Tornado Aftermarket a catch all thread

Scotsman

A couple of questions regarding the upcoming Eduard stuff.  

Doesn’t the Brimstone rack also require a downward angled pylon when used on the Tornado?  Not sure if it’s all of the time, but definitely when it’s carried in the common position behind the targeting pod on the left fuselage pylon.

Also, do the RAF Tornados use GBU-49?  I’ve just seen the enhanced GBU-12s as in the kit, with the hardback and GPS discs on the seeker section.  The only thing missing is the short cable fairing on the side of the seeker.  The GBU-49s shown don’t have the hardback, and have the cable fairing running all of the way down the side of the bomb body.

Even if it's not , this suggests that scratch building the mount won't beyone the skills of anyone here 

1122px-The_Brimstone_Missile_fitted_to_a

Paveway GBU Details

A quick scan of this site above does suggest that that the GBU-49 was used by the RAF in Iraq and Afghanistan. although it seems as though the GBU-29 seems to have been a more common weapon , but my goodness the whole 500lb LGB is a maze!

Edited by Scotsman

Lights, Sound, Action...! :coolio:

For anyone wanting to take their Tornado to the next level how about fitting working navigation lights, landing and taxying lights, cockpit lights, flashing beacons, flickering exhausts and authentic start-up and shutdown sounds....? 

I was toying with the idea of fitting nav lights myself with some nano LEDs when I came across this little lot:

https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/shop/Panavia-Tornado-1-32-With-Sound-p312824958

Modelling fundamentalists... please don't shoot the messenger! :D

Rich

4 hours ago, otis252 said:

It's actually good that the adapters are separate or need to be scratch built. These launchers are also used on the Typhoon, which I don't believe use the wedge adapters.

Chuck

Larger wedges were needed for the launchers fitted to the rear of each shoulder pylon. This was to stop the missiles hitting the launchers fitted to the forward ERUs of the shoulder pylons. A shallower angle wedge was required for the forward launchers to enable missles to clear the LRMTS and FLIR fairings.

Edited by Tomjw

• 4 weeks later...

You wait for one bus to come along and then...

Red Fox Studio from Hungary is jumping into the world of cockpit 3D detailing decals producing a growing range under their "Quick Set" brand. They also do decals  and soon to release a resin range. Red Fox Studio has a growing catalogue of products with items already in 1/32nd scale, 1/48th scale and now 1/24th scale : https://rfstudio.hu/

There are 2 cockpit sets for a 1/32 Tornado GR.1/IDS and ECR (not the GR.4 so far). They are quite expensive but having seen a review of another item in their range I'm seriously tempted (apparently they match cockpit colours accurately, unlike some other after-market cockpits...). As I will probably only ever make one Tornado in 1/32 scale and it will probably be a Tornado GR.1...  :hmmm:

Rich (trying hard to justify a set...)

b61f8bb007f42c09f01cf885fcd32119.jpg

Edited by RichG

4 hours ago, RichG said:

You wait for one bus to come along and then...

Red Fox Studio from Hungary is jumping into the world of cockpit 3D detailing decals producing a growing range under their "Quick Set" brand. They also do decals  and soon to release a resin range. Red Fox Studio has a growing catalogue of products with items already in 1/32nd scale, 1/48th scale and now 1/24th scale : https://rfstudio.hu/

There are 2 cockpit sets for a 1/32 Tornado GR.1/IDS and ECR (not the GR.4 so far). They are quite expensive but having seen a review of another item in their range I'm seriously tempted (apparently they match cockpit colours accurately, unlike some other after-market cockpits...). As I will probably only ever make one Tornado in 1/32 scale and it will probably be a Tornado GR.1...  :hmmm:

Rich (trying hard to justify a set...)

b61f8bb007f42c09f01cf885fcd32119.jpg

In another thread, they say they match the colors to the paints listed in the kit instructions.  That’s why the first iteration of their 1/32 F-117 cockpit had a gray background IP instead of black, which is the actual color.  The Trumputer instructions said to paint the cockpit gray.  They released a newer version (called “late”) that fixed the colors.

• 2 weeks later...