Superglue and health effects

Phartycr0c

Well this pretty much seals the deal. You wouldn't believe the time I spent wondering what the hell was going on. I used to keep bees and stings from them didnt cause any issues allergy wise. Strange how the human body reacts. 

Th glues I have been using thus far doesn't really have an odour per se but it is really the only thing that connects the dots. No modelling while i was building the man shed .... clear as a bell. building the 189 prior to, and starting again with tons of phot etch on my Missouri kit and hey presto off i went again. 

So Change of glue coming up and ill give the nasal spray a go. 

Thanks for the input all. I am not alone! 

7 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Well this pretty much seals the deal. You wouldn't believe the time I spent wondering what the hell was going on. I used to keep bees and stings from them didnt cause any issues allergy wise. Strange how the human body reacts. 

Th glues I have been using thus far doesn't really have an odour per se but it is really the only thing that connects the dots. No modelling while i was building the man shed .... clear as a bell. building the 189 prior to, and starting again with tons of phot etch on my Missouri kit and hey presto off i went again. 

So Change of glue coming up and ill give the nasal spray a go. 

Thanks for the input all. I am not alone! 

you're certainly NOT alone, as all our members above have indicated problems and/or solutions from time to time, i myself had the biggest nasal problems (sinusses) when using CA glue to assemble resin kits...........so, i almost gave up on the resin stuff, still have lots of them unbuilt, but working with these kits and using CA glues, i wear a genuine gassmask (approved and checked) but it scares the grandchildren running in on my workplace :doh:

Sounds awful Dave. I don't like fumes of any kind while I'm building so

I clamped one of these a couple of feet away. 

51uaTk8nHaL._AC_.jpg

I don't think I have any allergies re modeling but this thing

also helps eliminate other fumes , like the ones eminating from me  :oops:

Good luck :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Sounds awful Dave. I don't like fumes of any kind while I'm building so

I clamped one of these a couple of feet away.

I do much the same, basically only in summer though, as it gets hotter than heck in the area where I tend to do most of my modeling. As far as fumes go, I like to keep open bottles well away from my face, usually at arms length, and that pretty much eliminates the majority of smells that may agitate me, which is one thing I most certainly do not need when modeling.

42 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I do much the same, basically only in summer though, as it gets hotter than heck in the area where I tend to do most of my modeling. As far as fumes go, I like to keep open bottles well away from my face, usually at arms length, and that pretty much eliminates the majority of smells that may agitate me, which is one thing I most certainly do not need when modeling.

I do the same but using CA glue up close still can present a problem.  As someone already mentioned the thin stuff is much more volatile.

Good point Dave. I find using CA is a bit like chopping raw onions...don't get too close!

Plenty of good advice here (thanks all). I guess that the exact number of active ingredients in CA can vary with differing results for different people (I am no chemist here, so do not really know what the 'nasties' are in CA).

AFAIK, for CA glue to react (and set), it requires moisture, which of course, we have lots of in our eyes and nose/throat, which is exactly why it irritates us so much (good ventilation and a fan obviously help here). Another thing to consider is that as we age, we can, in general, also become more sensitised to chemicals that never really bothered us when we were younger.

I suppose that a really good epoxy resin that is truly fast setting (and sets hard, not 'rubbery') would go a long way of providing an alternative to CA for some applications?

Cheers

Derek  

I've had some pretty bad reactions to CA fumes, too, regardless of the brand I'm using. Even a small whiff now will give me a reaction in my sinuses. I now use a fan, which helps. The last time I had a reaction, I was wondering if I needed to move to my spray booth any time I needed to use CA. A little Googling turned up lots of forum posts in different professions and hobbies, plus a scientific paper about CA-induced rhinitis and asthma in beauty professionals. Apparently, it's commonly used to apply eyelash extensions. :huh:  

Ben

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

Another thing to consider is that as we age, we can, in general, also become more sensitised to chemicals that never really bothered us when we were younger.

Cheers

Derek  

I've noticed a whole range of things that are changing as I age, none of which are good.