First Build of the Year FW190 A-6

Greif8

I completed this year's first build last night, Hasegawa's very nice FW 190 A-6 kit.  I built the kit as a JG1 aircraft, mostly because I really liked the yellow and black checkerboard pattern on the cowling and the partial stylized eagle on both sides of the forward fuselage.  As JG1 generally flew out of airbases with asphalt or concrete hardstands and runways; and because the service life of aircraft were almost always pretty short from late 43 onwards, I kept weathering to a minimum - with the noticeable exception of the drop tank. 

I only used three AM items on the build.   An HGW seatbelt, Master barrels and pitot tube, and a set of Damian's outstanding landing gear (I'll using more of these excellent sets on future builds.  They are that good.). 

I also only did some simple and minor scratch building adding brake and electrical lines to the landing gear, flap and landing gear position indicators, an antenna line, and a throttle handle and circuit breaker panel in the cockpit.  I also scratched the base by scribing some evergreen stuff and then painting and weathering it.  I added the rain puddles because I thought the base looked a bit "boring" after I painted it.  Those puddles is one area that I wish had turned out better, but they do the job I suppose.

First up are some overall shots.

Ernest

IMG_2846

I mostly closed the canopy hoping that it would lead the viewer to think that the weather is still threatening rain.   I toyed with the idea of adding wet areas

to the aircraft as well, but decided that had too high of a potential for disaster.  So I opted to show the bird dry - perhaps it has just been pushed out of the 

hanger.

IMG_2848

IMG_2850

IMG_2852

IMG_2854

IMG_2856

IMG_2889

Finally, some shots of the pilot figure which turned out pretty good.  It is one of the rare figures I do that I am completely satisfied with.  The face and hands were painted using artist oils and the uniform was first airbrushed with acrylic colors and the highlights and shadows were added using the same colors, lightened or darkened as appropriate, using a "wet pallet" hand brushing technique.

Ernest

IMG_2864

IMG_2868

IMG_2869

Same angle/distance with softer lighting.

IMG_2871

IMG_2859

IMG_2914

Extreme macro showing some of the detail painting.  You can also now see the sharp (at macro range) delineation of the flesh tones.  At 1/32 scale they have 

to be pretty defined, because the light and shadow effect will disappear at normal viewing range if they are too subtle.

IMG_2916

Edited by Greif8

15 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Beautiful work, Ernest!  Really like the thought you put in to the presentation. I look forward to many more coming from Grief8 Werke.

Cheers,

Damian

Thank you for the compliments Damian, hopefully I will have as productive a year as I had last year. 

Ernest