme (already purchased the MRP Have Glass paint combo to do it and have the Speed Hunter Graphics (LSP jmel)) to use on them...BUT!  Now that I have a Cameo Silouette 4 cutter...I'm not limited to the choices on Jake's sheet (although they are very good ones).  I also have Jake's book on the F-16C/D  and Pete's book on the modeling the F-16, so I think I'm set with references for details with the possible exception of the HMCS...that's going to be a little tough for me to create but I fudge it somehow.  Oh!  The Tamiya Viper kit does not come with the canopy spider (lock).... I call it the spider and I've no idea whether that's the actual term used or if I dreamed that up somewhere but it's the yellow thingie that prevents opening the canopy when you don't want to.

Edited by Juggernut

7 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

If I were building one with aftermarkets, I’d go Aires for all except the burner can. For that, I’d choose the Reskit, based on what I’ve experienced with their other exhausts I’ve purchased. 
That been said, I’d probably say to save the money you’d spend on aftermarket, and buy another kit. The F-16 is a fantastic kit straight from the box. One of Tamiya’s finest in my humble opinion. 

I fully agree. You pretty much need nothing for this kit. I think I used somes bits of PE for the structural reinforcements on the top surfaces and the seat and that's it.

And the money not spent on expensive AM will finance the next kit.

But of course, in the end that's your choice. ;)

Edited by discus

Afterburner - I have the Aires one which I bought way before ResKit even showed up on the radar, and I decided to purchase the ResKit one.  ResKit also makes a closed nozzle if that is what you would prefer, and the rivet detail on the outside can be removed if you're careless with the primer and micromesh.  Aires has a problem with shrinkage of their parts, and case in point, both the main and nose wheel wells are too short by a couple of millimeters.  The detail is beautiful, but the size discrepancy make them unuseable for me if I was to build my model wheels down.  Cockpit?  Again, the detail is beautiful, but as my model will have the canopy closed and in flight, the trouble of installing it is not worth the effort.  I will use Quinta Studios instrument and console placards (that does include the yellow "spider" that Juggernut talks about).  There is a noticeable difference in size between the Aires seat and the kit seat.  For wheels, I'd take a good look at ResKit again.  Can't comment on the CMK or Avionix parts.

Hi Aviacom,

I'm inclined to agree with dashotgun and the others. This is a fine kit and builds up beautifully out of the box. The cockpit has all of the detail except the yellow spider handle on the port side. Some careful painting will reveal all of the relevant knobs and buttons, switches etc. The seat isn't bad although it can be improved with little effort. The most noticable area where it benefits from some tlc is the cushion since many modern jets use a sheepskin cushion.

Not much can be seen of the inside of the wheel bays with the aircraft on it's wheels. Most of the wheel bay architecture is provided by Tamiya so a wash and some detail painting makes these areas pop.

The nozzle is superb and although it doesn't have any rivet detail like some aftermarket parts as Pete explained much of the rivet detail is overly exaggerated. 

Depending on how realistic you want to make your bird it could be worth considering aftermarket stores if you are determined to splurge on aftermarket. 

Zactomodels make some beautiful AIM-120s AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles although the AIM-9X are currently out of stock. 

There are Sniper pods available  and the left hand mounted targetting pod too from Wolfpack (couldn't link directly to each product but search in the 1/32nd resin menu).

On my build I chose an aftermarket ECM pod by DJ Parkins but there are others available too. 

Whatever you choose to do I'm confident that you'll enjoy your Viper. Everything fits perfectly and the finished model is an impressive size. 

Perhaps you'll share your journey in the work in progress forum? 

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a tamiya f-16 ready to start, but I’m unable to due to new carpet coming some resulting in the house being turned upside down!

The aftermarket parts I’m going for are Reskit exhaust and wheels, they’re simply awesome.

For the cockpit I have the Aires, avoinix and the Wolfpack kit designed for the Academy kit. I probably use a mix.

I’ll also use the Masters pivot, aoa probes and static discharges as well.

For the cockpit there’s also the new ‘3d’ printed decals that look awesome in the photos that I’ve seen, but I don’t have any. 

Good luck with your build Aviacom!