Superglue and health effects

Phartycr0c

Right if you could bear with me on this one, Its probably going to be a lengthy tome that leads up to a simple question. 

Intermittently, I have been suffering from what can only be described as alergic type symptoms, mainly blocked sinuses dry eys and a runny nose....... No not covid..

I have been wracking my brain as to the possible cause, not the cat because she is around teh house all the time and this is intermittent. Not hayfever as its not a seasonal / regular thing. Not paint related as I mask up and have not developed the same symptoms afterwards. Not been sanding resin, anyhow I use tons of water and a mask when I do, 

The only connection I can make is when I am using CA based glues mainly for photoetch.

The stuff I use is from the local model shop and is not a branded make, that said i have read health warnigs on the bottle and it says basically dont stick your fingers together. 

to all intents and purposes it is odourless but on sitting and thinking about it, The more i am becoming convinced that this may be the issue. 

Last use was Saturday, Symptoms came on Sunday afternoon and abated Monday evening. 

I am going to explore this area further changing brands etc but my question is, has anyone else experienced similar symptoms when using CA glues.

Since you are using an “unbranded” CA glue and don’t know what the ingredients are in the bottle/ tube, you may be allergic to some or one of the ingredients in that CA glue. Ask your local hobby some to give you a list of what they put into their glue. Another way to see if you are allergic to CA is to buy a branded glue and see if the same symptoms occur. Lastly, go see you doctor and relate to him or her your concerns.

Jim

One thought, because I suffer from this it's not a dust allergy is it? Since I've been living in a rural farming area it's got a lot worse with the Farmers/vandals operating here at close quarters 247 there's a lot of dust kicked up around us.

I've worked with lots of model makers over 30 years and I've not met anyone yet suffering from the glue fumes but it is nasty stuff.

Graham 

I do sometimes get a sting in the nasal passages and watery eyes if I’ve been using Zap Super Glues, I only have the medium viscosity one around at the moment due to switching to Gorilla Glue Gel and MiG Black super glue. I’d suffer almost right away. It wasn’t a prolonged exposure thing. But on the same hand, the issues go away pretty quickly. Within minutes of putting the stuff away for the most part.

Edited by ade rowlands

4 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

Since you are using an “unbranded” CA glue and don’t know what the ingredients are in the bottle/ tube, you may be allergic to some or one of the ingredients in that CA glue. Ask your local hobby some to give you a list of what they put into their glue. Another way to see if you are allergic to CA is to buy a branded glue and see if the same symptoms occur. Lastly, go see you doctor and relate to him or her your concerns.

Jim

Jim, Thats what Im pretty much planning on doing, Effectively starting at zero and trying to eliminate exactly the caus, then I can figure out the appropriate action.

First up would be an odourless alternative, anyone got ant suggestions? 

I get a type 4 reaction with allergic rhinitis after using CA. I now use a thick zapagap which is less volatile and put a blob on tape inside the spray booth with the fan on. It’s OK for a bit of work, but I used CA for a resin build once and was ruined.. 

avoid the thin volatile quick stuff if you can.

Keep in mind that as we age, we can develop new allergies to things that never bothered us in the past.  One of my guys at work became allergic to bananas at the age of 35. But as J.C. mentioned, the fumeless CA is the way to go.  When I was building RC airplanes we had to use fumeless on foam.   That right there speaks volumes about what is in this stuff if it melts foam.

I use to brag to everyone about not having any allergies.  About 10 years ago the fall blooms started kicking my butt.  And now that I'm even older I find myself allergic to weather changes.  I'm like a barometer with aches and pains when a front is moving through.

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Superglue and health effects

Just based on the smell of the stuff alone, I've always assumed it can't possibly be good for you, and I try to avoid breathing fumes whenever possible, but I can't say that I've ever had any specific reaction to it, but then I'm not prone to allergies of any sort (thank goodness).

I have an allergy to CA that took me years to diagnose, and nearly drove me out of the hobby. For the longest time, I thought it was the paint fumes that were causing the issue, and the symptoms could become so debilitating that I couldn't function. To cut a long story short, it turned out to be the CA I was using copiously, and our own Dr Dave suggested that I try a nasal spray called Flixonase. Dave's in the UK, but this product turned out to be available in Australia too, and it worked wonders. It's not a curative, but a preventative; you use it every morning for a few days or a week, and after that, you should have a certain level of comfort with the issue for a few weeks. And if you feel symptoms coming on again, just dose yourself for another few days, and you're good to go.

Kev