Trumpeter 1/24 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I.

mpk

5 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Re my comment on a small amount of weathering, you mentioned that you were wondering how to weather the model as British summers aren't that harsh.  Too true :lol:.  Most of the pictures I've seen seem to indicate mild scratching except around the wing root, not much engine soot, and perhaps some cordite streaking around the gun ports and shell ejector outlets.  Generally, I think they were kept clean as most of the Flight Sargeants at that time would have been doing the job in the prewar era and would likely have given any "slovenly" maintenance crews a minor dressing down if a plane wasn't maintained in top shape, inside and out.  The other ting is that many planes didn't last for more than a three or four months in service anyway.  Just my thoughts on that subject.

Cheers,

Michael

Hey Michael.

Hence my dilemma. Originally I had it, over weathered. Comparing it to photos I found I couldn't justify it. So I stripped it. This is of course after I stripped it. :frantic:

I currently have 1011 hurricane photos saved to my Pinterest account. Hurricanes in North Africa and Asia were the most weathered. Many BoB photos I possess of BoB hurricanes are weathered heavily but in different ways.

An 8 year old boy was over the other day to play drums. He had a very valid criticism. Looking at it as it is now, he said "It looks plastic."

I had to agree. 

With that in mind I'm trying to figure out how to not over do it, but keep it interesting....

:hmmm:

I've been putting a lot of thought into how to weather this model.....???

After much thought I have devised a method. I've named it, "Light and shade".

Let me know what you think. Personally, I find it enlightening. 

I call the first, Light. 

LFXGYt.jpg

The effect is surprising. 

PggYRP.jpg

The next I call, More Light.

yfKOpL.jpg

Frankly, this is dazzling. 

r30OQj.jpg

The following I call, Shade away.

FhHWbr.jpg

This I call, Add more Light.

z7R9K7.jpg

TXqWhr.jpg

go5vhW.jpg

This is the most alluring. I call it, Advanced shade.

essCGk.jpg

Your thoughts appreciated. 

Edited by mpk

It all looks good, just don't put it on the wall outside again please :blush:

Tell you what though , for all the concern over Tichymechymod decals they have turned out really superb ...unless you ditched them and stencilled instead ? 

Edited by Panzerwomble

Disaster while weathering. I used a Tamiya flat rattle can as a quick way to capture the colours. 

The can was fine until it spat onto the paint. It quickly melted through the paint. In my efforts to save the finish I lost a crucial decal. 

I have ordered another set of decals.

I'm putting this model aside for a couple of weeks. 

E6rP9f.jpg

:BANGHEAD2:

It truly does not want to be finished this one . Shelf of doom it for a while to teach it the error of it's ways . :evil_laugh:

It's brings back for me, memories of the second Roden Gladiator I launched from the bench because no matter what...and just likes it's predeccessor  it wouldn't cooperate ....well that was my rationale ! 

• 2 weeks later...

This is all happening in real time.

Having brushed off excess chalk and pigment, I just gave it a flat clear coat.

qmSEiY.jpg

7yLORP.jpg

AFQTNt.jpg

I am making this up as I go along. Unsure what next to try?

I now have well over 1000 photos of hurricanes. Some BoB hurricanes weathered greatly, others not so much. I guess it was due to how busy they were. 

Here's a couple of reference photos I am using. 

0IMDDx.jpg

nsN6vD.jpg